Is omnisphere still king?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zvenx wrote:not sure what is neuro-wipe.
rsp
It's these people

:hihi:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

gremlinmoon wrote: The thing with us "neuro-wiped Omniheads" is that we actually own it.
What is implied is that we really hate it but that we are so embarrassed to have bought it that we endlessly rave about it and even if we do rave about it our hearing is substandard and our taste less-than-discerning. Furthermore, there is the assumption that it is the only synth "we" use.
I don't think those that own it hate it. It's more in keeping with Popper's philosophy of a necessary stage of imunization defeating the next necessary stage of methodology. Thereby creating a protection of it at all costs, leading only to cutting off those pathways which puts it in its rightful place. But it does seem the price/features is maintained more to protect its base than in keeping with the reality of market competition. And to be embarassed about that is not really necessary.

Ultimately, all these threads come down to an emotional decision where the need to protect those emotions run the course and not the actuality of the product. And it is as true with me as anyone else, however, I do try to stay aware of it and not let it make the decision all by itself. Neither do I let something that produces no emotion do it all. Omni seems like a good tool that I don't currently have a need for is all. Especially being overpriced for what it currently is.
Last edited by BBFG# on Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AAS;Camel Audio;Korg;Modartt;Native Instruments;Roland;Sonar;Steinberg;U-he;Yamaha

Is omnisphere still king?
Never was! How could someone think that an instrument with 50GB samples can be considered as a miracle? Look at Roland, Yamaha, Korg Synths - how much memory they use.
Or in the software world I could say anything, but Look at KorgM1 from legacy collection. How many Megabytes? IMHO you can get KILLER sounds from softwares of the size of some megabytes.

dune_rave wrote:Look at KorgM1 from legacy collection. How many Megabytes? IMHO you can get KILLER sounds from softwares of the size of some megabytes.
I wouldn't call the M1 legacy sounds KILLER, they are OK :wink:

BBFG# wrote:...Omni seems like a good tool that I don't currently have a need for is all. Especially being overpriced for what it currently is.
BBFG#: Then I suggest you continue not buying it, since it's not hitting your personal value point. However don't tell others your opinion about how thin it sounds and other products are better in the manner that you are doing; you make it personal. Or rather, I get that's your opinion for you, and your way of "musicing," but seriously, it's all how you tend to word your responses. Your words are inflammatory in general.

It's one thing to state an opinion about a product, praise or shaming it. It's another thing to inform folks who own and appreciate said products have issues on many levels, or are somehow inadequate as musicians since they are using sh*tty tools (in your opinion); or inadequate as human beings people, merely a bunch of lemmings, since we're all brainwashed... all because we have a different ear than your obviously superior ear.

Getting back to the topic at hand? From what damoog initially asked? If you have the initial $499 (or whatever the price may be for you) to invest in this product, I suggest "Yes" and buy it. You can always transfer your license and recoup some of the money. Yes, there is a relicensing fee as I understand it, but thems da breaks. $499 is cheap when you compare that cost vs what you get from Omni ...VS... a $1200 Motif.

On the flip side? I bought iZotope IRIS as I heard a lot of people loved it. It didn't do much for me, but that's just me; others are still loving it, that doesn't affect me in any way. I'll just put it up for resale soon.

Numanoid wrote:
dune_rave wrote:Look at KorgM1 from legacy collection. How many Megabytes? IMHO you can get KILLER sounds from softwares of the size of some megabytes.
I wouldn't call the M1 legacy sounds KILLER, they are OK :wink:
Worth the "Universe" patch all in itself. :)
As are most other M1 patches, like this page shares:
http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds.htm

lionscub68 wrote:
BBFG# wrote:...Omni seems like a good tool that I don't currently have a need for is all. Especially being overpriced for what it currently is.
BBFG#: Then I suggest you continue not buying it, since it's not hitting your personal value point. However don't tell others your opinion about how thin it sounds and other products are better in the manner that you are doing; you make it personal. Or rather, I get that's your opinion for you, and your way of "musicing," but seriously, it's all how you tend to word your responses. Your words are inflammatory in general.

