Is omnisphere still king?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just to throw this out there...Spectrasonics does not do sequels per se'. A true Kontakt meets Alchemy-style sampler would be a standalone product. I am sure that Omnisphere owners would have some special integration features however. They have said they have big plans for the STEAM engine. They never said they have big plans for Omnisphere.
mhog wrote:P.S. well... what is reality?... :o
(Bonus points if you can guess from what movie this was taken)

osiris wrote:Some of my favorite Omni patches only use the Oscillators. Judging from some comments, the Virus is a Rompler.
Or Wavetable synth....
:tu:
Doesn't stop me from whipping out some wicked analog goodness on my Virus!

BTW
All you opinionated long-winded philosophers in this string?
TL;DR

Answer the original poster's question.
Then go make some music!

But seriously, if you can't tell the diff between a sampler and a rompler... there are many online courses to help you out with learning the different types of synthesis.
Good luck!

lionscub68 wrote:BTW
TL;DR

Then go make some music!

But seriously, if you can't tell the diff between a sampler and a rompler... there are many online courses to help you out with learning the different types of synthesis.
Good luck!

Answered it long ago.
But I reiterate, No it isn't and it never was.

BBFG# wrote:
lionscub68 wrote:BTW
TL;DR

Then go make some music!

Good luck!

Answered it long ago.
But I reiterate, No it isn't and it never was.
Good ol' BBFG#... The Yin to my Yang here on KVR.
:ud:

BBFG# wrote: Wow, to me, Alchemy is nothing like Kurzweil. Thank goodness! Kurzweil sounds cheesy to me overall. Omni sounds thin (it's suppose to be more transparent that way.
Ominisphere sounds anything but "thin". Alchemy on the other hand does sound thin.

firepile wrote:
BBFG# wrote: Wow, to me, Alchemy is nothing like Kurzweil. Thank goodness! Kurzweil sounds cheesy to me overall. Omni sounds thin (it's suppose to be more transparent that way.
Ominisphere sounds anything but "thin". Alchemy on the other hand does sound thin.
I agree. I have both, after grabbing Alchemy with the December 2013 deal.
But honestly they both play a role in the new stuff I'm dittying lately, and work well together. True that Omnisphere can be so big, that it fills the audio space; almost too big at times. Just have to learn how to use it intelligently, instead of the one-finger soundtrack.

firepile wrote:
Alchemy produces the 'air' that Omni promises but doesn't deliver for me.
When I say 'thin', I'm talking more about a type of 'roundness' in it's body. It's not something to take offense at. It can be a good juxtapositional tool. But I find that that juxtaposition in NI Reaktor more useful and Omni more conflicting to what I'm doing.
IMO: I think Omni would be a decent VA at half the price, but really as it stands, it's overstated and overpriced for what it is, and closed to personal customization.
The Omni sound is dictated by being able to 'Read Only (its) Memory'. Like it or hate it, you're stuck with what it is.
If Alchemy is too thin, why aren't you adding your own samples to make it what you want?

Add sample import and make the price $399.00 MSRP, I would at least consider owning Omni.

The engine determines the sound a lot.........irregardless of the samples..........
From Alchemy came out that was one of my first comments..........it has its uses, dont get me wrong...........but when you said omnisphere was thin and you like the sound of alchemy, different taste apart I was shocked tbh.

Didn't you just have one interaction with Omnisphere, and it was recently on NAMM's floor or did I incorrectly remember?
BBFG# wrote:Was it ever king? I finally got to try it out at the Ilio booth during the show. It's okay, I did like the ease of programming layers, but the sound wasn't there to feel I wasn't getting better from what I already own. The other thing was the rep spent much time with others coming up with unresolved problems to which he directed responsibility to anything but the software itself.
Something else I noticed OT - quite a few people were coming up because of the controller he was using, not the sound of the software. And once they found out they didn't make the controller, they left just as quick.
Really find some place where you can try it yourself before you buy it. You may like it, love it, or hate it. Demo-ing it myself was enough to get any latent desire to buy it out of my system though.
btw isn't there contradiction between:
I think Omni would be a decent VA at half the price
and
The Omni sound is dictated by being able to 'Read Only (its) Memory'. Like it or hate it, you're stuck with what it is.
The point being that just like any algorithmic software synth you are stuck with what it is........so is it you like the VA (that is algorithmic) side of Omnisphere?

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:The engine determines the sound a lot.........irregardless of the samples..........
From Alchemy came out that was one of my first comments..........it has its uses, dont get me wrong...........but when you said omnisphere was thin and you like the sound of alchemy, different taste apart I was shocked tbh.

Didn't you just have one interaction with Omnisphere on NAMM's floor or did I incorrectly remember?

rsp
Yes, I spent just over an hour digging into Omnisphere, and walked away feeling it had some nice features but not really that special. It does come down to taste and need for particular uses, but if I can't find a sound the grabs me and doesn't let go, then its just a tool, not an instrument for me. That is always a personal thing for each of us IMO. As a tool, it's just overpriced and too specialized for what it is. I Have some of those already, picked them up during no-brainer sales and to date, their use is limited. Alchemy is often the jesso on the canvas for me. Even if you can't quite hear or identify it, it's there because it pulls me into the whole picture. Omni doesn't do that for me.
(Plus, there's that whole sense of nuero-wipe I too often meet in the Omniheads that I find somewhat disconcerting.)
Last edited by BBFG# on Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AAS;Camel Audio;Korg;Modartt;Native Instruments;Roland;Sonar;Steinberg;U-he;Yamaha

not sure what is neuro-wipe.
rsp
sound sculptist

BBFG# wrote:Yes, I spent just over an hour digging into Omnisphere, and walked away feeling it had some nice features but not really that special
Surely 1 hour is too little to be able to form an opion about any plugin.

in a noise filled arena no less.

but if he prefers alchemy and doesn't like omnisphere, nothing wrong with that....everyone has their own tastes.

rsp
sound sculptist

(Plus, there's that whole sense of nuero-wipe I too often meet in the Omniheads that I find somewhat disconcerting.)[/quote]

The thing with us "neuro-wiped Omniheads" is that we actually own it.

What is implied is that we really hate it but that we are so embarrassed to have bought it that we endlessly rave about it and even if we do rave about it our hearing is substandard and our taste less-than-discerning. Furthermore, there is the assumption that it is the only synth "we" use.

Numanoid wrote:
BBFG# wrote:Yes, I spent just over an hour digging into Omnisphere, and walked away feeling it had some nice features but not really that special
Surely 1 hour is too little to be able to form an opion about any plugin.

Not really, but then again I've been doing it for a few decades, for myself and the companies I worked for in deciding sales potential and to what niche market. The process takes far less time than when I started now.
And I used headphones the entire time of testing it.
I will say however, that I seem to scare the rep when I got to the granular page and didn't get to it because of that, so I'm still open to it, but the granular 'examples' already there didn't grab me and I'm almost an easy close on granular. It's still just not worth the current asking price.
AAS;Camel Audio;Korg;Modartt;Native Instruments;Roland;Sonar;Steinberg;U-he;Yamaha

Return to “Instruments”