One-Synth-Challenge 63: VOPM (Ended)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VOPM

oops - almost forgot to post. Here is my VOPM submission that I uploaded last night. The rapid arrival of the deadline made me finish it otherwise I would have never got there! Dr Bob how did you get yours ready so fast!

My space ambient never fully materialised you can probably see how I was starting but in the end it mutated into something else! I still try to use minimal effects - I notice that others are using quite a lot - whats the general consensus?

https://soundcloud.com/philip-mumford/f ... -cant-hide

about 18 instances of VOPM
2 x Reaper JS low pass filter to get rid of some aliasing on the bass
1 x classic compressor
1 x reaper compressor
1 x master bus ambience reverb

Lots of sweat
Lots of tears
Probably not going to use VOPM again! :phones:

Some great submissions again this month.

Actually, I'm pulling my submission. I wanted to participate as a new member of the KVR community; but I don't think my VOPM song is good enough to be posted with the rest of my music on my Soundcloud page. (soundcloud.com/a-sizemore)

I'm very new to using VSTs. Only 2 of the songs on my Soundcloud page use them (Podolski on one and ZynSubAddFX on the other); and I think both those songs are pretty cool and beautiful. But I really struggled with VOPM, and by the time I started getting a basic understanding of how it works, the deadline was upon me. My submission was rushed and kinda sloppy. :dog: So I think I'll sit back and enjoy :phones: listening to everybody else's submissions; and hopefully I'll be able to join in with you and do a better job in future OSC's.

Cheers!
Andy :tu:

Definitely reconsider... I've made a few tunes I'm that I am bit embarrassed about but ended up keeping them. Also, you can set it to private or remove after the voting ends - which is just 15 days :)
sizemore0409 wrote:Actually, I'm pulling my submission. I wanted to participate as a new member of the KVR community; but I don't think my VOPM song is good enough to be posted with the rest of my music on my Soundcloud page. (soundcloud.com/a-sizemore)

I'm very new to using VSTs. Only 2 of the songs on my Soundcloud page use them (Podolski on one and ZynSubAddFX on the other); and I think both those songs are pretty cool and beautiful. But I really struggled with VOPM, and by the time I started getting a basic understanding of how it works, the deadline was upon me. My submission was rushed and kinda sloppy. :dog: So I think I'll sit back and enjoy :phones: listening to everybody else's submissions; and hopefully I'll be able to join in with you and do a better job in future OSC's.

Cheers!
Andy :tu:

Uploaded mine, it's called :

"Vacation On Planet Mercury".

Made In FLStudio.

I used : 13 x VOPM.

Track FX :
3 x Fruity Delay 2
1 x Fruity Parametric EQ 2
1 x ReaComp
1 x Tal Filter 2
1 x ADT
1 x PanCake2
1 x Ambience (send).

Automation : No.

Master FX :
1 x TDR VOS SlickEQ
1 x OTT
1 x Maximus.

Official DR value: DR9.

Enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/petervos/yeager- ... et-mercury

Things got busy this month! But I have my track submitted!
https://soundcloud.com/paulmehlhaff/pul ... ha-cha-cha

This was a difficult synth, but I managed to program a version of my favorite FM sound, a harp-mallet hybrid sound, rather new-agey!
8 instances of VOPM used in Cubasis LE5
9 instances of Cubase native DAW EQ
4 instances of Cubase native VST Dynamics
3 Instances of Classic Delay
4 Instances of DX Reverb Lite
1 Instance of Ferric TDS
1 Instance of Voxengo Span metering plugin.

Ok, bjporter said I should reconsider pulling out of the challenge, and re-post my submission. So I'm back in the mix with you guys.
(Details about VST host, DAW and effects used are in the original post on pg 11.) I still haven't figured out completely how to make use of those fxb files. For example, the sitar only sounded like a sitar the first time I clicked on it; I'm lucky I was able to get that sound into my track. The same with the percussion fxb: it worked only the first time I clicked on it, and unfortunately I was NOT able to use that in my track. And I'm totally clueless about how to use the MDXPG utility and files.

Anyway, hope you enjoy!
https://soundcloud.com/a-sizemore/visio ... ul-madness
Last edited by sizemore0409 on Sat May 31, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joined this time. I like FM synthesis. Is this going to be elite OSC judging by number of entries? ;) VOPM wasn't so easy to program and to get some cool sounds out of it. Sometimes I came upon sounds like bit crushed or distorted somehow. But after tweeking more deeply, I was surprised by its beauty. :phones:
So here it is. Enjoy, and lots of luck to everybody!

Oxebe - Very Optimistically Played Melody

https://soundcloud.com/oxebe/oxebe-very ... lody-osc63

Daw - Live
Instrument: VOPM (x14)
DAW FX: EQ, reverb, filter delay, auto filter, autopan, Utility (gain), compressor, multiband dynamics, limiter.
Free FX: LoudMax.
DR=10
: : vokje : : oxebe : :

flipm1967 wrote:oops - almost forgot to post. Here is my VOPM submission that I uploaded last night. The rapid arrival of the deadline made me finish it otherwise I would have never got there!
Dr Bob how did you get yours ready so fast!
Nice sounds there ... a real PITA to program, especially when you are after a particular sound! You can just tweak and tweak and never quite get there ... frustrating beasty.

Submission so fast? .. well, I had help - my daughter did the composing and scoring and we started after submitting the PolyIblit one - so had quite a few weeks to get it done.

