Synths with snappy attacks (like ES2)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all,

Since leaving Logic I've always missed the character of the ES2, especially that snappy attack which had a hard time finding in other synths. I think DiscoDSP Corona is the only other synth I've heard that can do that crazy snap at the start of a sound. To a lesser extent sylenth1 is pretty snappy.

Just wondering if there are any out there that I'm missing. I'm familiar and own plenty of the usual suspects (NI, u-he, camel etc.) but still find this behavior rare. I will try to post some examples later for those who don't know what I'm talking about.

Spire, Largo.

Is it me or Spire has an awful decay envelope? It just sounds so unnatural with comparison to Thor (the best one in my opinion) or Zebra/Sylenth1, making good sounding, snappy bass with short decay is so hard to achieve...
Last edited by ssl4000 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Igro wrote:Spire, Largo.
Largo? I remember trying it a couple years back and didn't find it particularly snappy. Been a while though (when the heck is it going to be 64 bit?)

As for spire, tried it recently and it is fairly snappy but not to the extent of ES2 or Corona.

Keep in mind I'm not sure talking about when you have really short sounds with a fast decay. I mean for even sustained sounds, ES2 and Corona seem to be able to have this real snap in the attack.

you have mine?
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

If it's what I'm thinking of...I'd say Largo and Synthmaster.

-Sam

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Igro wrote:Spire, Largo.
Largo? I remember trying it a couple years back and didn't find it particularly snappy. Been a while though (when the heck is it going to be 64 bit?)

As for spire, tried it recently and it is fairly snappy but not to the extent of ES2 or Corona.

Keep in mind I'm not sure talking about when you have really short sounds with a fast decay. I mean for even sustained sounds, ES2 and Corona seem to be able to have this real snap in the attack.
Try Harmor. But this synth is not VA, so don't take your breath.

In case you still use 32-bit stuff, there are various SynthEdit plugins that use more advanced envelopes where you can set the time factor and/or the type of curve (Phonec and Blarg for instance). But it can take some time to figure out the snappiest configurations, especially if you want to avoid clicks.

Waves Element has a dedicated punch button for making the envelope snappier.

Attack

I feel the Korg MS20 has the best snap, out of any other synth on the market.

I was just wondering why so many synths have long A, D, and R times. I remember when I first used my current default synth and thought that compared to other synths I had known those three phases were rather short. Each phase is 10 secs max.
But I realized that even those 10 secs are ridiculously long in musical terms.
I think 5 secs for each phase would be more than enough, even for slow pads. At the same time that would allow for the slider/knob to have a better resolution where it usually really matters, especially the first second or so of the attack and decay phase, which alone should account for the first 50% of the slider/knob scale.

On my default synth the envelope control scales go from 0 to 14, and the difference between the 13th and the 14th lines represents the difference between 5 secs and 10 secs. That makes sense in my view.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:I will try to post some examples later for those who don't know what I'm talking about.
I'd like to hear an example, because I think different people mean different things when they say snappy.

The Juno comes to mind, but that's not a VST, is it?
I loved synthedit because you could trick the parameters on the Attack by simply putting a -1 in the value range, which was only supposed to be from 1 to 10. I used that little trick a couple of times.
I don't know if you can do that in coding..

You mean you did that as a developer or user of SE synths?
There are very few synths where one can enter values. At the top of my head I can only think of one, Adventus. Element would be an example of a non-SE synth with that possibility.

There are several SE synths, though, where one can control the snappiness, Tarkus for instance, where one can not only set the time scales and curve modes, but there is also an option in the menus which allows fine control for the first ms in order to prevent clicking despite very short attack times.

Return to “Instruments”