SampleTank 3 - Informational Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since the two threads got locked, I’ve tried to create the most informative and least inflammatory post possible about SampleTank 3, and I will share information as clearly as possible. The rest is up to you, my participation will be with information that I have and can share as clearly as I am able to communicate it.

SampleTank 3 - The hopefully civil and unlocked informational thread

It is true that 2013 came and went and there was no SampleTank 3. For those unaware, there were some issues and we were not able to release it when we expected to. SampleTank 3 was shown at Winter NAMM 2013 in Anaheim, California from which there are multiple videos (and there was also a mistaken product post from a dealer at that time that has since been removed).

Here is a the information we’ve presented so far, I will add anything I may have missed later in the thread if necessary:

SampleTank 3 will be 64-bit only, and you will be able to use previous Powered By SampleTank libraries (Miroslav Philharmonik, SampleMoog, SampleTron, Sonik Synth, Xpansion Tanks, etc) inside SampleTank 3 and it will be definitely possible to import SampleTank 2 combis in SampleTank 3.

Why was it decided that SampleTank 3 will be 64-bit and why was SampleTank 2.5 not updated to provide 64-bit compatibility? See this post on our Official IK Forum: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/forum/viewt ... =12&t=6909

The included library will be over 30GB in size and will include over 3,000 instruments in 20 categories

There are three main sections to the GUI: Play, Mix, and Edit and the new interface is less cluttered with much larger typeface. The Play page has detailed 3D renders of the instruments but can also show a list of the instruments in each slot, volume, pan, MIDI channels, output levels, etc instead.

There will be articulations, round robin, key switching, and velocity switching to bring more realism and control to the SampleTank experience.

The sound quality of the included library is poised to rival that of dedicated libraries while also providing many more of certain types of sounds than the stock library of other products.

SampleTank 3 will include over 50 effects, many of those will be new effects too. There are also effects from flagship products like T-RackS and AmpliTube too. Each of the 16 instrument instrument parts will have 5 insert effects slots. There are 4 stereo FX returns and a Master Channel each with 5 effect slots, too.

There will be 14 types of filters, including analog-modeled filters included.

SampleTank 3 will cost 60% of what SampleTank did when released in 2003 and there will be upgrade pricing, including an extra discount for early adopters of SampleTank 2.

I will add photo and video assets to the thread as time goes, too, this is a good chunk of information to start, though. Thank you for reading.

quote: "SampleTank 3 will cost 60% of what SampleTank did when released in 2003 and there will be upgrade pricing, including an extra discount for early adopters of SampleTank 2."

What are the actual upgrade prices?
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

I will share information as I have it and when I am authorized to disclose it. That is why that information is not included in the original post. I want to make sure everything is above board here and clear without misunderstanding as much as that is possible. Thank you.

The first video we release was this one, if you haven't seen it (and it supports the information in the first post):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7uwcHPVyJU

Thank you Peter.
Absolutely can not wait to use it.Looks really good to me.
Patiently waiting......
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Sensible question, Why dont IK have a company subforum here?

Why doesn't IK Multimedia have an own sub forum like all other companies?

:?: :?: :?:

Because they have their own forum?

What happened to most of the posts made in the last few days in the other thread? Were they so incendiary that we, as adults, aren't grown up enough to read them? WTF?
Why not just shut down the forum on KVR, since we aren't apparently allowed to even see what we aren't supposed to say? This is crazy.

basslinemaster wrote:What happened to most of the posts made in the last few days in the other thread? Were they so incendiary that we, as adults, aren't grown up enough to read them?
It was boling over, so a temp lock could maybe have cooled it down a bit, too bad it was perma-banned :(

In other news, Jordan Rudess did a video (that yes I know some have already seen) using SampleTank 3 which is best submitted without further comment in order to stick to the vibe of the original topic/first post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeYaHx-lkHE

Is it possible to load 3rd party libraries from indie developers or only official releases?
Give me samples. More samples!

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: The sound quality of the included library is poised to rival that of dedicated libraries while also providing many more of certain types of sounds than the stock library of other products.
Ok, I think that's the bit that was missing before. Given the lack of innovative sampling, the value proposition was hard to understand before reading that statement. The Miroslav and Sampletank stock sounds of the past had extremely high quality of sounds that was stunted significantly by lack of the more modern sampling features (keyswitching in particular, for Miroslav). Still, Sampletank managed to worm its way even onto even recent hit records (Lana del Rey's Videogames comes to mind).

It's not unreasonable to assume that with the platform shortcomings resolved, IK can deliver more full-featured material of competitive quality. In the previous thread, we've been comparing SampleTank with Kontakt, but perhaps a better comparison would be EWQL's Play engine.

As for pricing, looks like the original price, at least in the UK, was 399 pounds (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb04/a ... letank.htm), 60% of which is 240 pounds. This does not seem unreasonable compared to other ROMplers of today.

The big question now is how upgraders are treated.

Personally, I'm probably not going to be in the market for ST3. I've been interested in seeing what is new and thinking I might be interested. And I hadn't followed all the previous threads since I haven't been around in a while. So this thread helped me get an overview instead of having to find the locked threads and read through them.

In the end, it seems that ST3 isn't going to offer me much that I would be interested in. I think it looks great for what it is, but these days, I don't have many needs, nor do I really do much composing any more. So I hope IK have great success with it, and I think it will be perfect for a lot of people. It's obvious that a lot of work and time has been put into it.

Cheers.

Brent
My host is better than your host

After spending the week in formating a new drive, doing a fresh install of Win8x64 & Sonar according to IK's standards and installing Amplitube3 & T Rack-S by their directions and finding out they still crash before opening either as a stand-alone or VST, I've concluded that anything 64bit from them would be a waste of time and money for me at this point.

Return to “Instruments”