How many virtual drum instruments do you own?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

How many drum VIs do you own?

8%
10%
16%
9%
13%
6-10
18%
11-15
6%
16-20
5%
21-25
4%
26 - All of them
4%
Fish
8%

Total votes: 158

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ingonator wrote:I guess it depends on what you call a dedicated drum VI but i got e.g. Geist, D-16 Drumazon, Battery 3 (from Komplete 6) , Attack from Waldorf Edition and the content of Live 9 Suite.
Recently mostly using Geist and Drumazon.
While recently mostly having used Geist and Drumazon i am currently re-discovering Waldorf Attack.
Actually even if alraedy quite old (but already 64-bit) it is still quite cool.
Also nice to use it with multiple outputs to use different FXs for different instruments (e.g. Reverb for Snare, Compressor for Bass drum).

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I use only Geist. I have also some other stuff like Drumazon, Nepheton, Soniccharge Microtonic... but have not used them since a very long time.

I don't own any of them. Just renting.
[Insert Signature Here]

I own too many, but a few are my favorites: BFD 3, Geist, DrumSpillage, and MicroTonic. Also, EKS Pro, Bazzism, and SA Kick.

My favorite things about BFD and my collection of add-ons are the Yamaha Oak Custom kit, all the snares, and all the cymbals. Great stuff. Also, the sequencer is amazing once you get to know it a bit.

Geist is my go-to sample player. So much fun.

DrumSpillage and MT are so much fun for sound design. MT is fast and easy, and DS is so versatile—especially the new DS 2.

I think it's obvious I love kick synths. :-) EKS is my go-to but the other two are regularly used as well.

Honorable mention goes to Tremor. I love the sequencer, and I hope it gets midi drag and drop someday.

Also, I recently watched avid ep series on UltraBeat. I'll be getting more into it soon.

I watched a tutorial on using Massive to create a kick, and was amazed at my results. I need to practice getting all kinds of drums out of my synths. It'll be important if I ever attempt an OSC. I want to do the next open one; I hope it happens again.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Interesting question! I answered 16 - 20, which includes plugins capable of only kick drums, or percussion type sounds (not strictly drums).

Hardware: 3 drum machines, 2 samplers. Analog Rytm is available soon, so that will go up to 4 drum machines but I might sell one of 'em.

Peace,
Andy.
Andy, do you still have your Tempest? I don't ever see you on DSIforum any more (of course I don't hang out there as much as I use to).

I think the only dedicated virtual drums I have are EZdrummer which I haven't loaded up in ages and the all might Ableton Drum Racks which I use for everything. Drum Racks will host pretty much anything I would want to use as a source for drum sounds which, these days are either samples or something programmed in Zebra.... love being able to incorporate FX into my individual drum sounds as well.

I also have a Tempest drum machine (but generally choose Ableton first) and have been thinking pretty seriously about the Roland TR8 and a couple of DIY drum boxes (Yocto and LXR). I've also been entertaining the idea of an Arturia Beatstep to use with drum racks.

:ud:
Last edited by BBFG# on Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

addictive drums
superior 2
battery 4
all native instruments drummer things.
bfd with zildjian pack
drumazon

looking for nepheton!

There is no zero option. Also, define "own". Also "drum instrument". So fish.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Couldn't put 0 so opted for fish
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

GruvSyco wrote:Andy, do you still have your Tempest? I don't ever see you on DSIforum any more (of course I don't hang out there as much as I use to).
Yes I still have it, but probably not for much longer. It's been a frustrating ride. Updates have slowed to a trickle, a pretty negative experience overall IMO.

Anyway, now that the Analog Rytm specs are out, it looks like it will cover all of the Tempest features and then some :tu:
something programmed in Zebra.... love being able to incorporate FX into my individual drum sounds as well.
Zebra is great for drums. I spent some time comparing Zebra with the Vermona DRM Mk III. The results were very close, but I still find the Vermona useful so will keep that.
Roland TR8
I was skeptical about this (like everyone else who wanted analogue) but some of the recent comparison videos show a very capable and quite inspiring machine.

