absolute softest and warmest synth in existence?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://dmitrysches.com/diversion

*edit* while you are there, you should check out his patch bank for zebra as well. It's what lead me to his synth.
Last edited by GruvSyco on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

synthmaster is versatile enough to fit anyones definition of these adjectives and if you want free synths that do the job I would recommend PG8X, Soha Sonata lots of glass in that as well as warmth, synth 1, Dune BE the zimmerman patch, layering multiple synths is a cool way to go. Charlatan, voyager, oatmeal, tal uno and noisemaker, alchemy CM, tyrell, zebralette, poly2106, prodigious, SQ8L, proteus vx, OBXD, sforzando with some orchestral samples from sonatina symphony orchestra, firebird, rapture is free in an issue of computer music has to be mentioned though I forget its free to you guys now since I got it in sonar. Z3ta with the muzeum patches is cool as well and it was free. Add in choir layers and fade them in and out. DSK has some interesting choir and string sounds as does krakli and HG Fortune. The sample tank fank free and NI kontakt player.

Diva. Dual supersaws. Keen lowpass filtering. A touch of noise modulation and randomization. Pad envelope. Highpass out some of the bass buildup and play. -=WARM=-

Now add slight saturation, chorus, reverb, and whatever else.

Korg's Polysix is also great for warm sounds, as are the TAL paywares.

Re: Zebra. It can definitely do warm, and the filters? I'd never have guessed they come from 2003, and aren't there some newer lowpasses added more recently, from the Tyrell period?

The thing with Zebra is that as it starts up, it's basically an arbitrary function generator with a very linear sound. You can take Zebra anywhere but it requires knowledge, and you really never stop learning with Zebra, which can make it a bit of a time sink sometimes. I personally enjoy that and find it inspiring, but I can see why some wouldn't get on with it.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

BassLine-101 is awesome. Pretty much everything out of it is warm sounding.
You are currently reading my signature.

AstralExistence wrote:
mysticvibes wrote:softest, some patches in predator, warmest adventus or tforce alpha plus

seriously? predator is warm?
It can be, yep.
[Insert Signature Here]

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
mcnoone wrote:I think all synths are capable of a warm sound here, and a cold sound there, and many other kinds of tones
i guess, for me (and in the most basic of senses), any sound becomes warm with the right amount of low-pass

best example that comes to mind is pretty much anything off of 'boards of canada - music has the right to children'.. that album warms me up better than any open fire or chicken soup ever could
But see, that's just the thing... this is all so subjective.

For me, Music Has the Right to Children was anything but "warm". I think of it as desolate, melancholy, cold Autumn winds, a barren plain, nostalgic in a sorrowfully, achingly longing sort of way.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Sendy wrote:Diva. Dual supersaws. Keen lowpass filtering. A touch of noise modulation and randomization. Pad envelope. Highpass out some of the bass buildup and play. -=WARM=-

Now add slight saturation, chorus, reverb, and whatever else.

Korg's Polysix is also great for warm sounds, as are the TAL paywares.

Re: Zebra. It can definitely do warm, and the filters? I'd never have guessed they come from 2003, and aren't there some newer lowpasses added more recently, from the Tyrell period?

The thing with Zebra is that as it starts up, it's basically an arbitrary function generator with a very linear sound. You can take Zebra anywhere but it requires knowledge, and you really never stop learning with Zebra, which can make it a bit of a time sink sometimes. I personally enjoy that and find it inspiring, but I can see why some wouldn't get on with it.
The difference here is that Diva, or any classic analog polysynth, can't help but sound lush and, okay, warm, the instant you turn it on. Zebra, on the other hand, comes up sounding like the most static, flat, thin DCO ever made. I immediately start modulating all sorts of stuff to compensate, and the end result is that Zebra has become my choice for "spectral smearing" kinds of sounds with a lot of morphing timbral motion. Of course it can also sound like a lush analog polysynth if sufficiently persuaded, but I never seem to take it in that direction.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Somewhat agreed. I tend to use Zebra for digital "scientific" post-chiptune wavetable shenanigans.

The intro synth in this is a classic example:

https://soundcloud.com/sendy/taxicab-ge ... 5-finished

Note that because it's a pure waveshape, Soundcloud royally messes up the sound. Even worse is it morphs through a saw shape, and Soundcloud seems to really hate raw sawtooths :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Move your Zebra up to HZ. You'll get the much of the 'Diva warmth' then.

guess why people invent those saturation / tape emu / console plugins?
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

AstralExistence wrote:i now realize what kind of synth i want. what kind of synth makes the kind of sounds that would fit this criteria. i admit i have zebra but its just not as crystal/glass sounding as im looking for. can be any synth analog, digital, fm etc. etc. im looking for beyond beautiful. distortion/noise is not what i consider beautiful.
Glassy and crystal imply the opposite of warm in my opinion...

fluffy_little_something wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:i now realize what kind of synth i want. what kind of synth makes the kind of sounds that would fit this criteria. i admit i have zebra but its just not as crystal/glass sounding as im looking for. can be any synth analog, digital, fm etc. etc. im looking for beyond beautiful. distortion/noise is not what i consider beautiful.
Glassy and crystal imply the opposite of warm in my opinion...

+1 in mine too.
As polarizing as 'absolute... in existence'.

Sounds odd to me that the OP wants softest/warmest and crystal glass. Just shows terms of description are so subjective.

soft and warm - warm definitely means analogue to me. Soft means no distorted screaming filters and sloppy slow envelopes. Which points to things like Oberheim to me. OBXa or somesuch. Or even a Jupiter6 without using any cross mod.

Crystal/glass most definitely indicates extreme clean digital to me. Which is the complete opposite of soft and warm. :?: :?

Wavestations do superb crystal glassy sounds. And you can get that in VSTi or h/w. Program lots of long meandering wavesequences with all those slightly dissonant prophet VS waves and some of the real world samples like the pots/pans/jars etc, then just add a little light reverb and subtle delay. All the tinkling you'll ever need... :tu:

Oh, and strange though it sounds, Oscars do some superb glassy sounds, but you have to leave the main DCOs alone, turn the filter overdrive off, and go for the additive oscillators. Then use the looping envelopes and LFOs to modulate into some quite delicate tinkly clean stuff that's very reminiscent of Wavestations...

...and then turn filter drive to max, res to max and make it scream like a tinkly bastard. :hihi:

If you want the softest warmest synth that just oozes... get Diva
and especially the Uhbie filter is so soft and beautiful. Nothing else is quite like it so easily.

If you want crystal glass, then you already have Zebra which is excellent for that.

Return to “Instruments”