Steinberg Retrologue - Worth getting?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Because I've tried the demo ages ago, the elicencer will not let me install so that I can purchase and authorize... seems really screwed up to me. :o
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

I couldn't find a way to buy Retrologue with a discount. I don't think it is part of the Sale.

IMO for $50, the original price, it has already a discounted price! So, I'm thinking to buy it but I want to see if there is much difference in character and sound from Strobe and Cypher, which already made me stop hunting Arturia synths!

I still have one month for the demo to expire. I will see how it fits between the VA synths I already have. I sold Monark because I thought I need either Monark or DCAM synths for analog feel.

$50 is the regular price not the sale price ? Well hell then it's worth every penny........ :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Numanoid wrote:
PatchAdamz wrote:
Integratron wrote:So when I go to order, I don't see any place to add " VALENTINESDAY14" for the promo pricing????????????????? :o
Add it to cart from the specials (valentines day) page
I've been looking for Retrologue on that page for two days, where have you spotted it?:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/landing_pag ... Valentines

:?:
My bad, I was just responding to how to add the discount code.
True, Retrologue is not part of the special.

It is still a great price, sorry for the confusion. :)

EnGee wrote:IMO for $50, the original price, it has already a discounted price! So, I'm thinking to buy it but I want to see if there is much difference in character and sound from Strobe and Cypher
$50 is a really nice price.

I've been demoing Retrologue lately, but feel that I already got that sound covered with SS and other synths like Element.

It would be nice to have it no doubt, but if I need it is another matter...

Numanoid wrote:
EnGee wrote:IMO for $50, the original price, it has already a discounted price! So, I'm thinking to buy it but I want to see if there is much difference in character and sound from Strobe and Cypher
$50 is a really nice price.

I've been demoing Retrologue lately, but feel that I already got that sound covered with SS and other synths like Element.

It would be nice to have it no doubt, but if I need it is another matter...
Do you mean Synth Squad with SS?

Today I listened to all the presets. Really wonderful. I compared it with Strobe and Polysix (I have a bass by merging the two of them). Retrologue is different. It is like a nice Rolandish/CS80 something. it can do strong pads, in fact it can do everything from Bass to Lead to Pads to noise effects/drums! It has a strong presence that can stand out easily in the mix (I need such synth).
I will compare it to MS-20 (soft) and see. I think they might have things in common, but still mostly I will buy it soon. The GUI is so nice and comfortable to the eyes and the cpu usage is not high (less than Monark/Strobe, but little bit more than Korg synths) :-)

Muziksculp wrote:Retrologue is one of the most underrated VST synths.

It is one of my favorite VST synths.

I highly recommend it, especially at the special low price :tu:

Cheers,
Muziksculp
I have to agree, for the price range, $50, it very sophisticated in what it is capable of.

Here is a video that demonstrates some ambient and atmospheres for Retrologue.

VIDEO:
http://youtu.be/4sQbBIn8d5E

EnGee wrote:I couldn't find a way to buy Retrologue with a discount. I don't think it is part of the Sale.

IMO for $50, the original price, it has already a discounted price! So, I'm thinking to buy it but I want to see if there is much difference in character and sound from Strobe and Cypher, which already made me stop hunting Arturia synths!

I still have one month for the demo to expire. I will see how it fits between the VA synths I already have. I sold Monark because I thought I need either Monark or DCAM synths for analog feel.

// My thoughts on Retrologue //

Take all with a grain of salt as I have NOT used Retrologue in person yet.

From what I've heard in the audio demos, Retrologue sounds pretty good for a bread & butter synth and is great for people who don't have something like DCAM:SS. I'm not sure how the CPU usage is in comparison to the DCAM lineup so I can't comment on performance. The Retrologue sound demos sound like they offer quite a bit of believable analog vibe especially for the price point, but I can't really comment on how it works in an actual music project because I've never used it. However I'll compare Strobe and Retrologue with some of their highlighted features.

