One-Synth-Challenge 60: Any One Synth - Submissions, Voting & Results

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

chilledpanda wrote:Maybe the 1..5 should have a minimum point entry, say the mean or median of the last ( or last few) osc votes as the bare minimum aggregated point-age divide that by number participants in that/those osc votes, you then have a multiplier that can be applied to the number of participants in each comp, so multiplier x number participants = minimum points needed, I'd be happy with that.
May sound complex but it isn't for the end users. It's a simple as using the jasinski™ mock you can drag n drop to the 1..5 columns and a current total with minimum points needed in this vote is displayed rather than minimum per column, it would be a doddle to use and flexible enough to distribute pointage, but not allow the very low scoring. The simple maths is all done behind the scenes. And you can submit your vote once the minimum is achieved.

Although I still like the category, gives us lesser mortals something to aim for :pray: .
This sounds like a good solution and one I think BJ is currently looking into.

But to be honest I am also beginning to like the voting by criteria thing where you give 1-5 for different categories like composition, sounds, mix etc etc. It might seem like more work than just giving 1-5 on the track, but it might actually be a help when voting.

It seems the best thing is to hear all possible views for a while and come up with different solutions and then vote on those after that.

About track length limit, there was never any talk about setting any although I know there's a 3 minute limit in the Music Cafe section here. In the recent rules vote this point came up and wanted kept free by the majority.

V'ger wrote:
chilledpanda wrote:Maybe the 1..5 should have a minimum point entry, say the mean or median of the last ( or last few) osc votes as the bare minimum aggregated point-age divide that by number participants in that/those osc votes, you then have a multiplier that can be applied to the number of participants in each comp, so multiplier x number participants = minimum points needed, I'd be happy with that.
May sound complex but it isn't for the end users. It's a simple as using the jasinski™ mock you can drag n drop to the 1..5 columns and a current total with minimum points needed in this vote is displayed rather than minimum per column, it would be a doddle to use and flexible enough to distribute pointage, but not allow the very low scoring. The simple maths is all done behind the scenes. And you can submit your vote once the minimum is achieved.

Although I still like the category, gives us lesser mortals something to aim for :pray: .
This sounds like a good solution and one I think BJ is currently looking into.

But to be honest I am also beginning to like the voting by criteria thing where you give 1-5 for different categories like composition, sounds, mix etc etc. It might seem like more work than just giving 1-5 on the track, but it might actually be a help when voting.

It seems the best thing is to hear all possible views for a while and come up with different solutions and then vote on those after that.

About track length limit, there was never any talk about setting any although I know there's a 3 minute limit in the Music Cafe section here. In the recent rules vote this point came up and wanted kept free by the majority.
Okay sounds good.

Yeah, I don't see how criteria categories would be harder to me it's harder to generalise and try to balance different categories under a single score, where it's easier to see the differences in their own light. Maybe it's that everyone has their own different value of importance what each category would bring.

Don't think length as ever been a real problem, you get the occasional 6-7 min, but they are few and far between, think the average is around 3-4 min mark. Mine is less than 3 mins this week cause I ran out of time lol
But then again it's always quality over quantity :tu:

V'ger wrote:. So comparing/ranking 68 now would be the hardest vote ever.. :hihi:
Yes. Really, really hard.

Hard !!! More like tedious , and mainly having to accept a high level of innacuracy in one's end result which is really unmotivating . I have in the past few months voted even when not taking part in the OSC and enjoyed listening to the tracks and appreciating them . I guess that having this pleasurable experience taken away from me and replaced by some boring cabinet filing task is what is making me react.

Voted. Good luck!

For me the best vote method is to give point only to five best song (or ten if more than 50), without assign point to all track (like sdcompo). And voters could be only partecipants at current round! No voting for who don't have made a track for current round!

My head is about to explode and I still haven't found a method to make my Top 68 and feel happy with it.

Here's a mock-up for what voting by category might look like.

