IKM SampleTank 3 (ST3) Now Available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3

gamecat666 wrote:i'd sincerely love to be proved wrong, but im guessing this Sampletank 3 'Free' is not able to import/load legacy ST2.5 libraries.. ?
No need to guess, it does not. I had stated this would be the case and it is listed in the release notes that its only limitation is the pre-set sound library. Thanks.

gamecat666 wrote:i'd sincerely love to be proved wrong, but im guessing this Sampletank 3 'Free' is not able to import/load legacy ST2.5 libraries.. ?
Come on. It's been discussed ad nauseum and made clear by IK for a very long time that there would *not* be a "free" version that would load the legacy libraries.

The confusion lies in the names. Sampletank Free is not the same as Sampletank Demo. IIRC, their demos would last 10 days or something, and then go on the fritz one way or another. And how are people to judge anything beforehand when the instruments are being given piecemeal?
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Free versions are how we offer demos for AmpliTube and T-RackS currently, and is the same thing you get when you would click the "Download" button on the SampleTank 2.x page in the past and it didn't seem to confuse much for those.

BBFG# wrote:
At least the demo is here to give it a try.
Sorry, I meant at least there is a 64 bit free version to give it a try. :ud:

The free version seems like a generous offer. Does anybody know whether it's still necessary (like in Amplitube CS and Sampletank 2.5) to run the DAW as administrator? I uninstalled the aforementioned quickly, because of the unnecessary hassle I had. Workflow is crucial if one wants to be creative. There is very few programs that force me to run them as administrator.

Izak Synthiemental wrote:The free version seems like a generous offer. Does anybody know whether it's still necessary (like in Amplitube CS and Sampletank 2.5) to run the DAW as administrator? I uninstalled the aforementioned quickly, because of the unnecessary hassle I had. Workflow is crucial if one wants to be creative. There is very few programs that force me to run them as administrator.
Ha! IK got me to 'Run as Administrator' on everything, whether it needs to or not.

Izak Synthiemental wrote:The free version seems like a generous offer. Does anybody know whether it's still necessary (like in Amplitube CS and Sampletank 2.5) to run the DAW as administrator? I uninstalled the aforementioned quickly, because of the unnecessary hassle I had. Workflow is crucial if one wants to be creative. There is very few programs that force me to run them as administrator.
AmpliTube CS should not need to be run as Administrator. Please work with support (further if you already have) on this since it really shouldn't be required there. SampleTank 3 does not require this either.

I admit It was too much to expect them to provide things other companies do for free. :party:

jsp1979 wrote:
Come on. It's been discussed ad nauseum and made clear by IK for a very long time that there would *not* be a "free" version that would load the legacy libraries.
I'd have to disagree with you. I think its a reasonable question.

"SampleTank 3 Free is essentially a fully functioning version of SampleTank 3"

It actually can lead people to believe that its possible based on IKs description. Now of course if you live for every piece of news from IK than the answer will seem obvious.

gamecat666 wrote:I admit It was too much to expect them to provide things other companies do for free. :party:
We have provided 64-bit updates for all other flagship products at no cost. SampleTank 3 is a major update and we're happy to see people interested in running legacy products in an environment that did not exist for much of the lifecycle of the long-running Powered By SampleTank product line, this is a major update and we offered a very low upgrade price (as well as Introductory pricing still running now) to ease the cost to anybody that has been using Powered By SampleTank products in 32-bit environments and would like to use them in their 64-bit DAW environment now. So yes, we do provide things other companies do for free and we also offer a reasonable upgrade path in cases like this. I am sorry that it doesn't suit your needs or meet your expectations, perhaps another IK offering in the future will do so. Thank you for participating and keeping the SampleTank 3 interest alive, even while not on board with this particular IK product. It is appreciated.

For those interested in the free version (or the full version for that matter), you can visit the SampleTank 3 product page at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/sampletank3 or get the free version and 3.0.2 update for the full version (as well as the recent sounds updater) in your IK User Area at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea

xcentric wrote: "SampleTank 3 Free is essentially a fully functioning version of SampleTank 3"

It actually can lead people to believe that its possible based on IKs description. Now of course if you live for every piece of news from IK than the answer will seem obvious.
It is possible to misinterpret part of a statement, yes, if you stop reading after the first 11 or so words... Here is what it says in the IK User Area:
ST3 Free Release notes wrote:SampleTank 3 FREE is a fully functional version of SampleTank 3 whose only limitation is the preset sound set. SampleTank 3 FREE starts with an extraordinary concert grand piano and will add more sounds each week until all instrument categories are represented.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
xcentric wrote: "SampleTank 3 Free is essentially a fully functioning version of SampleTank 3"

It is possible to misinterpret part of a statement, yes, if you stop reading after the first 11 or so words... Here is what it says in the IK User Area:
ST3 Free Release notes wrote:SampleTank 3 FREE is a fully functional version of SampleTank 3 whose only limitation is the preset sound set. SampleTank 3 FREE starts with an extraordinary concert grand piano and will add more sounds each week until all instrument categories are represented.
:lol:

So perhaps they should've said: "Now, of course, if you live for actually reading what IK wrote about it on the actual product page, then the answer will be obvious."

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:

That can still be easily misconstrued, as in while you get a limited set of NEW sounds that we'll release to you as we see fit, there is no mention of whether you can import already existing sounds from previous IK VIs.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Then I hope I've cleared it up here. Especially since I probably haven't stated it for a time (so many many pages of this thread have happened since), so that's fair enough.

(edit to try to state that more clearly)
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”