software VA synthesizers make me wish i had analog hardware.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

V0RT3X wrote:Don't get me wrong, i love the immediacy and flexibility of a good VA synth but I keep thinking we still aren't there as far as replacing a real analog goes.
Get your self a better machine. Amigas are nice for a while, but you are well overdue to upgrade to a better computer now.

damoog wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: I've used my MS20 twice (at a stretch) in the last year.
not having a dig really but i would sell your MS20 if you only used it twice AT A PUSH!!! :o

its a great sounding analog
Hey, I never owned a MS20, that wasn't me...

Not this old chestnut again... :x
Come on guys is there really anything new to be said on this subject?
What about the really hot topic du jour: :hyper:
PC vs Mac vs Haddock?

Sampleconstruct wrote:
damoog wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: I've used my MS20 twice (at a stretch) in the last year.
not having a dig really but i would sell your MS20 if you only used it twice AT A PUSH!!! :o

its a great sounding analog
Hey, I never owned a MS20, that wasn't me...
Wrong quote; sorry :oops:
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

I haven't even switched on my MS20 in several years. Not for sale though!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:I haven't even switched on my MS20 in several years. Not for sale though!
you do know that ive you dont switch an MS20 on after approx 4 years then it wont work

im just kidding before you try :hihi:

Best of both worlds is the way to go.

For me.

So yeah, hw + sf here :shrug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

mikusan wrote:Not this old chestnut again... :x
PC vs Mac vs Haddock?
Absolutely there's more to discuss. The OP is saying that software makes him want hardware. It's a valid observation which could be as much about workflow as sound. There's a lot of new "little" analogue synths these days, I think that it keeps getting more and more interesting. It's only a silly debate if the best that you can do to add to the discussion is point out that it's a silly debate.

damoog wrote:
deastman wrote:I haven't even switched on my MS20 in several years. Not for sale though!
you do know that ive you dont switch an MS20 on after approx 4 years then it wont work.

im just kidding before you try :hihi:
I just put my MKS-30 back together, it has the dead voice syndrome. Anything with that damn module it's not about if, but when it will develop the problem.

One thing I can say for sure about owning hardware: it makes you want more expensive hardware than what you have now.

Start looking up Serge Panels, for instance. Or Eventide effects units. Trawling Gearslutz Classified for a good deal on a a couple Distressors. Of course 2 are required because they're mono, and it would be terrible to be without the Brit mod / stereo linked / matched pair. How about a UBK Fatso? And ...

It never ends. Well, until you realise that what you have is just fine, including the software ;)

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:One thing I can say for sure about owning hardware: it makes you want more expensive hardware than what you have now.

Start looking up Serge Panels, for instance. Or Eventide effects units. Trawling Gearslutz Classified for a good deal on a a couple Distressors. Of course 2 are required because they're mono, and it would be terrible to be without the Brit mod / stereo linked / matched pair. How about a UBK Fatso? And ...

It never ends. Well, until you realise that what you have is just fine, including the software ;)

Peace,
Andy.
Yes, and that's just the start of it, right? The thing with software is that if you like a particular unit, you can have as many as you want. Try putting compression on each channel in the old days. I still own three or four shitty rack mount compressors. But, that's not the half of it. If you own a bunch of rack mount processors, and they're all different, and they will be all different, you have to have a patch bay so that you can put the unit you want on the insert that you want.

And, if you've never done this before, no, one patch bay is not enough. As soon as you start getting patch bays, now you're getting a second mortgage just for the cables. Growth doesn't just mean more, it's constantly looking for a good deal on a mixer with more inputs, more sends, better EQ, than the one you have. God forbid if you did this before hard disk recording. Every new project was, at minimum, several new DATs and if there were any acoustic parts that were too big for the sampler, mulittrack reel to reel tape as well, and the good stuff isn't cheap.

Buy a new synth? Well, you have to get that guy into the workflow. That's one or two audio cables to get to the patch bay, a midi cable to get to the midi router, a stand or tier on your existing stand, and wouldn't you know it, you never have enough power strips.

Holy shit, then you get too many power strips and you realize that you hadn't thought about ground loops before and you have to tear the whole thing down and rewire all of the power.

Shit, I spent more on the midi editor, so that I didn't have to program rack mount synths on my knees, than I spend on most plugins today.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:One thing I can say for sure about owning hardware: it makes you want more expensive hardware than what you have now.

Peace,
Andy.
totally true and definetly worth mentioning here because you can spend ALOT of money on hardware and it gets addictive...sure analog sounds great BUT you cant really tell on record...i got a reasonably expensive prophet 08 last year and within 2 months after getting it i was already looking at moog voyagers and old 70's analogs(which i didnt get),i also contemplated getting i big analog mixing desk(which i also refrained from getting)

WATCH YOUR WALLET IN HARDWARE LAND

ghettosynth wrote:
mikusan wrote:Not this old chestnut again... :x
PC vs Mac vs Haddock?
Absolutely there's more to discuss. The OP is saying that software makes him want hardware. It's a valid observation which could be as much about workflow as sound. There's a lot of new "little" analogue synths these days, I think that it keeps getting more and more interesting. It's only a silly debate if the best that you can do to add to the discussion is point out that it's a silly debate.
Thank you. I rest my case :)

V0RT3X wrote:Software synthesizers are fun, but After a while I often end up wishing I had hardware. Anyone else feel this way?
Yes, but only because there's such a hype over these. What's the difference when you use a midi controller with enough knobs and keys to control your soft synth? There is none. Only in your head. :) Another thing is analogue hardware. But then, 600-700€ for a monophonic synth, when i can do so much more with a VA? Not my cup of tea.

But if you feel that way, the best thing for you to do is buy some hardware. Nothing worse than being discontent with what you got, it ultimately can kill your creativity i guess.

Some of the new analog hardware (not the vintage stuff) sounds surprisingly close to digital synths though. Especially when they have stabilized oscillators and such.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Return to “Instruments”