Each track has 4 rating categories. Select a rating for each category by clicking on the number desired. This minimizes the number of mouse clicks needed and makes it easy to adjust ratings later.

Track background would change color indicating when voting was complete. I thought it would be nice to have a tally in the top left showing total # of tracks and how many remain to be rated.

The black triangle indicates which track is currently playing.

On the right side of each track module, I added a Soundcloud link. It would open up a new window or tab so voters could leave comments directly on the track's Soundcloud page.

ClaRago wrote:Hard !!! More like tedious , and mainly having to accept a high level of innacuracy in one's end result which is really unmotivating . I have in the past few months voted even when not taking part in the OSC and enjoyed listening to the tracks and appreciating them . I guess that having this pleasurable experience taken away from me and replaced by some boring cabinet filing task is what is making me react.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Sadly to me voting for this OSC felt like torture because I couldn't give the appropriate credit to most of the songs. I'm very sorry to say this but ppl either have carelessly voted before, or they're really not paying attention to what's going on 'cause I simply cannot understand how the current system is considered better than the previous one...

As for implementing points by category...are you serious? Some ppl have no production, or don't use custom presets, creativity is subjective (or not that appreciated around these parts 'cause I've seen plenty of mind blowing songs not ranking in the top 10), etc. How are ppl suppose to split their points into categories when they have a hard time judging a song as whole? This is heading in a very dissapointing direction...
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

I think that with this method one must be unemployed to have time to vote all tracks, the risk is that voting become boring, and instead of use time to make a new track one use time to vote. maybe this method is good but for only 5 track!

Ballacr75, yeah that was my concern as well. Just wanted to see what it looked like.

jasinski wrote:Here's a mock-up for what voting by category might look like.

Each track has 4 rating categories. Select a rating for each category by clicking on the number desired. This minimizes the number of mouse clicks needed and makes it easy to adjust ratings later.

Track background would change color indicating when voting was complete. I thought it would be nice to have a tally in the top left showing total # of tracks and how many remain to be rated.

The black triangle indicates which track is currently playing.

On the right side of each track module, I added a Soundcloud link. It would open up a new window or tab so voters could leave comments directly on the track's Soundcloud page.

The more I look at this the more I think this could actually make voting quite fun, and not mean that much work at all.

After all, when scoring all tracks with a point from 1-5 like was before, you would in reality sum up the parts of the categories in your mind with each track; if it was a good mix, composition etc etc.

Of course people have different criteria when scoring and maybe give more weight to certain categories over others, but we could be able to settle on a system (by vote), or even have people input their weights, so I still say this is worth trying out. Remember people wanted the current system, but some got a different view when actually using it.

Voted! Phew!!! What a job!

I spent over 3 hours on the voting in total, and I have to say that even with my own categories (I actually used a spreadsheet), I ended up with lots of ties and after I gave the first 30 a good sort, I just had to leave the ties below that. I honestly listened to every track, but often skipped over long repetitive sections. I personally think there should be a time limit on the tracks to avoid unnecessary repetitiveness. It's one thing to dance to something but quite another to listen. ;)

I have to admit that the prospect of doing this again is not appealing. There has to be a better way. Maybe it's simply the overwhelming number of entries. Otherwise the only way to do this expeditiously is to make cursory and superficial judgements, and I'm not really into that by nature. :shrug:

I like Jasinski's idea a lot. Especially that it opens into Soundcloud so we can add the comments - that's been awkward this time.

Re: the discussion of breaking down voting into categories -- the level of both creativity and production that is demonstrated on the whole by the OSC entries lead me to believe that most of the participants are savvy enough producers and composers that they can grade pieces on production and creative criteria.

Hey guys, just a reminder, the vote we did earlier was also about adding soundcloud comments directly into the voting mechanism. Using the Soundcloud API you can directly comment from our voting site. Hopefully we can get to that once we figure out the next step in the voting form. Jasinski's idea is great! :tu:

Return to “Instruments”