Still, I love the Elektron concept (and support is world class) so I'll stick with them for now.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

76% have between 6 and 10 drum instruments ! Wow

(Though reading -quickly- the thread, some ofthese are mainly drumkits alone, with no sequencer parts, or different acoustic drumkits wich belong to a mainframe)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

EnGee wrote:I have five. But my favourites are the Drum Racks in Live and Session Drummer 3. I don't feel I need another drums especially when I upgrade to Live Suite or/and Sonar Producer :-) Well, I might buy some kits for Session Drummer (they are very good and cheap) and I might buy some Rock midi grooves, although I have tons in Studio Drummer, but using the grooves which are done by professional drummers is like hiring one! 8)

When in Live, I use mainly Drum Racks and when I'm in Sonar I use mostly Session Drummer or SI Drum Kit, which I was surprised by how nice it is sounds! Sometimes I use SD3 and SI DK in Live as well.

For the 'polished' acoustic drums I use NI Studio Drummer but I'm not using it as much as the others.

The fifth is Groovy Agent SE One that comes with Cubase Elements. It has nice kits but I can't use it outside Cubase.
Damn! about one year after, everything has changed except GA SE in Cubase!! I still have five or more but mainly using Battery 4, AD 2 and Impact in Studio One. Sometimes I use Strike or Transfuser. I don't use Session Drummer as AD2 completely replaced it.

Oh! I forgot! I use Kong/ReDrum when in Reason :D

foosnark wrote:
dune_rave wrote:LinPlug RMV is cool
(I Don't need a sequencer inside the drum vsti - so Tremor, Microtoniq and many other are not my favorite)
I don't like it when plugins have internal sequencers either, usually. I still like MicroTonic for its sound, and clear patterns and trigger notes via MIDI as per usual.
this is exactly why i passed on RMV and STILL use RMIV.
Poise is my second drum unit of choice for its simple
no fuss gui and workflow. :borg:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Geist,Tremor, BFD Eco, Reaktor Drum ensembles, Waldorf Attack 2 (gonna sell this pretty soon)

I don't use Tremor or BFD Eco, Geist usually gets the most use but lately i've been considering selling geist and using bitwigs internal sampler.
:borg:

layzer wrote:
foosnark wrote:
dune_rave wrote:LinPlug RMV is cool
(I Don't need a sequencer inside the drum vsti - so Tremor, Microtoniq and many other are not my favorite)
I don't like it when plugins have internal sequencers either, usually. I still like MicroTonic for its sound, and clear patterns and trigger notes via MIDI as per usual.
this is exactly why i passed on RMV and STILL use RMIV.
Poise is my second drum unit of choice for its simple
no fuss gui and workflow. :borg:
Drum machines with sequencer on board or not : Both have their plus and cons, provided that the drum machine sequencer can do things that your DAW can't do. Or can do very easily things that your DAW will have very hard times to do. ( and this is very possible )

Then, patterns : There are at least two important things about patterns VS playing your drums with a sequencerless drum machine.

First, you can launch the drum machine then play at once a rythm/pattern/song, and begin at once to improvise with a bass, some keys, a pad, what you want. It's instantaneous This is to be compared to : launch a *drumkit*, THEN play the drums, then after more/less time, begin to play with it.

2nd : You get patterns made by other people. They can inspire you in a way a drumtrack played by you could never inspire you. Because its different, because it's the encounter of 2 universes. And more than that, you can modify/customize the pattern to suit your needs, wich is impossible with drumloops. ( But drumloops can be processed/produced in a way that drum machines can't usually match, adn slicers allow, within certain limits, to alterate and modify drumloops ) ( And this is a bit simmilar to the 'do you use synth presets' discussions we can see popping once a month on forums )

And finally, ususally when you get a drum machine with a sequencer, you're not obliged to use the sequencer, you can just use it as a drum module and play your tracks yourself. Or combine both methods. In other words, you could as well consider that you get the best of both worlds ... in a single machine.

Btw : Not saying here that playing drumtracks is better, or worse, than drum machines patterns.( This is often what I do myself ) Its just different.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Return to “Instruments”