One-Synth-Challenge 60: Any One Synth - Chat & gossip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Curse this short month! I was really determined to finally get an OSC entry in this time (Chromaphone), but I've been defeated by other commitments. Just needed a couple more days.... Never mind - huge congratulations to all who've entered, I'll be sure to listen and vote. Nice to see such a diverse selection of synths.
Textur for ACE
After Hours for Lounge Lizard EP-4
Prism Sticks for Chromaphone 2

I'm glad I found out about the contest :D
I'm making my music with pure synthesis for a few years now, and I'm trained with that. Can't wait to listen to other entries :) Yay!

V'ger wrote:
bjporter wrote:Download (not sure if this is a legit dl though): http://myvst.com/vst-effects/freeverb3-freeware
Agree Freeverb3 has some of the best free verbs out there that competes well with some commercial ones, but I see the project page is down atm, shame..
I found both x86 and x64 VSTs here.

Well close one this week as I was gonna take a bit of time off for good behaviour ;-) but decided to do something at the last minute, the pull was to great and submitted with 2 mins left on the clock.
Looks like the OSC cm special keeps it's entry records though.
Good luck to everyone.

chilledpanda wrote:Well close one this week as I was gonna take a bit of time off for good behaviour ;-) but decided to do something at the last minute, the pull was to great and submitted with 2 mins left on the clock.
Good luck to everyone.
Nice work :)

Yeah 66 tracks is pretty good :clap:

bjporter wrote:
chilledpanda wrote:Well close one this week as I was gonna take a bit of time off for good behaviour ;-) but decided to do something at the last minute, the pull was to great and submitted with 2 mins left on the clock.
Good luck to everyone.

Definitely, though I was expecting a good 10-20 more giving the prizes.
Still a very good turn out, given it's also a short month. :party:

bjporter wrote:
Good luck to everyone.

I could barely get 12 tracks out of my dinosaur PC. I could have frozen tracks, but ran out of time to add more to it anyway. :shrug:

Maybe there could be a contest with something like only up to X-amount of tracks, to see what can be done with only 6-7 or however many. That would level the playing field a little bit, as not everyone has an i5 or i7-based computer.

Examigan wrote:to see what can be done with only 6-7...
Mine is 9 instances, so too much already :hihi:

My low track count is not about load however (same as you, time got in the way), as Ragnarok uses close to nothing CPU-wise. While it stacks up to 28 oscillators on one voice if you want it (it's a Full Bucket synth, so that should explain something, Björn's coding is up there with the best :D).
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

I, too, was wondering about some of the ridonkulous instance counts reported this month. I haven't figured out how to insert program changes in S1, so maybe some DAWs simply can't do it. In DAWs where both automation and program change are readily available, 5-12 instances should be enough for anyone IMHO (depending largely on how dense your percussion is). I suppose one issue becomes the desire for a unique insert fx chain for each patch, in which case program change simply won't cut it. Automation could though, but then I envision a track full of spaghetti.

Great stuff guys, 67 entries is good for any competition :tu:

Looking at the synth choices, it wasn't the total Zebra fest I was expecting - it was actually quite varied. Also nice to see the occasional freeware synths in use and cool with the unique synths (unreleased or private). 8)

Voting soon to be opened.

Examigan wrote:
bjporter wrote:
Good luck to everyone.

I could barely get 12 tracks out of my dinosaur PC. I could have frozen tracks, but ran out of time to add more to it anyway. :shrug:

Maybe there could be a contest with something like only up to X-amount of tracks, to see what can be done with only 6-7 or however many. That would level the playing field a little bit, as not everyone has an i5 or i7-based computer.
Depends on what you want to do. My first OSC entry which was actually the computer music one (currently most osc participated entries) had nine instances of dominator (and a single delay effect) vst https://soundcloud.com/chilled-panda/ch ... ver-clouds

To be honest the biggest problems for me are this and the cm one, because of having to choose the synth, prefer it to be more defined as everyone is kind of on even ground and has the same restrictions. This is what I like about it the restrictions and coming up with novel solutions, learnt so much doing OSC in the last 5 months, still got a long way to go, but then always a never ending journey.

chilledpanda wrote:My first OSC entry which was actually the computer music one (currently most osc participated entries)

To be honest the biggest problems for me are this and the cm one, because of having to choose the synth, prefer it to be more defined as everyone is kind of on even ground and has the same restrictions. This is what I like about it the restrictions and coming up with novel solutions, learnt so much doing OSC in the last 5 months, still got a long way to go, but then always a never ending journey.
Me too. Learned loads since first entry in cm special, and still lots to learn. Thats why I picked a free synth I'd never heard of before start of this month, and in which I needed to program all the percussive sounds (and others). Made it like a regular OSC for me. Now, if I can just improve on production skills...

Now - just completed first listen through all 67 entries, and theres so many good tracks! and variety :) Going to be tough to judge - Vger, are we going to use the new voting system this time?

Indeed we are! Bjporter has been hard at work and made a proper stacking system even with a built in Soundcloud player, it's quite nice.

Umm...

I just came back from Austria and was shocked :eek:, that zRev and Zebrify are not allowed!??!??!?? Since these Plugins are nothing but parts of Zebra², there shouldn´t be a problem!? I thought, I couldn´t make it any better than using only "Zebra-Stuff"?! I really hope, these plugins do not disqualify my track... :cry:
https://audile.shop - the quality controlled sound shop
http://bjulin.de

RichardSemper wrote:
chilledpanda wrote:My first OSC entry which was actually the computer music one (currently most osc participated entries)

Me too. Learned loads since first entry in cm special, and still lots to learn. Thats why I picked a free synth I'd never heard of before start of this month, and in which I needed to program all the percussive sounds (and others). Made it like a regular OSC for me. Now, if I can just improve on production skills...

Now - just completed first listen through all 67 entries, and theres so many good tracks! and variety :) Going to be tough to judge - Vger, are we going to use the new voting system this time?
yeah, me too. Really need to improve production skill, was going to skip this month as work and importance personal stuff over the next four months means I don't have much time spare, so the plan was to learn and practice when I can :-/

Yeah, not gonna listen yet been up 36 hours (submitted at 7:58am this morning) and my ears ain't up to make a judgement lol. Trying to keep awake till time for sleeep so my sleep pattern should be ok :borg:

Return to “Instruments”