Samplephonics Dirty Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello guys.
Yesterday i saw this link of the Samplephonics facebook page. This looks pretty interesting!

I didn't know they also produced plugins. Their samples are top notch, i hope this thing will be on the same level!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... nt_count=1

Here's also the video teaser of the plugin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ0fHBoEn_4

There's a lot on the GUI so not sure how that would fit in a Kontakt panel, but is there any other reason this couldn't be another Kontakt based virtual instrument, like their Nevo Analogue Machines and 808 instruments?
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

In the newsletter I got today they indeed called it a plugin. Exciting!
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.

I don't think

"Here's a peak at the modular synth we used for our upcoming plugin. We spent many many hours sampling a wondrous collection of sounds from this beauty...all to be unveiled soon!"

many hours of sampling !!
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

If their Dirty Modular will be a real(!) vst/au synth, would be great. But if it`s Kontakt based, hmm i don`t know.

Also if they called it plugin in their newsletter, their Nervo Kontakt instrument was also called "rompler".

I paste here what i've wrote on their facebook page as i was really interested ona first look, but...

"Nice one, but it would be an original product if it had switchable modules and connections really like modular stuff, i/o, cv i/o, modulation sources and destinations with all the unusual modules that can be found on analog modular hardware.
OSC, LFO, Filters, Envelopes and a couple of fx with a SEQ seems to me nothing new than a pretty standard vst with a good designed skin.
Probably it will sound great of course, but synthesis side, i don't see anything innovative.
My 2 cents of course."

more intrigued now...but still mighty pricey fer me...

Looks great, amazing what you can do with Kontakt these days :tu:

core wrote:Looks great, amazing what you can do with Kontakt these days :tu:
absolutely....NOW ...I'm wondering just how cpu hungry this'n will be :scared: :lol:

Using cabling graphics to show signal flow is a nice idea. It can't be as flexible as semi-modular VSTs or a proper modular, but the snippets sound decent, and there's plenty to do.

However, I'd be interested to know why they chose for this to be a Powered by Kontakt library - I'm guessing it's bumping the cost up by 35-50%. Is it to keep the samples locked in a monolith? I can't believe that the proportion of potential purchasers who haven't got Kontakt full version is high enough to make it a money-driven decision, but I could be wrong. Just curious... :shrug:
Textur for ACE
After Hours for Lounge Lizard EP-4
Prism Sticks for Chromaphone 2

Watcha chaps.

I bought this just before the intro price went up.
Sorry, I can't answer all your questions (many of which are subjective taste issues, eg Kontakt vs VST), but for CPU hit here is a hopefully(!) useful pic from my PC just now:

In a nutshell, with five fingers holding down keys at 96khz on most patches, CPU is between 30-55% (in Ableton Live 8 ).
TBH, bouncing down to audio would be my preferred manner, but the CPU hit isn't terrible by any means.

It sounds absolutely fantastic, imho.

Each to their own, natch, but if you're looking for a great sounding modular program, you won't get many better than this currently.

Cheers.

What would be best value?

With Arturia Modular V at half price at the moment, it costs like 1/3 of Dirty Modular

I was also kinda interested in this product, but since there is not demo available and most youtube patches that were demonstrated only featured saw-type sounds. Does it have any sine-type of sounds as well or any bleeps? How are the presets on it?

I also asked samplephonics and dirty modular can not be resold, since they don't permit license transfers.

As a modular owner, I'm amused that they have different, and even recognizable styles of knobs in the GUI but the panel designs have consistent layout and font choices :hihi:

Don't get too excited about this being "modular" with all those hardwired connections. The envelopes trigger on MIDI notes, with no gate input jack (not to mention CV control over stages, gates for each stage, etc.). The sequencer... I guess is tied to the MIDI clock in some way, and probably cannot be routed to anything other than pitch. The FX have no output jack and the delay/reverb don't even have input jacks, much less CV control. I'm guessing, without trying it myself, that the oscillators and filters don't do FM, and the filters might not self-resonate. And it doesn't look like there's a way to mult an output to two inputs.

So the "modular" aspect of this is really just routing an oscillator to the filter or effect of your choice, and choosing destinations for LFOs and envelopes.

That's true. It's a sample-based kontakt instrument. I still find it interesting and would like to know whether it's usable even as a sample-instrument. The sound demos I've heard haven't been very impressive and there is not demo available. It's kinda funny that buying this product is like buying a pig in a poke, that is, you don't know what you're getting and you can't resell it if you don't like it. That's a huge minus. This is why I'm really curious to know whether it's any good.

Could someone who owns this instrument do a short video of it and put it on youtube? The only ones on youtube are made by samplephonic and they aren't any good.

Return to “Instruments”