IKM SampleTank 3 (ST3) Now Available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3

Bombadil wrote:Irony alert: my wife ordered this for me for my birthday. That's what I get for leaving my passwords around. :dog:
I'm going to steal your wife. Does she like collies? PM me ur address...
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Bombadil wrote:Irony alert: my wife ordered this for me for my birthday. That's what I get for leaving my passwords around. :dog:

So, I am, apparently, in. I guess she just wanted to stop me bitching. :roll:
Wow.

You bitch about Sampletank to your WIFE?

Without knowing anything else about her, I can tell that she is an extraordinary woman. Not only putting up with your grousing, but rolling up her sleeves to do something about it. Hang on to her.

Is she a musician as well? Because if not, I think a move toward sainthood might be in order.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:It was smooth for me, especially since we have a bit of an advantage with the previous libraries being IK products :)
But you couldn't use a screen recorder and produce a simple video of it? Incredible. For a company that wants to sell a product, you seem to be making very little effort to give your potential customers reasons to buy it - like a few hours of video, demoing thousands of presets, full pieces of music with multiple parts, etc.

BERFAB wrote:

Wow.

Without knowing anything else about her, I can tell that she is an extraordinary woman. Not only putting up with your grousing, but rolling up her sleeves to do something about it. Hang on to her.

Is she a musician as well? Because if not, I think a move toward sainthood might be in order.

Cheers
-B
I mentioned it a couple of times, because she asked me if we could use the Harpsichord in Miroslav in a Logic X project, and I explained why it was a PITA. Yes, my wife is an excellent musician. Otherwise, there'd be no point in mentioning it to her. Yes, she is a saint, but not for the reason you are citing.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

jsp1979 wrote:
basslinemaster wrote:
jsp1979 wrote: Huh? I said right in my post: "it doesn't mean they always make the right call." I never said this decision was without a doubt the right way to go. Big companies make dumb decisions all the time. I never said they didn't. So, I guess that makes that a "strawman argument" on your part--since we're pointing out logical fallacies.

Continuing in that vein, my original post was about how your post declaring the "truth" that selling the player only would make them more money had absolutely no support. It's just your guess, but you declared it as obvious truth. It may be right, but it may be wrong. I just pointed out that I'm sure they at least considered the idea and for whatever reason, nixed it. That could be a horrible mistake....but it could actually be the smart thing to do. I don't know. You don't know either.
Sorry, but I DO know, and so do most of the rest of the people here. Just because you aren't very good at maths and simple thinking, doesn't mean the rest of us aren't.
You're definitely demonstrating something in this thread, but it isn't logic.

You do NOT know that selling the player only initially would make them *more money*. To claim otherwise is a lie. In order to say that, you'd need to demonstrate that they would sell more than 3 and 1/3 times as many $30 players as they would sell $99 versions with the library. Where's your proof? Where's your evidence outside of the "facts" you're pulling out of your behind?

As pointed out a couple of posts above, the strategy is probably this: Sell the version with the library first (and you'll get some people who only really want the engine who will buy the full deal). Introduce a player version later (if at all) to get the holdouts thereafter.

Oh, and there are definitely people hoping you'll develop Windows 9....and they all work for Apple.
Now I understand what your problem is. You didn't understand what I actually wrote.
I was suggesting (obviously, since nobody else misread what I wrote) that they sell the full version AND the ST3 player...
We know what their strategy is, as you explained above - and? Their strategy is wrong, it is losing them money, pissing off existing customers, etc. And LOL at the white knights who have come in to defend IKM's bad business decisions. It truly astounds me the way some people are incapable of even understanding the most basic thing. Where on earth did I give the impression that I wanted IKM to NOT sell the full version, but instead begin by just selling the ST3 player?
Secondly, as somebody noted above, most other companies gave their customers FREE upgrades to 64 bit versions of software they already owned. They could easily have given the free ST3 player to existing ST2 owners, with an offer to be able to upgrade to the ST3 content at a discount. That's how successful companies do business.
It's no skin off my nose. I'm certainly not going to buy a product before I get a chance to read several reviews, watch long videos of customers using it, and read forum comments AFTER it has been released.
I am also amazed at the white knights trying desperately to prove me wrong, leaping to the defence of their 'chosen' developer.

Kraznet wrote:Actually I think I'm going to buy the upgrade regardless of the VAT and stuff. There's no sampler/rompler I really feel 100% comfortable with and Sampletank 3 looks like it could be just the ticket. I think we're all a bit spoilt nowadays with such a plethora of great plug-ins/virtual instruments at amazing prices The first computer-based sampler I ever bought was around 1994. It Was called SampleCell 11 and it was a hardware card which fitted in the nubus slot of my Mac. It cost me about £2600 with 16 MB of RAM. It was very expensive but but I think they were very few other if any alternatives is that time. I paid a similar price for an 8 in 8 out Digidesign 16-bit interface plus card. So €79 plus VAT is peanuts really and its massively more powerful than the SampleCell ever was
This applies to all other VSTs and all computer related technology in existence today, and is totally irrelevant. You might as well say "I am going to buy every VST on the market over the next six months, because [insert your 'I used to live in a shoebox and walk ten miles to school every day] spiel here]". LOL.

samsam wrote:So summing up some of the _deep_ economic analysis in this thread...

IKM have made a business decision and we, as customers, should act according to whether we feel their offer is a good one.

