absolute softest and warmest synth in existence?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Numanoid wrote:Fanbois :roll:

Do you need to dig up this 1 month old thread, to continue arguing "my one is bigger than yours" :x :x :x
But what if your one really is the biggest, and you know for a fact that PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET ARE WRONG? What then?! Surely we all agree that ethics compells them to post.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Numanoid wrote:Fanbois :roll:

Do you need to dig up this 1 month old thread, to continue arguing "my one is bigger than yours" :x :x :x
No no, it is absolutely not to say "mine is better than yours (or whoever)" it is simply because it is a subject far more interesting than it seems at the first approach. And continue a bit to discuss together about these things is not uninteresting at all. It is an occasion to evoke synths which have special qualities in that particular direction which is totally different than the most common nowaday, the trance/dance EDM music. Here the discussion is about "What could be excellent (and probably cheap) to make "astral" music (have you seen his nickname ?) with synths not necessarily complex since it is a kind of music which have relatively simple structures (and I must confess that it is my prefered music since my birth, perhaps due to my buddhist chinese origins).

It is a discussion far more interesting than what you think, because it is a kind of music which is not common at all here at KVR, at the exact opposite of EDM music.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

For warm, drowsy, detuned sounds, Dune 2 is totally killing it for me.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Ingonator wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Ingonator wrote: The warmest synth i ever experienced was maybe a real Jupiter 8.
I really do realize that people have quite a contrary perception of what is warm and what not. :) I read more than once that the Jupiter is considered to be on the colder side of analog. But then, no idea, because i never played one, but it's funny how different the opinions are. Warm for me is a nice bottom end supersaw pad, low pass filtered with some resonance. The kind of thing which gets you a warm feeling in the stomach. :) No idea if that's the general definition of warmness though.
I agree with that notion. The Jupiter 8 does not exactly stand for warmth, it had a more edgy European-Japanese sound. It sounded very good and interesting, though.
The pad sound in this is what by my own definition could be called "warm" and "soft":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8mai17neXc

As already mentioned it is also a matter of how you program and/or use the synth.

Ingo
see the alpha juno2 on the top?? i bet the jupiter 8 is only being used as a controller and all that warmth is coming from the juno :lol:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Sendy wrote:For warm, drowsy, detuned sounds, Dune 2 is totally killing it for me.
Yes. I agree, Dune is excellent for these sounds. The reason why I have prefered to place FM8 higher in my answer is that Dune has a mountain of features for the purpose of rhythms and complex envelopes (it is a quality, of course) but which are probably totally useless for him, with the inconvenient that it will make this synth used at only less than 50% of its abilities.

FM8 is far more simple for the parts managing the evolution of the sound in the time (it has multi segment envelopes of course, but with a more simple and more direct way to tweak them) and it is totally thought in priority for the sound, the timbre itself. Normal... since it is a synth which has been totally specialized in FM sounds. And by the way you can see a fundamental difference in the factory patches : many arp patches (very good of course I agree) in Dune... and far less in FM8, and at the opposite a huge mountain of cristalline and pads sounds in FM8 and a choice significantly reduced in Dune (compared to FM8).

And another argument, directly related to his question of newbye (he said "i now realize what kind of synth i want") on that particular aspect (he is probably not a newbye in other aspects of course): there are on the market less, less, less patches for Dune than for FM8, especially for timbres, pads and cristalline sounds (and at the opposite there are on the same market far more patches of arps for Dune than for FM8).

Dune is capable of these things with excellent quality, yes. But my opinion is that it is too generalist for what wanted our friend in his question.

All that is why I place FM8 higher than Dune for his question.
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Sendy wrote:For warm, drowsy, detuned sounds, Dune 2 is totally killing it for me.
It has a lovely tone...

For an endless array of clear crystalline bells, I think Zebra is unmatched...

Some of you might find this helpful. It can be used to measure the analog girth of your favorite synthesizer.

It seems digit(al) has already tampered with that measure too, carving out some of the analog warmth. While it might look more clear at the outset, it doesn't even measure as exact as the rest. You sure that is the best measure for the job?

I find a lo-pass filter around 100hz and a volume filter at -90db make anything pretty warm and soft

BlackWinny wrote:No no, it is absolutely not to say "mine is better than yours (or whoever)" it is simply because it is a subject far more interesting than it seems at the first approach.
Yeah, you're right

I am grumpy like this fella you know ;)

The warmest synth in existence probably would be a tube based one.

It can also be described as too warm in some way, possibly bordering on noisy.
:borg:

Numanoid wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:No no, it is absolutely not to say "mine is better than yours (or whoever)" it is simply because it is a subject far more interesting than it seems at the first approach.
Yeah, you're right

I am grumpy like this fella you know ;)

ImageImageImageImageImage

V0RT3X wrote:The warmest synth in existence probably would be a tube based one.
Or a musical saw based...

But there is already the Theremin in many VST versions...
:D

This thread has set me back 20 years in my music career. :(

Return to “Instruments”