Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Largo PPG Wave 3.V Waldorf Edition: Attack Waldorf Edition: D-Pole Waldorf Edition: PPG Wave 2.V

aMUSEd wrote:Yeah getting there - Cube, Poseidon, now this. Just waiting for Tera and PPGWave then I will be almost 100% - looks like the only plugins I still use a lot that isn't 64 bit will be Surge, NI Spectral delay and dfx transverb.
Sorry to be OT, but is Cube 64 bit for Windows, too? I haven't seen that yet.

Don't know - it is on Mac (although just AU so far)

Ingonator wrote:Just tested at Live 9 64-bit. Mapping parameters for both autiomation and MIDI seems to work there.
Sure, that works in Reaper, too. I'm talking about factory MIDI CC setup that's in the manual Appendix. Try that. Load a fresh instance of Largo on a track, send CC 69 to it and see if F1 Cutoff knob moves. Over here, it doesn't. I have to manually do it via Reaper's MIDI learn.

D-Fusion wrote:Just got back after a walk with my dog and was ready to test it but the 64bit version both vst2 and 3 makes the vst scanner in Sonar X3 Crash.
Nevermind. Tried Reaper to and it crash on vst scan there also :/
Off to do some debuging on my side then :dog:

I have read at several places that a certain number non negligible of people prefer the version 2.3 of PPG Wave to the version 3. Do some of you agree with that impression (or understand the arguments of those who are in the case, myself I'm a bit troubled with some of these arguments which seem very subjective)?
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote:I have read at several places that a certain number non negligible of people prefer the version 2.3 of PPG Wave to the version 3. Do some of you agree with that impression (or understand the arguments of those who are in the case, myself I'm a bit troubled with some of these arguments which seem very subjective)?
PPG wave 3.V is a much more accurate emulation of the real PPG wave 2.2/2.3 than PPG Wave 2.V was.
Besides taht PPG wave 3.V adds many new features like an advanced filter, different modes like Wave 2.2 or Wave 2.3, around 100 new wavetables, sample import, the Waveterm B sample library, multiple FXs, a patch/file browser and more.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

So any news on the 64 bit version. I'm dying to use it in Logic X.

Ingonator wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:I have read at several places that a certain number non negligible of people prefer the version 2.3 of PPG Wave to the version 3. Do some of you agree with that impression (or understand the arguments of those who are in the case, myself I'm a bit troubled with some of these arguments which seem very subjective)?
PPG wave 3.V is a much more accurate emulation of the real PPG wave 2.2/2.3 than PPG Wave 2.V was.
Besides taht PPG wave 3.V adds many new features like an advanced filter, different modes like Wave 2.2 or Wave 2.3, around 100 new wavetables, sample import, the Waveterm B sample library, multiple FXs, a patch/file browser and more.

Ingo
Ok. Thanks Ingo. I put the question because I don't know neither the 2.3 nor the 3.0 and I plan to purchase Wave in the next weeks. And you know that in general I prefer objective facts rather than subjective impressions (which can't necessarily be anything else than the mirror of the tastes of everyone).

Thanks!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

BlackWinny wrote: Ok. Thanks Ingo. I put the question because I don't know neither the 2.3 nor the 3.0 and I plan to purchase Wave in the next weeks. And you know that in general I prefer objective facts rather than subjective impressions (which can't necessarily be anything else than the mirror of the tastes of everyone).

Thanks!
a note concerning names:

The newer plugin is called Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V, the older one Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V.

The original hardware synths were called PPG Wave 2, PPG Wave 2.2 and PPG Wave 2.3.

FWIW two years ago at the Musikmesse i played with the real thing (PPG Wave 2.3) and to me the PPG Wave 3.V plugin sounds similar.
PPG founder/developer Wolfgang Palm was involved with beta testing and factory presets and also the new wavetables are from him. Besides that PPG "guru" Hermann Seib and also Till Kopper were testing/checking their real hardware synths to get the sound as close as possible. also the enveloepes were corrected during that process.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I previously couldn't use Largo for more than a minute or so before the GUI started jumping around centering where ever you clicked. Now that bug is gone, but for starters I got a huge noise blast and peaked meters when loading a project that already had Largo. Not very nice.

The same arp problems are still there. Both Logic and Studio One Mac arp have stacked notes, out of sync, arp renders as poly chord.

Mousewheel is now so sensitive that you only need to touch it for knob to go from one end to another. The gui in general is a bit more sluggish.

Yawn… I wonder if this will ever be usable.

Ingonator wrote:
BlackWinny wrote: Ok. Thanks Ingo. I put the question because I don't know neither the 2.3 nor the 3.0 and I plan to purchase Wave in the next weeks. And you know that in general I prefer objective facts rather than subjective impressions (which can't necessarily be anything else than the mirror of the tastes of everyone).

Thanks!
a note concerning names:

The newer plugin is called Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V, the older one Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V.

The original hardware synths were called PPG Wave 2, PPG Wave 2.2 and PPG Wave 2.3.

FWIW two years ago at the Musikmesse i played with the real thing (PPG Wave 2.3) and to me the PPG Wave 3.V plugin sounds similar.
PPG founder/developer Wolfgang Palm was involved with beta testing and factory presets and also the new wavetables are from him. Besides that PPG "guru" Hermann Seib and also Till Kopper were testing/checking their real hardware synths to get the sound as close as possible. also the enveloepes were corrected during that process.

Ingo
Nice. Such facts are (for me at least) more important than simple subjective appreciations (though they are not to negligate of course). Thanks!

Ingonator wrote:

Thanks!
a note concerning names:

Ingo
Herman Seib's free wavesim was stunning. I don't think you could have asked for a more qualified dev team. Still can't understand why it was released as a 32bit only plug in late 2010 and not delayed release another 6 months to get a 64bit port done by mid 2011. I also wonder how well the 3.V filter/resonance does compared to the 2.2 filter.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Herman Seib's free wavesim was stunning.
I was playing around with this recently and at first i found it pretty good too. In fact i was so amazed at how great it sounded at 192000Hz (which makes a GIGANTIC difference compared to 44100 or even 96000), that i even made a new skin for it because on the original one you could hardly read anything.

However, the amazement didnt last very long once i started to dive in deeper. There are severe problems with the voice handler, (which really ruins the whole thing), the sequencer doesnt work properly and often even crashes the plugin, some of the buttons dont do what they should be doing according to the WAVE manual, et cetera. In the end i was so turned off that i had to file it under 'unusable', which is a shame, because this synth produced some of the nicest and smoothest saw-phasing i ever heard out of a plugin. (You can check this out here. Full of power and energy, yet practically no 'fizzing' at all.)

Still, im willing to bet that if all those issues were fixed, and certain things qualitatively enhanced, this could be a great success because a lot about it is done right already. I therefore really hope that Hermann isnt somehow 'discouraged' by the Waldorf version because his own definitely is no slouch. It just needs more work.

D-Fusion wrote:The 64bit version is just released now (Largo) :tu:
http://www.waldorf-music.info/downloads-largo
:party:

Here's some initial feedback for Largo. The Cut-off movement has become ultra sensitive with the mouse and Command click no longer holds the key pressed in Largo keyboard - this is very handy while programming Pads.

Return to “Instruments”