absolute softest and warmest synth in existence?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BDeep wrote:Just read the first post a bit more carefully: "crystal/glass sounding as im looking for." For that, I just might turn to Diversion.

What exactly does "crystal/glass sounding" mean? More importantly, how does that translate to technical qualities of a synth?

ghettosynth wrote:
BDeep wrote:Just read the first post a bit more carefully: "crystal/glass sounding as im looking for." For that, I just might turn to Diversion.

What exactly does "crystal/glass sounding" mean? More importantly, how does that translate to technical qualities of a synth?
I always think DX7 when i hear that description. Its not limited to those noises of course, but hey...

Kriminal wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

I always think DX7 when i hear that description. Its not limited to those noises of course, but hey...
Sure, but that's not exactly analog. Perhaps the synths that were designed in the same time frame such as the aforementioned MKS-70 which has features specifically designed to try to compete in the time. I have a print ad on mw website (for the JX-10) that talks about some of those features:

"combine percussive clear digital sounds with ..."

Some of those features are common to several Roland synths of the time, but, that's not "warm" analog. In fact, that's why JX10s and JX8s aren't that expensive, the weak filters.

But, if that's what you want, just get FM8.

ghettosynth wrote:

Quite frankly, I don't know. Descriptions of sound are almost always lacking. Still, it is what the OP wrote in his post, and this is what came to mind.
To me, softest and warmest contradict with crystal/galssy. But it's all highly subjective.

Sorry, i didnt read the thread, just the post i replied to :oops:

ghettosynth wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

Sure, but that's not exactly analog. Perhaps the synths that were designed in the same time frame such as the aforementioned MKS-70 which has features specifically designed to try to compete in the time. I have a print ad on mw website (for the JX-10) that talks about some of those features:

"combine percussive clear digital sounds with ..."

Some of those features are common to several Roland synths of the time, but, that's not "warm" analog. In fact, that's why JX10s and JX8s aren't that expensive, the weak filters.

But, if that's what you want, just get FM8.
I agree with all of your synth recommendations. I guess when I think "warm", I think a little more high end in the filtered resonance, like Oberheim synth brass, or the Jupiter 6 and 8. The weaker filters on the MKS-70 and JX are what give it that ultra-smooth pad sound, with less high end (IMHO, of course).

I also associate "glass" and "crystal" with the DX-7. Probably because of the sound you get running your finger around the rim of a wine glass, which is closer to the pure sine waves of the DX. And then there's that damn Rhodes patch...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

The KVR community should make and agree on a universal list of sound description for everyone to use.
Just like there is in wine tasting etc.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

BDeep wrote: To me, softest and warmest contradict with crystal/galssy
yup !!

But it doesn't really matter what warm or analog means, as all synths ever made will end up in this thread anyway.

I think all synths are capable of a warm sound here, and a cold sound there, and many other kinds of tones.
It all depends on the skill of the one creating those sounds.
Using effects also can enhance or detract from this.
Even the style of playing can effect this.
That said.
I believe U-he Diva is the best one I've heard for easily creating warm sounds.
I would add the Korg Monopoly more easily makes great warm sounds as well.

It should be done by the OP to post some sound examples of what they are looking for, as opposed to word description.
I've heard some great sounds in Zebra that do sound very warm.
Though it might be possible the OP is just looking to rank on a specific synth here, and has no other reason for posting this. Not certain, but always a possibility.
Last edited by mcnoone on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sampleconstruct wrote:But it doesn't really matter what warm or analog means, as all synths ever made will end up in this thread anyway.
yup !! :tu:

mcnoone wrote:I think all synths are capable of a warm sound here, and a cold sound there, and many other kinds of tones
i guess, for me (and in the most basic of senses), any sound becomes warm with the right amount of low-pass

best example that comes to mind is pretty much anything off of 'boards of canada - music has the right to children'.. that album warms me up better than any open fire or chicken soup ever could

I've been trying to come up with a suggestion but I consider "crystal" and "glass" to be "cold" sounds (for lack of a better word). I think most people consider "warm" to be associated with a full harmonic sound, filtered (saw through SEM, etc.). Still, a lot of that warmth ends up coming from what sits between the synth and the monitors.

To that end "warm" and "glassy" would be an FM synth processed with a high-quality tape sim (Satin, etc.), and/or some gentle tube saturation.

AstralExistence wrote:
chk071 wrote:Give Waldorf Largo a go. You can demo it for 30 days without limitations, only have to install the eLicenser software. Sounds soft and warm to my ears, at least for the VA part. :)

this is out now. no x64.
If you want to give it some time, 64-bit versions of the Waldorf plugins are announced to be released this summer i think. But doesn't your host have a bridge?

AstralExistence wrote: urs i understand because its just him and howard but he has so many products its going to take forever to get to zebra 3.
Why do y'all keep feeding this illiterate kid troll?

Sascha and Bastian don't count in U-He, do they?

Sheesh.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Return to “Instruments”