How many virtual drum instruments do you own?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

How many drum VIs do you own?

8%
10%
16%
9%
13%
6-10
18%
11-15
6%
16-20
5%
21-25
4%
26 - All of them
4%
Fish
8%

Total votes: 158

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been spending some time setting up project templates for my DAWs this week and it made me realize that I've collected far more drum VIs over the years than I would have guessed - 19 in all when I include the ones bundled with my DAWs. Of course, some of them were the entry-level versions that I upgraded to flagship versions (e.g., EZ Drummer to Superior Drummer, Eco to BFD2). Fortunately, there's only a handful of them that have never been used in a song, and most of those include things like Session Drummer or UltraBeat that came bundled with a DAW, not purchased separately. Still, seems like overkill - and that doesn't even begin to reflect the GBs of drum samples and expansion packs on my Samples HD! :help:

How about you guys/gals?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I used to own alot, but now I just own Tremor and BFD Eco.

im sure missing Geist and the D16 stuff.
:borg:

I put 1-Extreme drum synth, it would be none but that one blows me away. Otherwise I only use my homemade plugins, low cpu, remappable sequencers w/presets.

I use a sustain pedal and a Wiimote to silently play drums, any velocity is going to have to be faked this way.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I only use 3: Geist, Battery 3 and MicroTonic.
I'd rather invest in high quality samples (eg: Wave Alchemy) than buying yet another plugin.

edit: just bought Geist (which retired GURU)
Last edited by Ghostwave on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Interesting question! I answered 16 - 20, which includes plugins capable of only kick drums, or percussion type sounds (not strictly drums).

Hardware: 3 drum machines, 2 samplers. Analog Rytm is available soon, so that will go up to 4 drum machines but I might sell one of 'em.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Of course it depends very much on the musical style, but i find it very educating and fun to create drum sounds with normal "general use" synths, rather than with dedicated drum synths. I always found it pretty limiting to use plugins like Drumatic, because i never really got out of it what i wanted... very useful to have a drum sampler though for the created sounds of course, so you can layer and handle them better.

Geist and Steven Slate.

I own 3 drum vsti's ... Tattoo, Drumaxx and KickWOK. I also have Drum Racks in Live 9 which gets the most use. I do have CM versions of Geist and Guru, but never got into them (mainly because of Drum Racks). :)

eleventy twelve,
why do you ask, does it effect masculinity?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I'll count them later. Too many to be certain.
eleventy twelve,
why do you ask, does it effect masculinity?
No but it effects my feminine side.

Geist, BFD Eco, & the freeware Tromine 808/909 emus.

I own 5 but use 4.
Stylus RMX, Microtonic and Groove Agent SE4 are the three I use most. I sometimes use EZdrummer and Drumaxx I never use as it's still 32bit and seems dead in the water along with the rest of Maxx Clasters plugins.

:ud:
Last edited by BBFG# on Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

XLN is really good. So is Battery 4. I have not used Geist but I own it and BFD Eco.

I have all of the IL stuff and Groove Agent through Cubase 7.5. And tons of sample libraries...everything that came with Komplete Ultimate.

Then there is all the stuff I have with Reason....

Eish.

I never use BFDEco anymore as the interface I think is very clunky. I bought is as it was key to pair with the Digital Vault Zildjian cymbals that I found as a stupid deal of the day for like $20. Then found that my beloved Geist could see these samples. Between it and the hilarious uTonic, I have no further need for drum synths. Still have Drum Racks in LIVE9 that I really haven't explored . . .

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Return to “Instruments”