It's one thing to state an opinion about a product, praise or shaming it. It's another thing to inform folks who own and appreciate said products have issues on many levels, or are somehow inadequate as musicians since they are using sh*tty tools (in your opinion); or inadequate as human beings people, merely a bunch of lemmings, since we're all brainwashed... all because we have a different ear than your obviously superior ear.
On the flip side? I bought iZotope IRIS as I heard a lot of people loved it. It didn't do much for me, but that's just me; others are still loving it, that doesn't affect me in any way. I'll just put it up for resale soon.
Just because you take it personal doesn't mean I'm making it personal. I neither praise or shame it for what it is. Stating my current findings and feelings, however others agree or disagree, is no reason for me to be quiet for someone else's comfort. And I keep an open mind on it, which means I continue to check it out when it's available to do so. Nothing yet sways me to decide for it, but that could change.

OffT: I too, kept from Iris because of people saying they were not getting it. Bought it during a double discount sale after listening to some Patchpool libraries. Price, function and even a little emotion closed me on it. However, I don't find it nearly as abstract as many find it, and an extremely useful synth and tool. Quite easy to understand so far. I could even use it as an additional tool for omnisph if they ever caught up to the others in sample importing. And Omnisph MAP is 479.00, but as I mentioned to the Ilio rep, I've seen it from time to time at $429.00
I wouldn't buy it used though since it becomes yours for life, whether you love it not.

And the original topic is whether it is still 'king'.
And still the answer is no and it never was.
Neither is any other VST.
AAS;Camel Audio;Korg;Modartt;Native Instruments;Roland;Sonar;Steinberg;U-he;Yamaha

cryophonik wrote:
rsp
It's these people

I can read "Jordan Rudess". Wow! :o :roll:

:)

you can't compare this to a Motif. Not even close...

mhog wrote:
cryophonik wrote:
rsp
It's these people

I can read "Jordan Rudess". Wow! :o :roll:

:)
Hey, if Jordan Rudess is endorsing it, then you know it's.....errrr......for sale?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

lionscub68 wrote:Getting back to the topic at hand? From what damoog initially asked? If you have the initial $499 (or whatever the price may be for you) to invest in this product, I suggest "Yes" and buy it. You can always transfer your license and recoup some of the money. Yes, there is a relicensing fee as I understand it, but thems da breaks. $499 is cheap when you compare that cost vs what you get from Omni ...VS... a $1200 Motif.
Well, damoog asked for "bread-and-butter", right? I think Omnisphere cannot do that. It is not because it has 8000+ presets you can find everything. Infact, 90% of them are pads, leads, atmosphere, sci-fi (ala Absynth) and such. This is its aim. You can find some (pseudo)ethnic very nice sounds (ouds, sitars, flutes etc.), and acoustic/electric guitars, but they have a typical "cinematic" character. Not good for everyday use (so to speak). Sampletank is much better, in this perspective.

So, no: if you have 500$ and want a module to play high quality guitars, strings, piano, drums, etc. wait for Sampletank3 or go Halionsonic, Kontakt, Machfive, Halion etc. "Omnisphere" stands for "every atmosphere you want" (pads, leads, drones etc.). Infact it comes from the original Atmosphere vst.
Last edited by mhog on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBFG# wrote: (Plus, there's that whole sense of nuero-wipe I too often meet in the Omniheads that I find somewhat disconcerting.)

OffT: I too, kept from Iris because of people saying they were not getting it. Bought it during a double discount sale after listening to some Patchpool libraries. Price, function and even a little emotion closed me on it. However, I don't find it nearly as abstract as many find it, and an extremely useful synth and tool...
There's that whole sense of nuero-wipe in the Iris-heads that I find somewhat disconcerting.

Regarding the perception of lack of bread-and-butter patches in Omnisphere, I think I'll make a patch library aptly named "Bread And Butter." Nothing but 128 Plain-Jane Omnisphere version of general MIDI sounds... and sell it for $20 a pop.

Just search the patch library (e.g. oboe, flute) OR the sample source library (which so many folks forget to look around in), and you'll find tons of Plain-jane, ordinary, average, simple sounds. Just turn off the arp, granular processing, effects rack, and all the other bells and whistles. It's all there. It's not touted at it's strength because the factory presets generally are intended to be full beds of sound. But all the foundation sounds are in there!
Last edited by lionscub68 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lionscub68 wrote:Worth the "Universe" patch all in itself. :)
As are most other M1 patches, like this page shares:
http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds.htm
No, sorry I can't go for that, I think it is that kind of thing that has given Romplers a bad name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCWVo0rDkAg

rsp
anytime you do not agree with his train of thought... he always goes with the subliminal messages for some reason... :hihi:

when he goes that route you pretty much have won!!!

i.e. no more "facts" left...

Return to “Instruments”