hg fortune synths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

who bought them,who uses them?
in my early vst days,i spended around 200€ on his stuff,never used them because some seemed to hard to program for a beginner.
now i am retrying them for fun,and altough HG is a genius programmer/inventor from new functions,the sound is not what it needs to be in my opinion.

robindrieghe wrote:the sound is not what it needs to be in my opinion.
What does it need to be?

I'm quite impressed by the Tiger

as far as functions,i am impressed by all his stuff.

hg fortune created padshop pro years before there actually was a real padshop pro. his lazy button feature was fantastic and pure genius. its true there x32. ill tell you, there real some real amazing se plugins back in the day. its a real shame jeff never took his creation very serious. if he did then, he sure doesn't now.

I bought The Tiger and Serenity and have all his NFG synths...

It depends on which sound you need. They're pretty good for creating SFX, soundscapes, atmospheres, textures and pads. If you need super-fat leads or splendid house piano keys or growling dubstep basses, they're surely not the right syths... :wink:

I bought the backlist deal on three. Downloaded many of the NFG synths too. Ambitron; STS-26; STS-33 are pretty solid sounding synths without having to be esoteric soundscapes in every patch. Serenity Pro is a nice Formant Synth and for the five bucks, I would recommend them to anyone on a budget that can use 32 bit in their system.
That being said, I never use them. I do like them enough to keep an eye on what he's doing though. Last I heard, he had plans for doing something in the 64 bit field.

If the man who built Diversion is making banks for his synths, I am assuming it has the potential to make great music.

LimboLoves wrote:If the man who built Diversion is making banks for his synths, I am assuming it has the potential to make great music.
It's not Dmitry Sches, but Dimitri Schkoda. :wink:

animehaus wrote:
LimboLoves wrote:If the man who built Diversion is making banks for his synths, I am assuming it has the potential to make great music.
It's not Dmitry Sches, but Dimitri Schkoda. :wink:

Oh my bad. Carry on.

I have all the released ones and have bought Astral Dreamer. For what I do they are great. moving soundscapes and such for ambient, cinematic type stuff. I have used HG synths in quite a few tracks.

His synths are great. There's just something really interesting about them. I was pleased that they work really well using j-bridge on my new 64-bit system.

Many of the factory patches are drenched in reverb, flanger, etc. (which works well with spacey, ambient music), but it's a bit much for most genres. Dial back on the effects and you'll find some great, usable sounds.

I agree with the poster above that the Tiger is probably the peak of his creations. It's very versatile. You can get the classic H.G. Fortune soundscapes with it, but you can also more easily create bread and butter sounds with the Tiger.

I think there has been a clear evolution of the synths released.

The earlier ones like the STS has a digital polish to them. This is nice for certain type of music

Later synths like The Tiger are like the name implies much more lifelike and ferosius sounding.

So a clear evolution (I will not call it progress as some users may prefer that digital sounds of the earlier days) and showing that the author is not stagnating.

Tiger is the only one that never worked on my system. Crashed every time.

I have purchased most of HG Fortunes later synths St 21 up go Astral Dreamer.

Top inspiration for me and IMHO his best is the Tiger.
Use Ultra Swamp a lot and his Percumat Drum machine is a real underappreciated gem.
Only downside for me was too many presets geared towards darker ounds and genres.
Looking forward to his newest work.

I agree that at first glance, many of his synths are geared towards spacey/ambient/dark material, but as previously mentioned, it's the presets, as well as the GUI, that might cause some to overlook the possibilities that are waiting to be explored under the hood.. modulation and routing that's not just slapped in there for the sake of having it, but is actually useful and pertinent.

His philosophy of having everything available on the front panel might also turn some folks off by virtue of very busy GUIs, but it makes tweaking a lot easier (even if I'm squinting in some cases).

Some also might shy away from the extensive use of SF2-as-osc-sources- granted, it doesn't make for a small footprint in one's VSTi folder, but again, it doesn't mean the man's lazy or that basic waveforms aren't available.. as was already suggested, turning off the FX first and getting your hands dirty is the best way to get your own unique sounds out of many HGF synths. If they're just treated as preset-machines, than yes, there's a preponderance
of spacey/ambient/dark sounds.

If it seems too much of a hassle to get something else out of them, then there's plenty of other choices, but IMO it would be wrong to say "that's all they're good for".
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

Return to “Instruments”