What Synths will set you Free???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In my current understanding, knowledge, experience and liking i think having Diva, Zebra, Blue 2 and SynthMaster (i own them all) will Set you free to actually start making music and stop testing Demos and Presets on hundreds of VSTis. Of course you need Samplers, Drum Machines, FX and other things but Synth wise i think...wouldn't this 4 Machines cover everything? I think the problem with VSTs is that its easy to get them, cost cheap and you don't see them around your studio (i would actually love to see Diva thrown around here). What if one had those 4 Synths in Hardware version, would he be looking for more? I still think the best4 musical things to happen in my life is those 4 Synths. I can bring the SEM V close to them but not as close. Any thoughts? Its not a WHICH IS BETTER thing, just share your thoughts.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Probably all acoustic drums and pianos

Synth: Silenth1 and all Moogs, Mellotron and all the 70 Synth replica

anything with a saw.

gettit? eh? eh? gettit. 'saw'. you know, like, 'sawing' through something that might be stopping you from being free, like handcuffs or cell doors or something.

'saw'.

no? seriously?

fuggit then. assholes.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

only love will set you free.

vurt wrote:only love will set you free.
Nah, Love usually gets you stuck.

Hmmm, I suspect one would be better off with a 357 SIG Glock, a pair of H&K MP5, a SPAS-12, some C4, and prearranged helicopter pickup.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:Hmmm, I suspect one would be better off with a 357 SIG Glock, a pair of H&K MP5, a SPAS-12, some C4, and prearranged helicopter pickup.
http://imgur.com/L2ASIya

;)
... space is the place ...

Love usually gets you stuck... ITS SO TRUE!!! :tu:

Well, one man's freedom is another man's terror.

Or, to answer your thread in slightly less dramatic fashion, those 4 synths are very nice (as is XILS 3, which I'm playing right now), but they won't arrange themselves.
As for the hardware question, well nothing can do an Elka Synthex satisfactorily for me yet (and I have XILS Synthix).

The Elka Synthex, ah...what i loved was how you can use the Portamento Speed to Modulate things such as the Pitch...the famous Laser Harp.

lush-101 sets me free. I like to make organ sounds and pretend i'm playing a Hammond sometimes, with sunglasses on, and look into the mirror.

BasariStudios wrote:
That's not love, it's desire. Big difference.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

BasariStudios wrote:In my current understanding, knowledge, experience and liking i think having Diva, Zebra, Blue 2 and SynthMaster (i own them all) will Set you free to actually start making music and stop testing Demos and Presets on hundreds of VSTis.
I spend 42.5 hours per week at work, roughly 5 hours commuting and getting ready for work, 40 hours a week sleeping, 8 hours or so going out to dinner or shopping with my wife, about 20 hours playing video games and 8 hours reading books.

None of those things stops me from making music, so why should the 1-2 hours I might spend in an average week trying demos of synths and effects stop me?

Freedom is an illusion. So is lack of freedom.

The four synths you mentioned hold zero interest for me. VAs are merely one kind of synthesis among many. What about additive, wavetable, physical modeling, FM, phase distortion, granular, spectral stuff? What about alternate interfaces and quirky little one-offs?

Sendy wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:
That's not love, it's desire. Big difference.
or bondage.

I currently use mostly Phonec, Ultra-Analog v2, Charlatan and Oatmeal.

But that gets rotated around to other stuff every now and then. Oatmeal has been in and out of favour over the years, but it's what I learned most from so I keep going back to it. Charlatan is nice and simple and quick to get a basic sound down, but that's a fairly new colour in my palette. Phonec for more unusual and gritty/dirty/wonky sounds - I can muck about for hours with it and not get bored. Ultra-Analog mostly for pads and floaty/airy stuff atm, but it's a good bread&butter synth imo.

If I HAD to limit myself to them though, I'd cry a salty tear or two.

Bought dubtron2 when it came out and haven't yet plumbed its depths, so there's a good chance that'll creep into my goto list. Not sure I'll be willing to sacrifice anything else to make way for it, so it'll be an addition.

I would also miss the granular things I used from time to time, and various Hollow Sun-y type radiophonic noise generators and the like.

So no - the broader the options the better for me, even though I think it's worthwhile stripping back sometimes
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Return to “Instruments”