VST's that don't waste your money

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

komplete standard is a very good buy, especially if you are light on instrument plugins. You get Kontakt which opens up your ability to buy sample-based instruments from a large and excellent pool aftermarket developers, Reaktor with its incredible factory and user library of ensembles and access to commercial ensembles by the likes of Twisted Tools plus the ability to roll/tweak your own, Battery for a dedicated Drum sampler instrument, Guitar Rig (great as effects even if you don't use it as an amp simulator), F m8, Massive, etc. It is not an all-in-one workstation environment though.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Gribs wrote:komplete standard is a very good buy, especially if you are light on instrument plugins. You get Kontakt which opens up your ability to buy sample-based instruments from a large and excellent pool aftermarket developers, Reaktor with its incredible factory and user library of ensembles and access to commercial ensembles by the likes of Twisted Tools plus the ability to roll/tweak your own, Battery for a dedicated Drum sampler instrument, Guitar Rig (great as effects even if you don't use it as an amp simulator), F m8, Massive, etc. It is not an all-in-one workstation environment though.
True, because it has no DAW itself mostly. And I did forget to mention the effects and GR5. After not being able to get IK Multimedia's T-RackS and Amplitube3 to work, I've been spending more time trying to 'find the love' for Guitar Rig, which I really like about 90%. There's something 'unnatural' in the sustain roll off to me though and the only way I've found so far to compenstae for it is with using some of the Softube effects which brings it up to maybe 95% good for me. I actually am preferring TH2 and Revalver for Amp sims but I don't think they have as much range as GR5.
And the increased effects in K9U were another factor in getting the upgrade for me. I'm just so disappointed in the samples libraries that came with it.

Also, if you're looking for a complete workstation solution without investing a thousand dollars, there's the Image Line Studio to consider...
For me though, I only like a couple of their VSTs. (Harmor & Sakura), and find I really have them covered with the AAS.
If all you need is VSTs and don't want to spend on K9S, I don't think you can go wrong with the AAS on sale.

I am not much of a fan of amp sims either, but I suppose that if picking dynamics and feel during play are not an issue and just reamping clean guitar samples or recordings is the goal they can do the job. I own three tube amps currently (a music Man HD150 that I bought new in the early 80's, A Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr., and a Bogner Shiva) and have owned many other combos and rack mounts over the years. Some of the amp sim hardware has been pretty good.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Return to “Instruments”