One-Synth-Challenge 63: VOPM (Ended)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VOPM

flipm1967 wrote:Well I created a new project and all the digital noise has gone away. VOPM is surprising me with the sounds it can make but - suddenly I've lost inspiration. Don't like my piece and might start again. Grrrr..... :roll:

Ah well - here we go again!
I've done that more than once before.

Been working on my project a lot, and feel like I'm starting to become "deaf" to how it's actually sounding. As such, I feel like my work is losing "freshness" if you follow me.
Does this happen to you folks? .. and what do YOU do when it does happen?

EDIT: Decided to add here what I've got so far.
EDIT EDIT: removed link, file deleted. Still working :wink:
Last edited by artao on Sun May 18, 2014 6:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Yes, this happens to me too- best for me is to "stay away for a day", let something else occupy the auditory cortex for a while.

For those wondering about VOPMex, but too lazy to translate:

VOPMex
Mr. Sam function to add your own group using Windows VST synth VOPM the (Ver0.17), The version that made ​​the AudioUnit (Mac) correspondence etc.. (13.11.10 updated)
From this version, Mac version will be Intel-only. In addition, if you use the GIMIC, and update to the latest firmware, the Windows version, C86ctl will is required. Place the "c86ctl.dll" in the same folder as the exe file on the host application. For more explanation of official GIMIC Please refer to.

Changes from the original version

AudioUnit support
Correction corresponding to the VSTGUI3.6rc2
It corresponds to the actual performance of using the GIMIC
(Accuracy is a little rough) modified to perform volume control by the TL is a real machine when playing
The change in PNG format graphics data
Implementation of expression independent of the volume
Also virtual sound source when using change to try to do the velocity control by TL
I was the same as the actual operation of the OPM hardware LFO of virtual sound source when using
Control of all parameters by the tone control change
Velocity sensitivity setting function of each operator
Enable two on each MIDI channel software LFO
Enable the group to 128 MIDI channels for each software envelope
Output in S98 format of performance data
Enable one on each MIDI channel possible compressor also soft knee characteristics
I have to choose from two types of poly mode, the Slot keeping method
Implementing NRPN for switching compatibility mode, the mode ex
Fixes some bugs
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

I almost understood that.

jasinski wrote:I almost understood that.
Better than I could do with that translation!

@z.prime great idea. I'm starting to get some nice bass, lead and kb sounds from VOPM (as you might expect from FM) so maybe I will just use this project to try them out with some ideas and then start afresh! I was planning on either a baroque style classical thing or some epic ambient piece but ended up with MOR electronic lift music. FM wasn't really suitable for the string sounds I wanted - so I guess that leaves me in ambient space although I am struggling with "lush pads" in VOPM too ... think multiple stacked instances are in order! :)

Layering is almost a must - the basic sounds are pretty thin. As you rightly say, getting a good string sound is not easy - in our piece which needed violin 1+2, viola and contrabass, the string sounds are not wonderful. Each track duplicated and then the original sound for each modified on the new track (different attack/decay and slightly different harmonic structure and fine tuning), then mixed together. Still not great and will probably keep working at it until the deadline (I have replaced the original twice already!).

I guess it's a toss up whether to go for the FM sounds for which it was designed or to try to shake it into submission and make some new sounds!

I do find that it's not too smart on any set sound once you move out of a small few octave range - the sounds change quite a bit, but sort of the nature of the synthesis method.

Keep at it though - I'm sure something will come right in the end.

Cheers,

Rob (aka db) and composer Amy!

flipm1967 wrote:@z.prime great idea. I'm starting to get some nice bass, lead and kb sounds from VOPM (as you might expect from FM) so maybe I will just use this project to try them out with some ideas and then start afresh! I was planning on either a baroque style classical thing or some epic ambient piece but ended up with MOR electronic lift music. FM wasn't really suitable for the string sounds I wanted - so I guess that leaves me in ambient space although I am struggling with "lush pads" in VOPM too ... think multiple stacked instances are in order! :)
Yeah for lush sounding pads, try a stack of 3-4 less complex VOPM instances panned with some slight detuning and plenty of reverb.

jasinski wrote: Yeah for lush sounding pads, try a stack of 3-4 less complex VOPM instances panned with some slight detuning and plenty of reverb.
Tried that myself for a huge lead and, at first, it was horrifically discordant. Had to go back to the manual to sort out VOPM's weird fine tuning parameter. IIRC, 0, 4: in tune; 3: highest negative detune, 7: highest positive detune. Something like that. Quite looking forward to hearing ppls' lush FM pads.

Right now I'm itching for a monophonic solo mode from VOPM, but it only has polyphonic response. Anyone know of a VST MIDI plug-in or easy way to drop the polyphony of VOPM down to one voice, specifically with legato? Portamento would be cool too! But inducing it externally…would that be legal for the contest?

Pulse Width Modulation wrote:Right now I'm itching for a monophonic solo mode from VOPM, but it only has polyphonic response. Anyone know of a VST MIDI plug-in or easy way to drop the polyphony of VOPM down to one voice, specifically with legato? Portamento would be cool too! But inducing it externally…would that be legal for the contest?
It would be perfectly legal to send whatever MIDI to that synth you can.

You can also, however, set mono mode using the JS script I posted in this thread. And adjust the portamento time.

https://soundcloud.com/shortmanb/make-i ... pm-contest

KVR OSC VOPM Challenge

Synth: VOPM (x26)

Title: Make It

DAW: Reaper v4.62/x64

Effects: ReaComp, ReaXcomp, JS: Guita/amp-model, JS: SStillwell/eventhorizon, ReaEQ, LOSER/waveShapingDstr, JS: Liteon/bassmanager, JS: SstillWell/3x3, Terry West CS12-M, MAutoPan, Classic Reverb, Twin Delay, Voxengo SPAN, Aradaz Maximizer5, Tessla SE.

Thanks!

re: how to label the track upload
The rules state the track must be labled as: artist - track title ... and that 'artist' must be the same as my forum name
Is it acceptable to put it as such? forum-name (artist name) - track title ... as in, I'd like to have this as a different 'artist name' than my forum name ... 'artao' is simply my online-presence name, but I like to have my music under different artist names ... :)

Pulse Width Modulation wrote:Right now I'm itching for a monophonic solo mode from VOPM, but it only has polyphonic response. Anyone know of a VST MIDI plug-in or easy way to drop the polyphony of VOPM down to one voice, specifically with legato? Portamento would be cool too! But inducing it externally…would that be legal for the contest?
Another option would be RunBeerRun's RobotArm utility, set to mono. It solved my arpeggiator stuck notes issues brilliantly.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yodimzx53esi ... otArms.rar

artao wrote:re: how to label the track upload
The rules state the track must be labled as: artist - track title ... and that 'artist' must be the same as my forum name
Is it acceptable to put it as such? forum-name (artist name) - track title ... as in, I'd like to have this as a different 'artist name' than my forum name ... 'artao' is simply my online-presence name, but I like to have my music under different artist names ... :)
Not 100% sure, but I think as long as you put your KVR name in the track somewhere, it should be fine - maybe ALIAS (KVR-NAME) - TRACK NAME. Remember, soundcloud will ALSO display your name. So even if you just put KVR-NAME - TRACK NAME, most people will see your soundcloud name as the artist. The real reason for your KVR name is just to match the track up to your KVR identity, since there's not really much other way to do it.

Return to “Instruments”