One-Synth-Challenge 60: Any One Synth - Submissions, Voting & Results

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

WOWOWOWOWWOWOW! :) An epic OSC indeed! ... congratulations to ALL participants, thanks for your priceless feedback (and votes :) )... my track was primarily intended as a gift, a tribute to this awesome community, as OSC has been a school of music for me (and I think this is true for a lot of you).

Finally, I've been rewarded far beyond my expectations. Again, thanks!

(btw, as a first gift, my internet connection was down for hours!!!!)

See you on next challenge!

My apologies for not voting, time simply didn't allow it :( Nevertheless congratulations to the winners of course and kudos to all the participants for the overall high quality of the tracks. Will try to at least throw around some soundcloud comments over the next weeks.

Then, thanks for those who voted the Ragnarök track up to 44th final place (if I counted correctly), not to shabby for a track that was thrown together in a few hours on one evening. Although I was (again) pushed for time, it was great fun to do the first (demo-)track for the synth. Again I bow to Björn's coding skills for building this beauty.

I will be out of participating in the OSC for the coming months, I simply can not free the time needed to do a track under a deadline, and also voting takes a lot of commitment with that many tracks to listen to and judge. There are other music-related things pressing, like getting 'that' plugin released :D, re-mastering several old analog tape recordings from my past, and simply making music that is 'not' linked to a contest ;)

I'm not going anywhere so I'll be around, commenting, listening to tracks and lend a helping hand if possible. The OSC is a great community within the KVR community and I'm happy to be (at least a little) part of it.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Congratulations to Bzur and all the winners!! :clap: Thank you to everyone that listend to my entry and commented on it!! :tu: I appreciate your inputs and have met some really nice kvrers here!! :hug: I will have to try again next time to obtain the Prize i wanted (or just save up another two years, which ever comes first :lol: ) The pligrimage to get Linplugs Octopus continues..... :pray:

Regards,

Winston Hulley aka DJ TB4C
The notes you don't play creates the silent gaps for you to hear the notes you do play :phones:

Congratulations to the winners and everyone else participating, been interesting to see the variety of tracks on some of the synths ( ending up purchasing one ).

Sadly I am going be out of participating for at least the next three months, can't give the commitment it needs each month, only manage to scramble something together the last few days for this one, mainly due to work commitments, plus looks like I have to have an operation in the next few months.

Just wanted to thank those who played and commented on my track and biggest thanks to bjporter and v'ger for the constant work they put into running a friendly competition in OSC, it's great fun and the community is tops :clap: . I have learned hell of a lot in the last 5 months (hopefully I have improved despite what the table says lol), it's kept me focused, made me delve down into sound creation and spurred me on to keep going in my musical journey. Really going to miss it :( .
So thank you for all that and may it keep going on for at least the next decade! :tu:

Congrats to the winners and to all the very creative runners-up who participated! I've been a member of KVR for quite a while, but to be honest I never even bothered to read or follow the OSC threads. I entered this time purely on a lark: I had just considered doing a demo of the Obxd and since the OSC was open to any synth, I decided throw it in about a week before the deadline. But I never realized the depth of commitment and the creativity that people put into this!

I also have to say that I can understand why there's controversy on voting methodology. I personally think that defining parameters is the way to go, but people seem quite content with the current approach and that's fine too. My only comment about this is that it's not hard to discern the exceptional from the mundane, but it does become hard to evaluate similarities without some frame of reference.

But I think the point of the OSC is not just competitive: there's a significant amount of camaraderie and sharing going on which is just phenomenal! I have to confess that I didn't participate in this aspect of it because of a lack of time. I'm not a committed soundcloud user and I never even left a single comment on anyone's track. I have to admit that it was nice to see what people thought of my track and I sincerely apologize for not having reciprocated. I see now that this as much a part of the OSC as entering and winning prizes, and it's why I sadly won't be participating again any time soon.

A last point about all this to the organizers: congrats on keeping up this creative festival for so long! It takes an unusual level of commitment to do anything like this on an ongoing basis. I hope you won't give up any time soon and keep looking for better ways to run and foster this community. It's really something! And It's likely I'll be listening in from time to time now that I've dipped my toes in the waters...;)

Congratulations to you Bzur. Just a great amount of quality tracks you delivered.

Also our congratulations to all other contestants! Some outstanding tracks you all delivered!
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

Congratz to the winners, really professional work!

All the other participants: great tracks, don't stop!!!

Thanx for listening to my track and for the kind comments.

Congratz top five :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

Okie dokie... Bzur has spoken, and a nice looking Diva will arrive to him soon :hihi:

Jasinski, what shall you have?

Diva's an awesome choice Bzur!
I'll take FM8 from Native Instruments.

Breeze wrote:I have to admit that it was nice to see what people thought of my track and I sincerely apologize for not having reciprocated. I see now that this as much a part of the OSC as entering and winning prizes, and it's why I sadly won't be participating again any time soon.
Breeze, you shouldn't let that hold you back from entering. Just have fun making some music with the limits of the monthly instrument and participate where you can. Always fun to have more people participate. Plus your track was one of the memorable ones - with that whip sound!

I have to admit that it was nice to see what people thought of my track and I sincerely apologize for not having reciprocated. I see now that this as much a part of the OSC as entering and winning prizes, and it's why I sadly won't be participating again any time soon.
If you're wondering whether the comments are superficial, some of them probably are, but most of them are genuine encouragement, compliment, or greeting. It can be a real bummer for some peeps to get a comment like "wow that snare is crap", so that's probably left for some private message or something.

Your track @1:51 after the buildup was AWESOME... total funk with a perfect lead solo.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the above quote though?

jasinski wrote:
Breeze wrote:I have to admit that it was nice to see what people thought of my track and I sincerely apologize for not having reciprocated. I see now that this as much a part of the OSC as entering and winning prizes, and it's why I sadly won't be participating again any time soon.
Breeze, you shouldn't let that hold you back from entering. Just have fun making some music with the limits of the monthly instrument and participate where you can. Always fun to have more people participate. Plus your track was one of the memorable ones - with that whip sound!
I wholeheartedly agree - it's not about winning prizes or anything, it's about using this restrictive opportunity to improve your sound design, composition, and production skills. I can attest that I have learned most of what I can do with these synths by participating in this awesome contest. If it wasn't for the monthly deadline, I'd have thousands of bits and pieces of tracks, not a one of them completed...

But really, it's all about having fun. If it isn't fun for you to participate, then don't! Personally, the challenge of whipping a song up out of nothing, coming up with sounds and such keeps me from going crazy... and there are many reasons why I would go crazy.

Anyway, as for my prize this month, I'll have the Live 9 Standard Download.

Congrats to you bzur well deserved first place simply by hard working , also to the other guys congrats to you for your inspirational work , a'm enjoying your music , also thanks for the nice comment given to my track and the place you given by voting thank you , thank you , see you around.................

Fabrizio

z.prime wrote: ...it's about using this restrictive opportunity to improve your sound design, composition, and production skills. I can attest that I have learned most of what I can do with these synths by participating in this awesome contest. If it wasn't for the monthly deadline, I'd have thousands of bits and pieces of tracks, not a one of them completed...
Beautifully said... I learned all my drum skills by doing OSC. Also gave me an excuse to try out some new styles and mixing techniques :)

Return to “Instruments”