absolute softest and warmest synth in existence?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deastman wrote:For me, Music Has the Right to Children was anything but "warm". I think of it as desolate, melancholy, cold Autumn winds, a barren plain, nostalgic in a sorrowfully, achingly longing sort of way.
That's exactly the way that (masterpiece of an...) album sounds to me. 'Warm' makes me think of things like D Train 'You're The One For Me', Surface 'Falling In Love' and countless other tracks from that time when analogue synths started to become common in disco. Probably my favourite era of mixing/production - everything had dynamics, weight, space, depth... oh, and warmth by the bucketload (stuff for another thread really...).
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I think the best bet to get the super softest synth sound is to use Diva and then run it through Satin. I can't imagine anything being more "smooth" than that lol
:borg:

BBFG# wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:i now realize what kind of synth i want. what kind of synth makes the kind of sounds that would fit this criteria. i admit i have zebra but its just not as crystal/glass sounding as im looking for. can be any synth analog, digital, fm etc. etc. im looking for beyond beautiful. distortion/noise is not what i consider beautiful.
Glassy and crystal imply the opposite of warm in my opinion...

+1 in mine too.
As polarizing as 'absolute... in existence'.

when i say warm, i mean like very soft and non aggressive sounding. the kind of sounds that you would hear in a score from the 80s or in ambient/new age music. when i say crystal, i mean like flawless as in a diamond but i used the term crystal, because when something is very clear its crystal clear, not diamond clear. i don't mean crystal as in glass/digital sounding. if thats what i was looking for that would be zebra since its very glassy sounding like a wavestation or korg synth.

AstralExistence wrote:i now realize what kind of synth i want. what kind of synth makes the kind of sounds that would fit this criteria. i admit i have zebra but its just not as crystal/glass sounding as im looking for. can be any synth analog, digital, fm etc. etc. im looking for beyond beautiful. distortion/noise is not what i consider beautiful.
I would include DominatorCM, coded by Annti. One of the greatest
of unheralded, under the radar instruments.
Cheers

glokraw wrote:
Cheers
Or even Augur (another one Annti coded) - can produce very warm, yet glassy pads (It was an emulation of the Prophet VS - a very beautiful sounding synth). If you do give it a try make sure you download the 'Ann' patches to hear what it's capable of.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

glokraw wrote:
Cheers
+1
[Insert Signature Here]

Ya know, I bet this discussion would get somewhere a whole lot faster if we actually posted demos of the synths/sounds in question. Just saying...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:Ya know, I bet this discussion would get somewhere a whole lot faster if we actually posted demos of the synths/sounds in question. Just saying...
i did but nobody replied. i wrote back on page 2:

heres an example. i should state how i made it so you know what its doing. its all made from init, obxd, valhalla vintage, tal chorus, blue cat chorus, the new vos eq, and ferox. so you can see what i mean when i say warm .to me this is very warm sounding. i would have more but im still looking for that synth that will give me the sound im after. i just got my new very fast pc so i dont have much gear right now due to my old pc not being able to run todays vst/i

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t6k23a

PolyKB
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

I don't really understand the point of the Topic but most Synths can do what we want if we know how to do it...now, is there anything wrong with the Example i posted below?

http://www73.zippyshare.com/v/25530374/file.html
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

BasariStudios wrote:I don't really understand the point of the Topic but most Synths can do what we want if we know how to do it...now, is there anything wrong with the Example i posted below?

http://www73.zippyshare.com/v/25530374/file.html
that's warm i would say. but, there's just a bit of digitalness to it on the lower registered sounds and a bit of noise in the modulation. imo. its warm yes, but it sounds just a 'bit' digital. still a pretty pad though. what synth is that?

do you think that this sounds warm?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t6k23a

It's really difficult to assign words to sound in a universal way because it's so subjective, but when people use the term "warm" to describe synthesizers this is the kind of timbre that first comes to mind:
Soft Pad

Could this be considered warm?
Last edited by Tronam on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

BasariStudios wrote:I don't really understand the point of the Topic
It's the recurring theme of "tell me what to buy" which becomes a list of every softsynth known to man.
but most Synths can do what we want if we know how to do it
I don't think that's exactly right. Most synths can create a variety of sounds, some synths do a better job than others, in general, but almost always for particular kinds of sounds. It's hard to get a JP8 to sound like a microwave and vice versa. Among analog hardware and their software counterparts, it often comes down to implementation of filter quality. That said, your point is well taken, the OP should post an example of the patch that he thinks Zebra can't do, and his best attempt for mimicking it, with the patch. That way people can perhaps hone in on what he's going on about.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Language has a problem with describing sound as it's a very intimate and personal experience (which is, of course, why we are attracted to it so much), but I think words like "warm" and "glassy" are pretty easy to define and have a consensus on.

Warmth denotes a lack of harshness, no harsh transients, and not a lot of high end. If there is high end, it's very measured (think of the profile of brown(ian) noise). If there are transients (in the case of, say, a warm drum loop) they are somewhat blurred and smooth, like hot tape.

Similarly glassy brings to mind certain spectra, with a clear but not harsh high end consisting of unusually wide spacing between partials or partial clusters. In FM these sounds can be made with high C:M ratios, whilst middling ratios give the sound of wood, and inbetween the two is ceramic. Glassy also suggests a medium attack and release, like a wine glass.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

AstralExistence wrote:who knows why the camel audio guys are taking so long with alchemy though.
Because Ben does things properly. As does Urs.
urs i understand because its just him and howard
That's funny, Urs seems to think there are a few more people than that.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Instruments”