VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3

bharris22 wrote:
basslinemaster wrote:
donato wrote:
bharris22 wrote:I'm sure this has been asked and answered (if so, please do send me the link), but why will there not be an empty 64-bit ST "player" or "shell" that could load SampleMoog, SampleTron and SonikSynth?
Because it doesn't make them $.
Correction: because they THINK it doesn't make them $...

Actually it would, but they don't understand (nor seem to care) what their existing customers want, and won't listen. I already explained this earlier on in this thread (I think), and it was ignored by IKM.

If they sold an empty 64 bit ST player, for say $30, I, and probably most other existing ST, Sampletron, SampleMoog, SonikSynth and Miroslav owners would buy it. IKM could then offer us a discount on the new ST3 library, if we wanted to buy it at a later date. They actually think they are going to make more money by NOT doing this, and there is no point in even trying to get them to look at things objectively, because like so many companies, it's a case of "We've made up our minds, and we don't care if our entire company collapses, as long as we don't have to admit we were wrong." Case in point: Microsoft and Windows 8's interface. They have lost hundreds of millions of pounds because they couldn't admit they were wrong. That's the mentality of whoever makes these stupid decisions. They will never admit they were wrong, and thus can never go back on their decision and say "I'm really sorry, I didn't ask my customers what they wanted BEFORE I came up with this idea, but now I know what you actually want to BUY from me, I'll do something crazy and actually let you BUY it!"

It's so simple, a child can work it out: IKM have a large user base of existing ST, SampleMoog, Miroslav, etc. owners. I would imagine most of them (of the ones who still use their IKM software) would buy a 64 bit 'player' if it was a no-brainer price - under $30. Some of them would also buy the ST3 content later on, especially if IKM had the brains (which they don't), to give you some quality free presets every week, in your e-mail, to tempt you, with a money off coupon, etc.etc.etc.

Obviously their current model means that the only people who will buy ST3 are:
1) the ones who want the ST3 content
2) the tiny number of current ST2, etc. owners who want a 64 bit player alone, and not the ST3 content, and are prepared to pay a fortune for a 64 bit player (since they don't want the ST3 content, they are only buying ST3 for the ability to play ST2 sounds with a 64 bit VST).

It doesn't take a calculator to work out that equals much less money than the example I gave above, of a sub $30 ST3 player, as well as the full ST3 program.
You sure do make a lot of sense. I would buy a ST3 player for $30 (or some other nominal amount). I just don't see the need to pay $100 for ever more samples of traditional instruments when I already have Kontakt, MachFive 3, etc., let alone $200 once the intro price is over.
I've got to agree I've decided I won't be upgrading but would be interested in just the 64bit Engine and happy to pay $30........

It maybe be worth setting up a poll so IK can judge for themselves :idea: :?:

I appreciate your input, right now we have documented pricing (with a deep discount for preorder which has only days left to take part in) for this release period and out 2 months+ from that. We have the current preorder pricing as well as the upcoming Introductory pricing (that will run for two months after SampleTank 3 is released) and the full pricing detailed here: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=4328

jsp1979 wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:9 days left! Since this is actually a countdown now :) http://www.ikmultimedia.com/sampletank3

Peter, can you have the guys at IK talk to Sweetwater? I went to buy the upgrade (with a gift cert), and they've already raised the price to the next level ($150) when it should be $99.

I talked with them on the phone, and the first answer was that the promotion had expired (even though the Sweetwater banner correctly states that the promo ends in 9 days).

Can anyone at IK help straighten this out?
I see I didn't mention that the listing there was fixed yesterday too, so that's another option available to those who want to take advantage of the deeply discounted preorder pricing.

Yes, I noticed they got the right prices posted again.

Thanks IK for getting in touch with them about it.

LoopyFruit wrote:I've got to agree I've decided I won't be upgrading but would be interested in just the 64bit Engine and happy to pay $30........

It maybe be worth setting up a poll so IK can judge for themselves :idea: :?:
just curious... for that $30 64-bit engine... would that engine include the new effects that comes with ST 3? i.e. the ones from ik multimedia's other products?

the reason that i am asking is for $15 you could get jbridge and have the 64-bit environment... plus... jbridge actually works pretty well...

again... i am not fond of ik multimedia's policies and their reps... just curious... exactly what would you want to come with that $30 64-bit ST 3 engine...

