Creating a growl bass WITHOUT using Sytrus or FM8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In Kruudster you can modulate the A and B oscillators with C like in the video.

Set C octave to -3
Set A and B octaves to 2 and -1.

For A set wave to pulse or triangle
set B and C to sine.

A-B slider in the middle, in mix mode, blend mode sounds ok too.

Select FMAB mode on the slider named AB-C (or C-AB depending on what setting is currently selected).

Modulate the FMAB level with the MOD1 or MOD2 sliders (at the right from FMAB slider)
try with LFO as Modulation source to get that Yay yay growl sound.

Experiment with different octaves and waveforms. Try modulating the lfo speed. Instead of LFO modulate FM level with Aftertouch.

Thanks to fluffy who posted the Video. Now I know that FM is better than Bit crushing for that sound.

You are looking for Odo synths Double Six. That's your plugin until you decide to get a commercial big name awesome sound alternative

fluffy_little_something wrote:I know what growl is with a Music Man or Fender bass, but with synths? Maybe it is just an EQ thing 8)
Yeah this is what's confusing about the way this term seems to have been hijacked by the EDM people (again) - real basses can growl if you play them a certain way, this has been used in music for long before FM synths and plugins and certainly long before dubstep and EDM. It's like that other thread on dub music where someone wanted to know what 'plugin' a famous dub producer used to make his bass sounds :)

Ah_Dziz wrote:after watching that video and reading about what you are trying to achieve I can think of a couple of reasons you may be having trouble:

firstly the behavior of sytrus which makes the guy use a triangle wave instead of a sine seems to be a bug in that it is behaving as a square wave and not a sine wave as you can clearly hear from his video. So I would suggest you try a square wave instead of a triangle for your high frequency modulator if you are looking for that sound, but any harmonically rich modulator should work which brings me to my next point.

The strange vowel like movement of partials in these sounds you are trying to make is acheived most easily by internal aliasing in the fm engine. The old Yamaha fm synths (and also later synths of theirs) had insane amounts of aliasing which would cause a fold back into the audible spectrum of frequencies that have risen past the nyquist frequency of your synth. Many newer synths have used neat programming tricks to cut down on or eliminate aliasing internally in their oscillators and that makes the sound you are going for harder to obtain without using a sample rate reducer somewhere in your signal path. These types of sounds can be created by sending any thing with lots of high frequency harmonic movement through a sample rate reducer. Try hard sync'd or distorted resonant sounds with high cutoffs through any run of the mill sample rate reducer and you will hear those same types of vowel like modulations going on.

Hopefully that helps you move in the right direction. I just wanted to point out that the info in the video posted was incorrect in many ways and didn't address where the sound you want actually comes from.

ps sorry for all the typos that are probably in this post.

JJ

awesome post, thanks

androidlove wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:These types of sounds can be created by sending any thing with lots of high frequency harmonic movement through a sample rate reducer.
I have trouble bringing the quality back afterwards.
Resample! Find an aliased growl that sounds nice, sample it out, load it back into a sampler and play. You should be left with a cleaner middle ground where the aliasing 'follows' the whatever you play.

edit: Just spotted this is a necrobump. :dog:

The best synth I've found for this purpose is ODO's DoubleSix v2.0, or DoubleSix XXL.
Product page: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/double_ ... do_synths/
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/double_ ... odo_synths
DL: http://theodosynthsarchive.wordpress.co ... doublesix/

I'm currently using it to make a set of xFer Serum wavetables by resampling sweeps of the growls I created. Here is an upload of a slow sweep through some growls I have made with v2.0, plus an initial patch (It doesn't come with one).
http://www.mediafire.com/download/d7vlp ... Growls.zip

Pros:
-6 Oscillators each with individual envelope + distortion controls
-11 waveforms to choose from
-Tons of internal modulation options
-Basic Filter & FX Section built in.

Cons:
-Cluttered Layout
-No FM Matrix, but it comes with a great collection of prefab FM Algorithms
-DoubleSix 2's oscillators only tune by octaves, not semitones
-DoubleSix XXL has no mono re-trigger, so the oscillator phases are always random (creates inconsistent sound with each note played)

Tips:
-While it doesn't have the XY Modulations Sytrus does, there is a "PMD" knob underneath the FM Algorithms display. This is for total Phase Modulation Distortion, and it adjusts the total level the oscillators modulate each other by. Set the oscillators levels relative to each other using the "Gain" knobs, then automate this to get your growls.
-If using DoubleSix 2, turn on both the "mono" and "rtrg" buttons underneath the the Algorithm display. This will make the bass monophonic and reset the phases of the oscillators, so you get a consistent sound each time. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a way to do this with XXL, which is disappointing since it has more features.

Let me know if this helps!
Edit: Didn't realize this was such an old thread. Well, maybe somebody will benefit anyways!
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Return to “Instruments”