Is omnisphere still king?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How long does it take to install Omnisphere?

pdxindy wrote:
A.M. Gold wrote:You're missing the point, but you're not in the minority in expecting Omnisphere to be "a ROMpler".
Take away the 50 GB Library... so no samples at all (nor any sample import)... and I really doubt that Omnisphere would be a big seller at half price - $250.
I agree. But not many synths are 250. Take away the sample content and I would put it around the 150-200 mark.
pdxindy wrote: Much of what people are buying is the sample library. Which makes it a Rompler. Some hardware Romplers also have sophisticated synthesis engines as well.
Indeed much of the cost is the sample library. When you compare Ominsphere's sample library to what you g et in many Kontakt packages or other sample packages, the remaining cost (let's say $300 or so) for that library is quite cheap comparatively.

But this whole "what people are paying for" or whether it's a rompler is beside the point. Neither the fact that it is a rompler nor the fact that much of the cost is based on the sample library, make it any less of a synthesizer, or anything close to a showstopper. However perhaps you meant in terms of cost it's a no-go for you if you can't load samples, which I can understand as a personal choice based on price. I had originally interpreted your statement as meaning the lack of smaple loading makes it an unworthy synth somehow.

Well, it depends. King of what? If I were doing dance music, techno or something like that, it probably wouldn't be my first choice. There are plenty of VA clones...same old, same old. For media scoring (film/TV/games), nothing comes even close in terms of usability, sound quality and versatility. Only Zebra, maybe, which doesn't use samples.

Alchemy is great, but its sample library and presets doesn't come close to Omnisphere's. It has great potential, though, and I'm really looking forward to Alchemy 2.

Why has Rompler become a bad word?

Somebody has in fact listed Omnisphere in the Wikipedia page: "Popular examples of software romplers are reFX Nexus and Spectrasonics Omnisphere. In this context, a software instrument can only be considered a rompler if it restricts the user to certain bundled sounds, without allowing them to load their own samples"

Numanoid wrote:Why has Rompler become a bad word?

Somebody has in fact listed Omnisphere in the Wikipedia page: "Popular examples of software romplers are reFX Nexus and Spectrasonics Omnisphere. In this context, a software instrument can only be considered a rompler if it restricts the user to certain bundled sounds, without allowing them to load their own samples"
Glad to hear somebody finally ask this. :) I have also wondered.

Just for my two cents: Omnisphere's VA engine is really really really goood as well. Probably not worth $250, But when you throw in the capabilities of the engine, effect racks, multis, filters, etc. your getting close. But the Sample content on top of all that, for me, makes Omnisphere the only software Ive ever bought that makes me smile every time I get into playing with it.
Who is "I"? What is "I"? This has yet to be explained.

Omnisphere is the typical ROMpler, because inspired by the Roland D-50 (which was the first ROMpler in history, I guess). ROMpler means (well, meant?...): take a very small PCM sample (some microseconds) contained in a ROM/EPROM and generate a sound thanks to it (the "attack"). The rest is done in subtractive synthesis. Omnisphere and D50 are very similar: both have patches made of two mixable "tones" (VA and/or ROM PCM). I confirm that, I bought my D50 in 1987! Besides, I read somewhere that Persing was involved in the original D50 patches... The difference: D50 ROM was about 64 kb, not 50 GB :)

@BBFG#...... thin? if it is one thing that Omnisphere isn't is thin... some ppl says it overpowers tracks.......quite the opposite.

I was being tongue in cheek, hence help in quotations when I saw that omnisphere was listed right alongside nexus as software examples as romplers.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:I would find it hard to believe that (even though I don't' need it) all this 'quiet' time Spectrasonics is not indeed working to make Omnisphere be able to import one's own samples.......

but I am sure there will be other things to complain about even if they do that.
rsp

Ah, thats the dream...

If only Omnisphere could import audio files.....

Then it WOULD be King, or Queen or One Eyed Jack, or Six of Spades or some other moniker of synthy affection.

In this vid that was put up just before x-mas Persing talks about his past work with Roland, and that something is a-cookin' at Spectrasonics, unfortunately no specific details though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... apQ#t=3668

PatchAdamz wrote:
zvenx wrote:I would find it hard to believe that (even though I don't' need it) all this 'quiet' time Spectrasonics is not indeed working to make Omnisphere be able to import one's own samples.......

but I am sure there will be other things to complain about even if they do that.
rsp

Ah, thats the dream...