I was becoming quite excited by all the screenshots of the ST3 interface and was almost ready to buy it at the pre order price, even though I only really wanted the ability to use my ST2 sounds in my 64 bit host. However, since I am still using Snow Leopard quite happily here, and am able to run the latest Kontakt with all these great sample libraries, I am now able to easily decline the offer of ST3.
If IK could have been bothered to check if ST3 will run on SL, it would have taken all of an hour I suppose, I would have given them my money, even though I don't really need lots of new sampled instruments. I guess IK is so sure that they will sell loads that they don't care about the extra revenue they could have earned from those still using Snow Leopard. Seems like a strange attitude for a business to adopt, NI did the same thing with Kontakt, but we found a way round it.
As it is I feel strangely peaceful, no longer lusting after something I really don't need, and happy to use ST2 with 32 Lives on my 'outdated' operating system, with loads of free disk space. Thanks.

zyzygis wrote:I was becoming quite excited by all the screenshots of the ST3 interface and was almost ready to buy it at the pre order price, even though I only really wanted the ability to use my ST2 sounds in my 64 bit host. However, since I am still using Snow Leopard quite happily here, and am able to run the latest Kontakt with all these great sample libraries, I am now able to easily decline the offer of ST3.
If IK could have been bothered to check if ST3 will run on SL, it would have taken all of an hour I suppose, I would have given them my money, even though I don't really need lots of new sampled instruments. I guess IK is so sure that they will sell loads that they don't care about the extra revenue they could have earned from those still using Snow Leopard. Seems like a strange attitude for a business to adopt, NI did the same thing with Kontakt, but we found a way round it.
As it is I feel strangely peaceful, no longer lusting after something I really don't need, and happy to use ST2 with 32 Lives on my 'outdated' operating system, with loads of free disk space. Thanks.
You would be able to check for yourself with the demo version upon release, but Snow Leopard is 3 versions back from the current version and is just before the spec'd requirements here http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sa ... nk-3-specs so you'd do so at your own risk as we cannot support anything below these specs. I hope you understand that a casual test of an older version of an OS influencing a purchase not something that we'd feel should be done or taken lightly. You are open to do what you wish similar to the other scenario you mentioned, but companies have posted specs for a reason and never recommend below those nor do I see many if any doing casual tests pre-release for this either.

Edit - we also go through this with mobile apps too, it is not always easy but the decision sometimes must be to go with the more recent versions of the OS there too even though there's a market full of people with older versions (this is especially difficult in the Android market due to so many devices with ancient versions making up a larger part of the market than one might think).

Can Sampletank 3 load Scala tun files?

memyselfandus wrote:Can Sampletank 3 load Scala tun files?
It does not load Scala files.

Peter,

I'm curious about the content. I know that some of the content is from Miroslav from previous posts. But, can we get an actual list of the content with maybe an indicator if it came from an existing ST2 library? I have quite a few of the ST2 xpansion packs. I don't want to import stuff that is already there.

Sorry if I missed this info along the way.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:Peter,

I'm curious about the content. I know that some of the content is from Miroslav from previous posts. But, can we get an actual list of the content with maybe an indicator if it came from an existing ST2 library? I have quite a few of the ST2 xpansion packs. I don't want to import stuff that is already there.

Sorry if I missed this info along the way.
All of SampleTank XL is in there, no Expansion Tanks are included though. There is only some Miroslav Philharmonik content and it has been reprogrammed to add articulations through keyswitching etc (basically combining some of the sounds to get a more controlled and expressive instrument using better articulation control) like you can hear in this audio demo:
https://soundcloud.com/ikmultimedia/st3 ... t3-strings

ah great, thanks.

Will downloads become available at 12:01 a.m. on 7/24 (presumably EST if in the U.S.)? I'm asking because 7/25 is a (crappy) holiday here in Utah, and I'd love to download the sounds overnight, so I can use ST3 after I wake up for my day off on 7/25.

:party:
Tangled roots perplex her ways.

anxiousmofo wrote: 7/25 is a (crappy) holiday
Is there such a thing? I'm confused.

:lol:

Yeah, any holiday no matter how crappy is better than any day at work!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Return to “Instruments”