Hmmmm, interesting.
You could, of course, have tried to offer a rebuttal to my simple economic argument. I see you didn't. Who ever denied that IKM 'have made a business decision'? They are going to lose money because of their greed.
We still don't have any explanation as to why they charge existing customers 15 euros to download 2GB of data, for Sampletank expansions, and we still don't have an answer as to how much, if anything, they will charge you if you dare to want to redownload ST3. What if it's 15 euros? Why should it cost anything, in today's market?

basslinemaster wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:It was smooth for me, especially since we have a bit of an advantage with the previous libraries being IK products :)
But you couldn't use a screen recorder and produce a simple video of it? Incredible. For a company that wants to sell a product, you seem to be making very little effort to give your potential customers reasons to buy it - like a few hours of video, demoing thousands of presets, full pieces of music with multiple parts, etc.
We have our internal people who make our videos, and if I did an "off the cuff" video that did not represent IK and go through the proper channels (especially showing a product that has not been released yes in a form that may not be final and showed something not for public consumption at the time, etc) it would not be a good idea - I like keeping my job (I've done videos before, it just isn't something I do by the seat of my pants for IK). We're a large enough company to have a method to what we do and the official videos will come and at that time (same with anything that is not coming during the preorder period) and if the content of a certain video is a showstopper then the option exists to wait until it is out.

You are welcome to make suggestions about how IK does business at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-us/ ... IKForm.php and if you feel you can contribute directly and have the skill set then we also have job listings on our site. The latter based on your assumptions about what IK is doing (note that we have already exceeded our preorder goals and we have more than a good idea what we're doing - please see past data on the free version issue that seems to be the cornerstone of your armchair business analysis of IK and you'll note that SampleTank Free with full features including import did not get released for years after SampleTank 2.x was released. That's just one piece of data you may be missing, but I've already suggested direct contact or applying for a job if you think you can help take it to the next level)
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hangman85 wrote:Just pre-ordered the upgrade from Miroslav. So Sampletank will become available to download tomorrow? What time/timezone?

Looking forward to finally using this thing!
We do not have a specific time, we will send email notification when it is available in your IK User Area.

BERFAB wrote: Is she a musician as well? Because if not, I think a move toward sainthood might be in order.
Sorry, I had to chuckle at this in general and because (though I know you didn't mean it this way) it reads as if being a musician and a saint are mutually exclusive. Well, I guess technically they aren't but in practice there are likely very few that would qualify for both :)

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I don't think I'll boast much, I'll just be happy that those who want SampleTank 3 will have it. :)
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:The latter based on your assumptions about what IK is doing (note that we have already exceeded our preorder goals...

How about that! You didn't even have to wait until the release date to boast :hihi:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:...and we have more than a good idea what we're doing - please see past data on the free version issue that seems to be the cornerstone of your armchair business analysis of IK...
Now, Peter, I think you were a little hard on the Beaver. :P

basslinemaster wrote:
Kraznet wrote:Actually I think I'm going to buy the upgrade regardless of the VAT and stuff. There's no sampler/rompler I really feel 100% comfortable with and Sampletank 3 looks like it could be just the ticket. I think we're all a bit spoilt nowadays with such a plethora of great plug-ins/virtual instruments at amazing prices The first computer-based sampler I ever bought was around 1994. It Was called SampleCell 11 and it was a hardware card which fitted in the nubus slot of my Mac. It cost me about £2600 with 16 MB of RAM. It was very expensive but but I think they were very few other if any alternatives is that time. I paid a similar price for an 8 in 8 out Digidesign 16-bit interface plus card. So €79 plus VAT is peanuts really and its massively more powerful than the SampleCell ever was
This applies to all other VSTs and all computer related technology in existence today, and is totally irrelevant. You might as well say "I am going to buy every VST on the market over the next six months, because [insert your 'I used to live in a shoebox and walk ten miles to school every day] spiel here]". LOL.

No I did state that I haven't felt 100% comfortable with any romper/sampler and that I thought Sampletank might just be the ticket. I wasn't suggesting everyone went out and bought every VST just because they are cheaper than they were 20 years ago.I just thought you'd make an interesting anecdote. Although in many ways I was more creative in those days when I had a limited palette of sounds and no Internet :-)
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Well, blueman, you got me there - guilty as charged. I'll try to be good now, and await all of the solid business advice to flow to us directly and perhaps an application if we're lucky enough for those talents are available for hire. I didn't even boast about how many people that "swore off IK and/or SampleTank 3" were on board, oops OK now I'm done.

Seriously, though, this will be an exciting release and I'm going to try my best to go through and knock out any concerns and topics of interest on the last day of preorder pricing. The particular topic that was covered in your quoted post is answered directly and clearly, so we can move on from that for now. I will also check on the upcoming videos, I know they won't all come at once but I'll handle my part in the process with the ones that are coming first and get them out ASAP.
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bombadil wrote:
BERFAB wrote:

Wow.

Cheers
-B
I mentioned it a couple of times, because she asked me if we could use the Harpsichord in Miroslav in a Logic X project, and I explained why it was a PITA. Yes, my wife is an excellent musician. Otherwise, there'd be no point in mentioning it to her. Yes, she is a saint, but not for the reason you are citing.
Even better. A keeper. :D
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Yarp! :D
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Instruments”