If only Omnisphere could import audio files.....

Then it WOULD be King, or Queen or One Eyed Jack, or Six of Spades or some other moniker of synthy affection.

Naw, it would just be another thin, bloated sampler :-)

I am being sarcastic btw...I do still think it is King, but not for the type of sounds the OP was looking for.
But maybe that's cause I do film/tv/ads etc........For me the best sounding synths I own are Diva, Omnisphere/Zebra......and I own quite a lot of gear.
Off the three by far the most versatile sounding for my use is Omnisphere.......
and because I was a Roland Hardware diehard in the pre-software days..... omnisphere appeals to me big time.... it would be my island synth....

but I am an admitted fanboy.

Still can't get over the thin comment....

rsp
sound sculptist

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
A.M. Gold wrote:You're missing the point, but you're not in the minority in expecting Omnisphere to be "a ROMpler".
Take away the 50 GB Library... so no samples at all (nor any sample import)... and I really doubt that Omnisphere would be a big seller at half price - $250.
I agree. But not many synths are 250. Take away the sample content and I would put it around the 150-200 mark.
pdxindy wrote: Much of what people are buying is the sample library. Which makes it a Rompler. Some hardware Romplers also have sophisticated synthesis engines as well.
Indeed much of the cost is the sample library. When you compare Ominsphere's sample library to what you g et in many Kontakt packages or other sample packages, the remaining cost (let's say $300 or so) for that library is quite cheap comparatively.

But this whole "what people are paying for" or whether it's a rompler is beside the point. Neither the fact that it is a rompler nor the fact that much of the cost is based on the sample library, make it any less of a synthesizer, or anything close to a showstopper. However perhaps you meant in terms of cost it's a no-go for you if you can't load samples, which I can understand as a personal choice based on price. I had originally interpreted your statement as meaning the lack of smaple loading makes it an unworthy synth somehow.
Yeah... I meant it was a showstopper for me. (I consider it a given that I am speaking for myself and doesn't need to be qualified every time). $500 is a lot of cash... For example, once up in that price range, Bitwig is much more interesting to me as an instrument than Omnisphere.

If Spectrasonics catered to my interests, they would be out of business quickly enough... :lol:

pdxindy wrote:If Spectrasonics catered to my interests, they would be out of business quickly enough... :lol:

lol..
phew thank goodness they don't
lol
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:@BBFG#...... thin? if it is one thing that Omnisphere isn't is thin... some ppl says it overpowers tracks.......quite the opposite.

I was being tongue in cheek, hence help in quotations when I saw that omnisphere was listed right alongside nexus as software examples as romplers.

rsp
It overpowers by overlayering. It has its sounds, and they can work well for what they do, but to have to build it up by layering comes out as defeating the purpose for me. When layering, I'd much rather use different synths with different tonal characteristics. Layering something on top of itself can end up sounding, boring.
I also don't think Nexus even belongs in the comparison.
If Omnis added sample import, they wouldn't have to cater to anyone's interest because then it would be up to each to meet their own needs or not.
As it is they do cater to interests, but then add the fact you have to cajole for it like an infant wanting sweets.
AAS;Camel Audio;Korg;Modartt;Native Instruments;Roland;Sonar;Steinberg;U-he;Yamaha

pdxindy wrote:If Spectrasonics catered to my interests, they would be out of business quickly enough... :lol:
...as well as breaking the law in 36 states! :o

(sorry, couldn't resist)

mhog wrote:Omnisphere is the typical ROMpler, because inspired by the Roland D-50 (which was the first ROMpler in history, I guess). ROMpler means (well, meant?...): take a very small PCM sample (some microseconds) contained in a ROM/EPROM and generate a sound thanks to it (the "attack"). The rest is done in subtractive synthesis. Omnisphere and D50 are very similar: both have patches made of two mixable "tones" (VA and/or ROM PCM). I confirm that, I bought my D50 in 1987! Besides, I read somewhere that Persing was involved in the original D50 patches... The difference: D50 ROM was about 64 kb, not 50 GB :)
Yeah, and with that logic DX7 is an FMpler, and Waldorf PPG is a wavepler and Kawai K5000 is Sinepler... I rather call them all synthesizers.
"when you have nothing to say - shut up." -A friend of Luc Besson

Return to “Instruments”