One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions, Chat, Voting and Results

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

I apologize to everyone. As I was the first to "take the bait", I feel responsible for the way this thread went. I did not appreciate Tony coming on here and calling me out personally because he didn't like the way I voted for his track. I have edited my post on the previous page to remove some of the emotionally charged phrases I used when describing my position. I have since tried to reach out to Tony privately in hopes that the two of us can discuss this civilly (we'll see).

I really do enjoy participating in this contest and hope to continue so in future months. I think (aside from these rare tangential quibbles) it represents the best of the independent internet music community. People offering and discussing their work in a friendly, supportive environment. What's not to like?

Anyway, I hope my previous reaction is not held against me.

-Brad

" I have since tried to reach out to Tony privately in hopes that the two of us can discuss this civilly (we'll see)."

i havent recieved anything. its moot anyways, if its like me and don ellis you wont like it for years and then maybe you will.

maybe we can talk then.

Tony Ostinato wrote:i havent recieved anything.
Tony:
If this is true then may I suggest you change the password on your account. Somebody of questionable mental faculty has been using it to respond to my attempts at civil dialog with irrational, insulting and berating replies. I have an inbox full of them from this weekend.

Everyone Else:
Once more, I'm sorry for kicking up dirt again. I have only posted this here in the case that Tony's account has been hijacked. I wanted to make sure he got this message.

-Brad

It's best for the community to simply continue this privately. Trying not to take sides here, hope you guys understand.

cytoSonic wrote:
Tony Ostinato wrote:i havent recieved anything.
Tony:
If this is true then may I suggest you change the password on your account. Somebody of questionable mental faculty has been using it to respond to my attempts at civil dialog with irrational, insulting and berating replies. I have an inbox full of them from this weekend.

Everyone Else:
Once more, I'm sorry for kicking up dirt again. I have only posted this here in the case that Tony's account has been hijacked. I wanted to make sure he got this message.

-Brad
I would leave it Brad simply not worth the hassle, you've tried, time to move on.
Tony is obviously upset as he can't understand or accept why someone doesn't like his tune and mark it low (not listened to it myself yet so no judgement from me), think he needs to understand that the OSC voting like music is subjective and the OSC rules simply say each vote is cast on which you think is best, doesn't state on how you come to decision on which is best and if you probably analysed all the voting results they will vary dramatically. Yes Tony, it's can be mind boggling and disheartening getting 1's, but remember that's just someone's opinion, just as it of those who gave you higher points, you did really well finishing 10th on your first OSC, so take it with a pinch of salt because you can't please all of the people all of the time, such is life. If you can't except that someone will mark you low then like you said maybe osc is not for you or just don't look at the damn voting stats if it upsets you. Think the stats are only show in the admins trying to be open about the voting.

jasinski wrote:A few thoughts:

Making music in the internet age has some major advantages and some disadvantages.

It's easy to learn new technology, mixing, theory, get new inspiration, know what people are doing all over the planet.

All that can be overwhelming but I think the biggest challenge is getting anyone to actually listen to or pay attention to your creations. The internet holds the possibility of getting a lot of feedback but it's a raging river that might seem impossible to get in to.

So take a moment to consider how great OSC is- even if you use it as a stepping stone on the way to some loftier goal.

• Every month you get a chance to learn new synthesis techniques or refine your sound design skills.
• You learn discipline by creating a completed track on a deadline.
• You gain instant access to a community of like-minded creatives. It's going to take time to get to know people and find your place but it's just time, it'll happen if you are patient and polite!
• People listen to your music (and sometimes comment)!
• By voting you are exposed to music styles you would probably wouldn't listen too (that's good for your horizons)- and music producers of various skill levels. I think there is a lot to be learned from there too.

A bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now.

I find if I focus on the things I can be grateful for it helps keep me from feeling like I'm being picked on or victimized.

---

My lack of voting this month was mentioned- the reason (at least in part) was that I just moved my family. We've been getting settled in and getting things set up. I've also had some deadlines for work that kept my focus elsewhere.
Nicely said :) :clap:

Still....po' li'l OBXD. :(

Great Synth. Great OSC. Too bad the thread devoted to them both is ending like this.
바보

bftucker wrote:Still....po' li'l OBXD. :(

Great Synth. Great OSC. Too bad the thread devoted to them both is ending like this.
Nah, has not ended yet - we have plenty of time to rejoice, and come together. :phones:

Last place for me, you are all jerks!

hehe, just kidding, I just have a lot too improve for any future OSC contests.

Thanks RichardSemper for your kind words a few pages back, I won't let it get me too down, a few tears tonight maybe:)

I'm actually very sorry I can't take more of a regular active part in these discussions, I have a computer at home but no internet so I can only take part when I head to the local library or maccas. I really had a lot of fun with making the track and also enjoyed the voting.

best wishes

cavegirl wrote:Last place for me, you are all jerks!

hehe, just kidding, I just have a lot too improve for any future OSC contests.

Thanks RichardSemper for your kind words a few pages back, I won't let it get me too down, a few tears tonight maybe:)

I'm actually very sorry I can't take more of a regular active part in these discussions, I have a computer at home but no internet so I can only take part when I head to the local library or maccas. I really had a lot of fun with making the track and also enjoyed the voting.

best wishes
lol that's the ticket, Just listen to your track this morning, you coaxed some really cool synth sounds out of obxd, so ignore the table and keep up with the good stuff :tu: .

Just to chime in as another OSC first timer - adding my particular brand of cheese to the proceedings - I find that having a month to get to know a synth lets you get some focus and quite often get surprised what quite incredible sounds can be coaxed from a seemingly old and limited synth.

From what I can see from my very limited time here there will of course be conflicting views on all tracks (e.g. I had plenty of 1's and a few 5's!). This is the very nature of music - many premieres of music by the great classical composers had less than affectionate reviews in their time. There are many who cannot stand jazz, others who stand by it. Contemporary electro-acoustic is a rather esoteric genre - very hard to understand and get into sometimes. And so it goes on ...

Coming 26th was just fine. Just a little sad that there were some great tracks in the DQ section.

So, to end this little message, I just think the OSC is a fun little group - clearly a number of you know each other by being regular contenders, and this is no bad thing - I also like the fact that some of you will take time to make constructive comments along a tunes timeline and not just drop off a simple one worder.

In time, perhaps you'll get to know me - I have very varied tastes in music and hopefully you'll hear some of this as the months pass us by.

db

Mmmhh ... i only want to say: congrats to the winner this month ... i have a small time amount in this and the last mont, so: sorry, i am very, very late :(

Have a nice day
https://soundcloud.com/kraftraum
-8<-------------------
Take it or break it!

Amazingly no one figured out who my track was a tribute to ,and no it wasn't Kenny g.
I put a pic of him and I on my track now.
He's pretty synonymous with the ob.

Maybe now some of you will hear the connection.

I see the late mr Zawinul, so I was a bit wrong :) with my return to forever-quote.

Return to “Instruments”