One-Synth-Challenge 63: VOPM (Ended)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VOPM

z.prime wrote:
artao wrote:re: how to label the track upload
The rules state the track must be labled as: artist - track title ... and that 'artist' must be the same as my forum name
Is it acceptable to put it as such? forum-name (artist name) - track title ... as in, I'd like to have this as a different 'artist name' than my forum name ... 'artao' is simply my online-presence name, but I like to have my music under different artist names ... :)
Not 100% sure, but I think as long as you put your KVR name in the track somewhere, it should be fine - maybe ALIAS (KVR-NAME) - TRACK NAME. Remember, soundcloud will ALSO display your name. So even if you just put KVR-NAME - TRACK NAME, most people will see your soundcloud name as the artist. The real reason for your KVR name is just to match the track up to your KVR identity, since there's not really much other way to do it.
Kul, thx 8)

https://soundcloud.com/jasinski/jasinsk ... osc63-vopm

"Vel Ocity Party Monster"

One Synth Challenge 63 submission. Using 35+ instances of SAM's "VOPM" FM synthesizer created in Ableton Live 9 using native effects including EQ8, Saturation, Compressor, Glue Compressor, Dynamic Tube, Pingpong Delay, Reverb, and Limiter.

Hello, I tried to post a song (created using only the u-he Podolski synth) to the KVR One Synth Challenge SoundCloud site earlier today. Then I realized that I had not properly formatted the title of the song, and tried to re-post it, titled according to the challenge rules. I got a message saying I had been banned from joining the group. Isn't that a little harsh, considering I discovered and tried to correct my error almost immediately?

thanks, sizemore0409

sizemore0409 wrote:Hello, I tried to post a song (created using only the u-he Podolski synth) to the KVR One Synth Challenge SoundCloud site earlier today. Then I realized that I had not properly formatted the title of the song, and tried to re-post it, titled according to the challenge rules. I got a message saying I had been banned from joining the group. Isn't that a little harsh, considering I discovered and tried to correct my error almost immediately?

thanks, sizemore0409
Not sure about the ban, but you need to be using the synth of the month for your track, if you would like to join the competition. The synth this month is: VOPM (see: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-63-vopm ).

Podolski was many, many months ago. However, feel free to post a link to your track if you'd like feedback.

sizemore0409 wrote:Hello, I tried to post a song (created using only the u-he Podolski synth) to the KVR One Synth Challenge SoundCloud site earlier today. Then I realized that I had not properly formatted the title of the song, and tried to re-post it, titled according to the challenge rules. I got a message saying I had been banned from joining the group. Isn't that a little harsh, considering I discovered and tried to correct my error almost immediately?
Hey! We get a ton of people spamming our group, but there's no way to 'ban' people - sounds kinda mean - we can block though. There was no information on your track.

You are now unblocked! :hug:

Also as z.prime said please check the rules for this month. It's VOPM synth, not Podolski! Thanks :)

Welcome to OSC!

Thanks very much! I'm new to KVR, and I somehow got it into my head that the One Synth Challenge was for any song created in any one synth --- sorry for my error (seems like I'm just a comedy of errors today, TGIF!)

And yes, I would love some feedback on my song created in Podolski; here's the link: https://soundcloud.com/a-sizemore/memor ... and-future

thanks again, and have a great weekend!

sizemore0409

sizemore, understandable! I hope you'll have time to do a track with VOPM. Your Podolski track is cool!

Can someone here compare VOPM to XEN- FMTS 2 (another free FM monster)?
I haven't been able to extract a single sound I like from VOPM, but had the opposite experience with FMTS. Didn't spend more than 20 min on each though.

urlwolf wrote:Can someone here compare VOPM to XEN- FMTS 2 (another free FM monster)?
I haven't been able to extract a single sound I like from VOPM, but had the opposite experience with FMTS. Didn't spend more than 20 min on each though.
Well, one point: VOPM is cross-platform Win/Mac.

urlwolf wrote:I haven't been able to extract a single sound I like from VOPM
Keep at it ... you can get there in the end. What most of us have had to do is layer up a number of sounds.

e.g. to get my "flute like" sound, I got a basic sound I liked, then made anther instance of that which had a little bit more sustain on it, a bit of "fine tuning" and then added in a little bit of freq modulation to that instance to get a slight vibrato feel to the longer notes, and then layered them with slightly different EQ and pan as well.

Most of the sounds you make tend to be quite "thin" in my experience so multiple instances mixed together for a single "instrument" in your setup will likely be the way to go given you are not allowed to substantially change the sound once it comes out of VOPM!

I will be working on my overall soundset until the deadline, so my track will get replaced really quite often. Hopefully it'll be nearer to what I want by the end of the month ;-)

Good luck, let's hear a track.

Rob

***please delete...
Last edited by CHiLLWiLL1013 on Thu May 22, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

May I shamelessly plug my FMDrive YM2612 Sega Genesis VSTi in here?
It seems appropriate as most of you are using VOPM right know, which is also often used to mimic Sega Genesis soundchip... But some of you may not know this is not exactly the same soundchip, VOPM is YM2151 which was used in the Sharp X68000 Japanese computers and other systems. The YM2612 is unique, it was only used in the Sega Genesis and features many cool features the YM2151 has not, like for example, looping envelopes and that characteristic DAC distortion in early models...
Check it out ! it can bring a different flavor :) (OSX will be available next year btw)
All the infos you need are there http://www.alyjameslab.com/index.html
And here is a bunch of demos!
https://soundcloud.com/alyjameslab/sets/fmdrive-vsti

Silly question... seems like I must have missed something: does anyone know where to specify the pitch bend range for the PB wheel on either VOPM version?

Aly James wrote:May I shamelessly plug my FMDrive YM2612 Sega Genesis VSTi in here?
No. Please don't promote commercial products here, thanks.

Freeware would be best to mention in the general thread.

Return to “Instruments”