omnisphere! criky damn this synth is just no words awesome.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1

BBFG# wrote:Not sure if it's over-rated, but it's definitely over-priced.
In the sense that Omnisphere could easily be someone's only synth, some might consider it a bargain. I know that's the standard argument but it's much truer in Omnisphere's case than most. Also, imagine how many millions of dollars Spectrasonics has helped make for all the film composers of the world, it seems like a suitable price if that's their target audience.

Uncle E wrote:
In the sense that Omnisphere could easily be someone's only synth, some might consider it a bargain. I know that's the standard argument but it's much truer in Omnisphere's case than most. Also, imagine how many millions of dollars Spectrasonics has helped make for all the film composers of the world, it seems like a suitable price if that's their target audience.
I completely agree. It's not at all overpriced if your "use case" values the kinds of sounds that Omnisphere does well. In fact, I will go further, it's a bargain. I mean it. It's too cheap, it should be twice the price because Eric Persing is that good. If you need those kinds of sounds, and, you can't create them yourself, you should buy Omnisphere.

"the only time i ever heard such pristine quality was when i bought a yamaha cs2x my first and only hardware synth which i only kept for 3 days before returning to software.
you bought a software synth in an external case. and if that was the only time you ever heard prestine quality, you've likely never heard a real hardware analog synth :roll:
Last edited by layzer on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Uncle E wrote:
And coming from a sales position as you do, the argument you make is not only standard, but expected.

However, it still doesn't change the fact that if it was as good as it says (and I do believe it may be), then the best argument is to show and tell how its workings come into play and how it applies, rather than continue a ploy to close as many as possible on it. An emotional buy by that alone is irrational. Unfortunately, those that own it and sell it often rely on that as the only sale point along with the 'higher authority play' which is the belief that if celebrity x uses it, so should you. (Not to mentioned the veiled intimidation tactics.)

And so, every Omni thread are commercials from the bubble and rarely anything else. Slowly, the tactic is working less and less and transparency in being able to test it first is the idea that is taking over.

And it is still far over its real FMV and policy of making it NFR after one re-sale.

The fact is, the standard arguments are not arguments and say nothing overall except there's a reason to hide behind those standard arguments that needs to be questioned until answered.

BBFG# wrote:And coming from a sales position as you do, the argument you make is not only standard, but expected.
Bravo for invalidating and dismissing me so adeptly in 19 little words. I also come from the position of a college teacher with over a decade of experience with students who were more interested in composing than programming sounds.
However, it still doesn't change the fact that if it was as good as it says (and I do believe it may be), then the best argument is to show and tell how its workings come into play and how it applies, rather than continue a ploy to close as many as possible on it.
It's a sample-based instruments that augments the samples with synthesis and exceptionally high level programming. Persing did this for years with Roland, those early JD and JV synths sounded pretty amazing despite having ridiculously tiny sample roms, and that was almost solely due to the synthesis those instruments were capable of and programming that went into their patches. He applied that same practice to Omnisphere. Is this what you're asking about?
The fact is, the standard arguments are not arguments and say nothing overall except there's a reason to hide behind those standard arguments that needs to be questioned until answered.
Brilliant.

ghettosynth wrote:
Uncle E wrote:
I completely agree. It's not at all overpriced if your "use case" values the kinds of sounds that Omnisphere does well. In fact, I will go further, it's a bargain. I mean it. It's too cheap, it should be twice the price because Eric Persing is that good. If you need those kinds of sounds, and, you can't create them yourself, you should buy Omnisphere.
Thanks to you for just taking the effort to be fair. Methinks I gonna have to pm you about something I do disagree about (even though I know you're technically right) because I really do have a problem with sweet threads being derailed as some are wont to do.

Uncle E wrote:
BBFG# wrote:And coming from a sales position as you do, the argument you make is not only standard, but expected.
Bravo for invalidating and dismissing me so adeptly in 19 little words. I also come from the position of a college teacher with over a decade of experience with students who were more interested in composing than programming sounds.
However, it still doesn't change the fact that if it was as good as it says (and I do believe it may be), then the best argument is to show and tell how its workings come into play and how it applies, rather than continue a ploy to close as many as possible on it.
It's a sample-based instruments that augments the samples with synthesis and exceptionally high level programming. Persing did this for years with Roland, those early JD and JV synths sounded pretty amazing despite having ridiculously tiny sample roms, and that was almost solely due to the synthesis those instruments were capable of and programming that went into their patches. He applied that same practice to Omnisphere. Is this what you're asking about?
Brilliant.
Uncle E thank you for being a human being. This dumb*ss who's not really a troll except in Spectrasonics threads really wants to have a fight. I have time for it, and I have a mini-mission in life now to make sure this guy never owns Trilian.