All the notes for each instrument were scored into a score package and then exported as a MIDI file and then imported into REAPER, and then the fun started! In some ways, once the instrument notes were in place, my job was a little easier ... I did have a good time though ... of course, I got a lot of "earache" from the composer!!!!

For those interested the note stats are:

Flute ..................675
Oboe ..................667
Clarinet ..............702
Horns (1 and 3)......483
Horns (2 and 4) .....509
Violin (1) ............828
Violin (2) ............733
Viola .................399
Contrabass ..........488

In total a huge 5484 notes were scored.

After the comp has closed, I'll post up an orchestral version (very rough) so you can get a feel of what it could sound like played by a set of musicians. My kid plays and teaches flute/saxes/clarinet/piano/violin and sings!

Rob - aka doctorbob!

https://soundcloud.com/dzah/dzah-counte ... sc-63-vopm

DzAH - CounterPHarmonic2 - Pour Out (OSC 63: VOPM)

Hope you enjoy it !! :)

6 track:
every track has:

2x Classic Auto-filters
Classic Compressor
TAL-Reverb-3

Master:
Classic Master Limiter
jb_smash_pro
VoS TeslaSE
2x Classic Auto
Classic Master Limiter

Other:
Span
VSTHost
EnergyXT.dll

z.prime - VisuaLies

Well, forum was down an hour or so... anyway, warning: rants ahead. :)

In my ever-changing endeavor to get the best super-awesome-music-making setup, this month I ended up using Reaper on the Mac (a nice Macbook Pro, OS 10.9). I love all that Reaper stands for, mind you… but this completely killed any sort of creative juices that I may have had. Believe me, they are hard enough to find as it stands. The UI was so abysmally responsive, it literally took 10 seconds to open an FX window, arm or disarm tracks. Editing envelopes or moving items in the arrange view was so slow that by the time it caught up, the mouse was 50+ pixels off, every time. I mean… Reaper on Windows is wonderfully solid and has a perfectly fine responsive UI; even Reaper in Wine on Linux is really great to use, but this Mac version, as it stands today… is virtually unusable. Strange thing is, I used a MacBook Air I had for a track ~2 years ago and Reaper worked great. Really not sure what the issue is now, but it’s apparently widespread based on what I read in the forums. Last month… Live on Windows terrible issue… this month another… might as well give up making tracks.</rant>

The good news: not a single audio hiccup, at least! These guys really do know how to write an awesome audio engine. :)

Anyway, VOPM was pretty crappy, too. Hehe. Sorry, had to say it. Some good sounds to be had, for sure. At least it had some bass, which hasn’t always been true with the OSC synths. So, I ended up with a mix of VOPM and VOPMex, since the latter used 2x the CPU for me and, like so many other free synths, when they’re not sounding, they still are eating up CPU. *Sigh*. At least, I stayed around 50% CPU with this track. Not sure if it could actually handle going near 100% and not just falling over dead, though. :)

Like many of you, I will be happy to see VOPM go. But I did quite like the Jasinski skin, so thanks guys for making that happen!

Here are the details:

VOPM: 39 Instances
VOPMex: 18 Instances
Other plugs used:
Freeverb3 ProG, STRev
Limiter No6
Liteon/3bandpeakfilter
LOSER/Saturation
LOSER/timeDifference
MAnalyzer (Melda)
MAutopan
MBandPass
MEqualizer
midi_CC_mapper
MIDI_CC_VOPM (CC controller script I posted… every channel)
midi_transpose
midiTranspose
MSED
ReaComp
ReaControlMIDI
ReaDelay
ReaEQ
ReaXcomp
SPAN
SStillwell/volscale
Stereo Touch
TDR Feedback Compressor II
TDR VOS SlickEQ
Tube Amp
Utility/volume

https://soundcloud.com/z_prime/z-prime-visualies

Enjoy!

http://soundcloud.com/terebellum/terebe ... -submarine

Terebellum - Yellow Cake Submarine

So here is my wierdness for the month. I used 34 instances of VOPM in Hollyhock and then exported the wavs into Reaper to mix.
Fx/Patches used in Hollyhock: Delay, Simple Filter and XY Filter, Reverb, and some custom midi patches for doing stuff like delays and repeaters.
Fx used in Reaper: reaeq, reacomp, tdr feedback compressor 2, density mk3, rough rider, thrillseeker xtc, slickhdr, Limiter no 6, ambience and epicverb

Hey guys, some peeps were having problems, the KVR site was down. So you please hand in your work today before June 2nd :) Or go ahead and edit / re-upload your stuff you already have.

:party: :party: :party: :party:

Hi guys this is mine after problems with KVR site and short in time..................

Song name : Frozen Beauty
Host : FL Studio
21 instances of VOPM
FX : Fruity reeverb 2 , delay 2 , compressor , limiter , parametric EQ
DR : 12

Enjoy...........

Fabrizio

https://soundcloud.com/fabrizio-7/frozen-beauty

Good luck to all who entered - there are some really great submissions!

I was working on something, but Reaper/VOPM kept forgetting the settings. Had to redo it at least twice, then things got too busy and I just ran out of time.

Am I the only one who found VOPM really hard to understand/work with, or is it just because I'm a noob? :)

BK1 wrote:Good luck to all who entered - there are some really great submissions!

I was working on something, but Reaper/VOPM kept forgetting the settings. Had to redo it at least twice, then things got too busy and I just ran out of time.

Am I the only one who found VOPM really hard to understand/work with, or is it just because I'm a noob? :)
This is one of the toughest challenges we've ever had, so not just you :)

Return to “Instruments”