One-Synth-Challenge 60: Any One Synth - Chat & gossip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This thread is for chat and gossip only, submissions and votes go in the other thread.

One-Synth-Challenge Website

Since the One-Synth-Challenge is a monthly competition, OSC 60 will therefore mark its 5 year anniversary! (well, discounting the 2 specials, one of which was run in parallel)

To celebrate, the competition will be a free for all choice of one synth, freeware or commercial. And thanks to some kind developers there will also be some great prizes to be had!

Hope this will inspire you, and also that the competition will still be here for at least another 5 years.

So thanks to KVR and all who've contributed to the competition so far with prizes, great tracks, technical know-how and helping to make it the friendly and unique place it is. Cheers all! :party:

(special thanks for this competition to Cactoos who sorted the prizes with NI and Ableton, cheers mate)
Last edited by V'ger on Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Awesome, this will be my first entry :-) Now to decide Dune or Nexus. Cheers
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Are there any good commercial vst that have a 30 day try before you buy ??
Bit like spectral :-)

Cheers,
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

But beware that normal rules still apply so no samples even if the synth has a feature to use those. Oscillators only please. (single cycle waveforms are Ok)

I assume ROMs are okay to use, ie nexus or omnisphere?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

As the choice is free, does this challenge still differentiate between 100% realtime synthesis and heavily sample reliant instruments like Nexus, or is it really "anything goes" ?

(Subjectively I'd find a pure synthesis challenge more interesting than choosing an instrument with an impressive sounding stock sample library, but on the other hand a completely no-limits challenge is great in its own way.)

Haha, ninja'd while I wrote that one :D ... So: no samples, with the likes of Nexus et al. Gotcha. This should be clearly mentioned somewhere else, too. (There's no mention of it in the rules, for example.)

Edit: argh, forgot it's a line in the actual OSC announcement post. "No samples other than single cycle waveforms allowed even if the synth has a feature to use those. Oscillators only please." Yep. Still would be nice to say this in the official rules, too :)

for samples some synths have a load wave function, maybe he was refering to that instead of roms?

TTU Youtube

Awesome. Thanks organizers!

sorry if Im being a bit dense but can someone tell me if nexus can be used or not

TTU Youtube

As V'ger said, "oscillators only." So if Nexus can be used in a mode which only uses its realtime oscs (instead of its sample library), it's ok to use in that manner. I'd choose another synth for this type of use, though :)

If thats the case I think Ill go with Dune then, thanks :-)

TTU Youtube

Guenon wrote:Still would be nice to say this in the official rules, too :)
In the rules now :) We too were "Ninja'ed" :hihi: on this point, even though the topic was already up in the OSC 45 Alchemy competition.

mysticvibes wrote:sorry if Im being a bit dense but can someone tell me if nexus can be used or not
Hey,

Basically we only allow generative type synths like analogue / substractive / fm / etc. Check out the past 59+ contests for what kind of stuff you can use.

Have fun! :)

Would anyone know if the kicks inside dune are kick samples or pitch envelope generated?

TTU Youtube

Return to “Instruments”