I'm down, and back in a few...

'Dismissal' is the tactic first used in the threads by the 'Sphere-Heads'. Seems the only language to meet them on their terms.
And still the simple solution is to stop addressing everything this way and get to the real work of showing off the synth instead repeating the litanies to keep from doing that.

Regardless, it still has an irrelevant FMV within the current market environment.
I have nothing against you and think you are a great member here.Regardless of what else you are, JRR/UE, you are here as a rep for your store first and foremost and therefore that intention must be kept in mind, especially if you are a dealer for them.
An unfortunate fact of position.

People use to ask us what the best was on the market, the truth is the answer given has more to do with stock on hand and qualifying the customer toward an easy close.
Another hard fact of sales.

Not to worry, I see it spiraling back into its comfort circle. So since nothing's new, I'll wait to see if the next thread addresses the synth as a synth and not an emotional surrogate.
Enjoy.

Uncle E wrote: It's a sample-based instruments that augments the samples with synthesis and exceptionally high level programming. Persing did this for years with Roland, those early JD and JV synths sounded pretty amazing despite having ridiculously tiny sample roms, and that was almost solely due to the synthesis those instruments were capable of and programming that went into their patches. He applied that same practice to Omnisphere. Is this what you're asking about?
While I can't speak for him, I don't think that's what he's asking about. I think that it's well known that Eric Persing was a driving force behind the contemporary Roland sound. As I said, if you really value his programming skills and you think that, as a musician, the sound and playability of the Omnisphere patches have value to you, then Omnisphere is a good choice.

But what if you don't? What if you think some of the sounds are good, but many, or even most, are just not to your taste? Then you're left asking about the engine itself and whether or not you can get the sounds out of it that you want to get. That is, you want to know how specific features in Omnisphere help the user get the sounds that he wants. Further, you want to know how Omnisphere can help you get those sounds more easily than the synths that you already have, perhaps Kontakt, as just one example.

Memory is no longer expensive. We can include gigabytes of samples in Kontakt libraries but that doesn't mean that we will get better sounds, per se. We have to ask what features of the synth stand out in some way. With respect to the technology, one thing that matters is how playable the sounds are and how the features of the synth in question map that playability to the underlying technology. Another thing that matters is how good the individual components sound. As an example, the Matrix 6 is a powerful synthesizer from a flexibility point of view, but it's core components are somewhat weak.

Omnisphere owners often rave about the vast number of patches, but if you aren't interested in the majority of those, then you want to know, independent of the patches, why the price is justified? In other words, it must have some features that products like Kontakt doesn't have, or it must implement some features really well. If you can't describe such features well, you're not going to reach that customer.

Last edited by BBFG# on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

layzer wrote:
"the only time i ever heard such pristine quality was when i bought a yamaha cs2x my first and only hardware synth which i only kept for 3 days before returning to software.
you bought a software synth in an external case. and if that was the only time you ever heard prestine quality, you've likely never heard a real hardware analog synth :roll:
Say it isn't so?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKvUuSxUjkg

BBFG# wrote:Not to worry, I see it spiraling back into its comfort circle. So since nothing's new, I'll wait to see if the next thread addresses the synth as a synth and not an emotional surrogate.
Enjoy.
I have no doubt you know what a synth is or an emotion is, but I'm quite convinced you know what a surrogate is.

ghettosynth wrote:
layzer wrote:
Say it isn't so?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKvUuSxUjkg
Great! And I wish you could give us all 10 analog synths because that and with a $5000,00 sampler we're all in business in 1986. Misspelling "pristine" is a hellova Freudian slip in this post.

i recently bit the bullet and purchased omni...WOW,great diverse synth,tons of sounds,effects,fast workflow condsidering it complexity

tbh i wish i had just got omnisphere back in 2008 on release and just stuck with it instead of buying and selling loads of synths in the last 6 years here at kvr

in a nutshell omnisphere along with diva are unbeatable
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

Return to “Instruments”