MUX in review

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MuLab App MuLab Plugin

I am starting to write a review about MUX by MuTools.

I am not sure why I haven't heard much else about it.
http://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html

This looks like a go-to product, really cool

:)

MUX is really amazing, I have to use it a little bit more. It sounds awesome and it's super nice on CPU usage.

Looking forward to reading your review. :)

It is the most clever package released since long time:

- sounds absolutely amazing
- very flexibel and well developed
- very very easy to use compared to it´s main competitor Bidule
- very stable and CPU friendly

but it doesn´t look fancy and "Pro" enough and doesn´t have many "Pro" presets, so it´s sadly overlooked if not even ignored...

Perhaps a good review could help to make it more popular.

It's a bit like Synthedit, you can make your own synths & effects with it. :love:

Unfortunately you cannot make a custom GUI (you can only change the colors)... :cry:

Trancit wrote: but it doesn´t look fancy and "Pro" enough and doesn´t have many "Pro" presets, so it´s sadly overlooked if not even ignored...
I rather think that most people prefer a more "straight forward" approach, and don't want to build their own synthesizer, before using it...

chk071 wrote:
Trancit wrote: but it doesn´t look fancy and "Pro" enough and doesn´t have many "Pro" presets, so it´s sadly overlooked if not even ignored...
I rather think that most people prefer a more "straight forward" approach, and don't want to build their own synthesizer, before using it...
It's a question of time. Even if I have MUX since more than a year now, I still didn't have enough time to create some extraordinary patches. But I admire people like AndreasD who have already made plenty of creative effects with it... :love:

Tricky-Loops wrote:
chk071 wrote:
It's a question of time. Even if I have MUX since more than a year now, I still didn't have enough time to create some extraordinary patches. But I admire people like AndreasD who have already made plenty of creative effects with it... :love:
:oops:

Tricky-Loops wrote:It's a question of time.
I think it's a question of willingness to get into this sort of thing too. :) It's just not my thing to first patch up and set up devices, and think about what i need and don't need. I'm sure Mux is a great tool for people who like modulars, but arguing that this thing isn't as popular as it is, because it doesn't look "pro" just doesn't cut it imo. Why is Sytenth1 so popular? Surely not because it looks "pro", in fact it looks a bit cheap and dated by now. But it's dead easy to use, and very straight forward, and it sounds good of course. Ok, a lot of the popularity also comes from word of mouth, just like with other synths/plugins, but that won't come out of nowhere either.

Anyway, don't want to sound negative about this thing, it's just that wondering why it isn't more popular is a bit off, because the architecture rather applies to the "geek" fraction imo.

chk071 wrote:
But this a bit misunderstood:

There are tons of already premade Synths included, like many VA or Hybrid ones, Samplers, tons of effects, a very capable drum sampler as multi or single version and don´t forget, it´s a very powerful VST/i chainer as well...
If I have a look at DDMF´s Metaplugin, it´s nearly the price of the whole MUX package for just a chainer enviroment without everything else... what a crazy world...

No need to build your own ones, only having the possibilty if you like...

Together with the already named pros, this package is a steal for this price...
Additionaly, it´s active developed with a very very user friendly support, one of the best I ever experienced...

Trancit wrote: Together with the already named pros, this package is a steal for this price...
Additionaly, it´s active developed with a very very user friendly support, one of the best I ever experienced...
Totally agree, no doubt about that. :) I just thought i post some assumptions why it could be that Mux isn't that popular yet. Although i frankly have no idea how popular it really is, it just seems to me, that it's still more of an insider tip. And yes, i know that it comes with a lot of pre-built stuff, it's just a question whether someone who'd be after a modern VA would actually need that level of complexity some time. I just think that the target audience of, say, Sylenth1 or Massive is a bit different to that of Mux.

I love MUX a lot, but I think part of the problem is that very few people really know about it as a product separate from Mulab. Mulab has a lot of good features, but it is not as fully developed as a number of other DAWs, at least not yet. If people have heard of MUX at all, they may think it too is not as full featured a synth. I think the best part of Mulab is that MUX is integrated into it.

I know the dev is a one man operation and must be incredibly busy, but I think it would help him to push MUX separately from Mulab.

Examigan wrote:I am starting to write a review about MUX by MuTools.

I am not sure why I haven't heard much else about it.
http://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html

This looks like a go-to product, really cool

:)

I tried it out recently. I was lusting after it after seeing demos.

Was a bit let down. Maybe coz I was doing band splitting crossover stuff.

Meh.

It looks like a great tool. But it didn't really do what I wanted it to do.

It is too crippled unless you pay too high a price. What is it? 99 dollars or euros?
But maybe they got it right.

Jo is a super cool guy and dev. I just wanna pay 50 bucks and have a full functioning version. I'd spring for that. Maybe I just don't realise how much I need it.

:-)

The presets did not invite me in.

A three band or four band crossover is the most basic of things for this kind of thing.

The Juce framework is it?, I don't know, done by Julian Storer of Tracktion fame. It's great and all that, but, it's just a bit lame. There must be a reason why devs use it I suppose. I must sound hyper critical. It's just slow with bad graphics.

I really wish Jo well with it though, and I will buy it in the future at some point even if he doesn't change the price. Even the cripped version is worth the money.

It just doesn't cry 'Take me now!'.

Maybe that was a bad analogy. I'll leave it there. Then again, maybe I shouldn't have used that word.

:-)

49 EUR

69 EUR

http://www.mutools.com/shop.html

99 Dollars ain't so far off 69 Euros...

That's MuLab, Mux costs 49 €.

Return to “Instruments”