Addictive Drums 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Addictive Drums 1

XLN went to an online-only install procedure a couple of years ago. They used to provide the normal setup.exe, setup.dmg, and content zip files, as per usual, then have the challenge/response portion of the install be the only thing that requires an internet connection. I think there was an offline challenge/response as well, where you paste your computer ID into the web page, and you get back your license key file.

Anyhoo… they no longer provide installation files, only a singular mega-downloader-authrorizer thing. If you want to install AD on a new computer, you gots ta download the whole freaking thing on that computer. It doesn't matter whether or not you've already downloaded the same content on a different computer… you have to re-download. You can't just pop open the installer and tell it to "install these content packs here that I burned to DVD last year". No, you have to redownload the content.

Actually, that's the simple view. The reality is a bit more complicated. All of Addictive Keys is download-only (I believe, don't use myself, but I think that's the case). Most of Addictive Drums supports the old installation method, but only until a certain point… for the old method you can only offline-install version 1.5.3 of the engine + all expansions except for Black Velvet and I guess the newish Vintage Dry (which I don't own). If you need or want engine version 1.5.4 to whatever is latest (1.5.6?), you can only install it via the online installer. Not too bad for a few megabyte DLL. Content, on the other hand, such as Black Velvet and Vintage Dry can ONLY be installed via the online installer. Again, you wipe your machine for it's 3-year clean out, or your hard drive crashes, or you just bought a shiny new macbook pro laptop computer system, you're going to be downloading that content again and again because XLN will not give you the ZIPs for it as they used to do.

OK, so maybe there's a hackaround to just "back up what's installed", but that's going to be OS specific, obviously. I've read from XLN themselves that if you back up everything from the 3 locations, then drop them into the exact disk locations where they're expected to be, you can trick the XLN installer to not redownload: http://www.xlnaudio.com/support-knowled ... d_computer … With caveats, of course -- no mix-n-match OSs and whatnot. I'm going to try that later this week when I have a few life-hours to flush down the toilet.

But the point is: their system is not MEANT to work that way. The official XLN completely offline install procedure for Addictive Keys is something to behold, to be sure: http://www.xlnaudio.com/support-knowled ... ctive_keys
You need to limit that rez, bro.

@online only: Oh my, how the people that own AD right now are gonna be pissed.

@AD2: I care about one thing. Sound. If it sounds light years better, then I'll be interested. If it's just a rehash of the browser, I'll be able to save my money :)

@ezdrummer2: I'll have to finish that viddy later. I found it hard to listen to so far because the sound quality is shit and the guy sounds like he could switch to decaf :ud:

Yes, must have been phone capped by some reporter… would have been nice for TT to do a proper recording of the event, cuz overall it was a decent demo. And yes, the presenter was "stoked", as the kids say, to be using EZ Drummer 2. Do the kids still say that?
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Well, I'm 49 and I still use it :hihi:

[quote="hibidy]
@AD2: I care about one thing. Sound. If it sounds light years better, then I'll be interested. If it's just a rehash of the browser, I'll be able to save my money :)
[/quote]

This has to be the strangest announcement for a "new version" release I've ever seen, but it does read like this: "AD2, new browser, new fx, AD2!"

I love AD but I'm not feeling this. XLN needs to put out further info fast.

well it's the 12 of may by now, it should come out tomorrow and still no new info...
hmm...

toontrack did an exemplary marketing & info campain for their ez drummer 2,

on addictive drums 2 i was not able to retrieve any more info since the announcing ... :(

"there are too much new functions too list"

What are the key features of Addictive Drums 2?
Why should I upgrade from the original Addictive Drums?

Addictive Drums 2 has tons of user-requested features as well as a few surprises from the team at XLN Audio! There are too many changes to list here, but the high-level changes can be summarized as follows:

1) Lots of exciting new sound-shaping features.
2) Lots of new tools for finding and transforming beats.
3) Freedom to choose only the content that matters to you.

We will publish a more detailed list as we get closer to launch.
1) Might be nice, exciting probably not so much.
2) Not interested in the least.
3) In-app-purchases? I hope not!

well i saw addictive dums 2 listed in different online stores, and there seems to be avaiable only in bundles: artist, studio and xl or something like that, where you get different numbers of ad, midi and kipiece packs wich you can choose...

but now therefor my question, as an upgrader what do i get, only the new programm or a new soundpack also?

for me it would be a real bummer getting just a new browser for 80 bucks...

Limerick wrote:well i saw addictive dums 2 listed in different online stores, and there seems to be avaiable only in bundles: artist, studio and xl or something like that, where you get different numbers of ad, midi and kipiece packs wich you can choose...

but now therefor my question, as an upgrader what do i get, only the new programm or a new soundpack also?

for me it would be a real bummer getting just a new browser for 80 bucks...
From the little I've read and researched, it seems that when/if you buy any of the INDIVIDUAL ADPak's, you'll automatically get the AD2 engine included. So, it looks like XLN is focussing on selling their ADPak's rather than the new engine.

For those that already have a lot of ADPak's with AD1, then the upgrade might be worth it to have the new engine/features.

I got lucky as I got AD1 in March of this year and I'm eligible for the free upgrade, but I do need to stock up on ADPak's.
Make music :harp:

its seens the simple "engine" plus the threee basic kits are being dropped, so now you get two ADpacks....

Well it's kind of more usefull since when you get one ADpack you stop using the basic kits.

But the new features are not worth 79 USD for the upgrade to me. Will wait for a sale.
dedication to flying

I'll need to look at the video to understand what the update is. Their facebook post gives nothing away. There's no newsletter yet. When I logged into my account I didn't see any direction about upgrading.

That suits me though. Toontrack are commanding my attention with EZ2 at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaNKk4ozvsQ
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Not impressed.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

demo is available (at least for registered customers)
Last edited by budweiser on Mon May 12, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

budweiser wrote:demo is available (at least for register customers)
There's also a $99 upgrade path which includes 1 ADPak. :wink:
Make music :harp:

Return to “Instruments”