DCAM Strobe
1 Super-oscillator with osc-stacking (5 Voice Stack)
Sub-oscs up to 3 octaves below the main osc
Filter with rich drive and 22 filter modes
Built-in arpeggiator
Advanced TransMod modulation system
Easy to program, begs to be played!

Steinberg Retrologue
Two oscillators with up to eight detunable voices each plus a sub and noise
12 different filter types
LFO and ADSR for filters and amp envelopes
10 stage Modulation Matrix with Note Expression support
Mono and poly modes with legato and glide
FX section with modulation and delay

So the Oscillator in Retrologue might be able to do "Phatter" sounds considering it has a bigger voice stack for detune. Not sure how the filters compare to DCAM but you get more in DCAM and AFAIK the filters are analog modelled in DCAM along with the Oscillators. You can use FUSOR and have up to 3 strobes all working together for the lack of oscillators per instance.

However I do know DCAM:SS as I have used it for a few years now and although i am no expert in sound design i do know that Synthsquad offers a TON more when it boils down to what you get for your money. The only real main difference is that Retrologue looks pretty easy to use and sounds pretty good judging from the audio demos, so why not? For $50 the only gripe i might have is the E-licencer crap.

In the end I think Synthsquad offers a more believable analog package in terms of what you get for your money but might not be as easy to use as Retrologue. The Retrologue preset audio demos sound good but do they sound as good as what you can get out of synthsquad?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHl0oaeAQ0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K37ou-T7rAc

Personally I am planning on getting Diva again, because I think it compliments synthsquad the best IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByUZ_utcG2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8c77wSYHpw
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:

From what I've heard in the audio demos, Retrologue sounds pretty good for a bread & butter synth and is great for people who don't have something like DCAM:SS. I'm not sure how the CPU usage is in comparison to the DCAM lineup so I can't comment on performance. The Retrologue sound demos sound like they offer quite a bit of believable analog vibe especially for the price point, but I can't really comment on how it works in an actual music project because I've never used it. However I'll compare Strobe and Retrologue with some of their highlighted features.
I spent more time with Retrologue and compared the sound with Strobe, Cypher, Polysix, MS-20, Mono/Poly and kHs One.
Well, it sounds different. For me it is like the analog of 80's against the analog of 70's (DCAM synths). Both are required!
Korg synths have their own character, while I couldn't have a final opinion about kHs One except it is milder than Retrologue.
I'm noticing that I'm using the VA synths that easy to program much more than the complicated ones. So, I'm definitely going to buy Retrologue. It has a very low cpu usage compared to its sound. It will finalize my VA collection (I hope).
I might sell other synths if those above would cover all I need :)

EnGee wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:

I spent more time with Retrologue and compared the sound with Strobe, Cypher, Polysix, MS-20, Mono/Poly and kHs One.
Well, it sounds different. For me it is like the analog of 80's against the analog of 70's (DCAM synths). Both are required!
Korg synths have their own character, while I couldn't have a final opinion about kHs One except it is milder than Retrologue.
I'm noticing that I'm using the VA synths that easy to program much more than the complicated ones. So, I'm definitely going to buy Retrologue. It has a very low cpu usage compared to its sound. It will finalize my VA collection (I hope).
I might sell other synths if those above would cover all I need :)
Agreed, it does have its own place and its own sound, both modern and vintage.
Not many $50 synths can compare.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

4damind wrote:It's a very good VA with a great sound and great features. I use Retrologue very often and it replaced for me some other VA synth. Retrologue supports VST3 Note Expression, so with a host supporting this feature you can do very interesting things (per note automation).

I made a video for this some times ago...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSGhAaxk ... e=youtu.be

Wow, very useful.

Thanks for sharing.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Got it and love it! :wheee:

I didn't wait because I saw the price NZ$7 less than before! (I have no idea why). Anyway, I'm happy for this purchase :D

Thanks to the OP to bring the attention to it :tu:

Return to “Instruments”