DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

Kriminal wrote:
raymondwave wrote:Getting a full cycle as in V1 was something i asked for during beta, but was fobbed off.... apparently 15% is the same as 85% :roll:
I've never thought about this subject nor do I know if the half cycle is really a problem, but 15% and 85% sound different, atleast in v1. Just seems a bit weird this decision.

JP8v, Waves Element and few others have half cycle also. And Waldorf Largo, but that's a wavetable I think.

I guess they could also have added a wavetable that did a full cycle. I don't think I'm going to miss it tho, now that I figured out you need to put it at 75 % for it to cycle symmetrically.

v1o wrote:
Kriminal wrote:I fail to see the point of a kybd (and PB/MW) on the gui. Everyone must have a controller...unless you're a non-musician
There's lots of people who compose entirely on the piano roll. And do so quite successfully. In fact the piano roll is powerful tool you can write parts impossible to play on a keyboard.
Let's wait for the unplugged version then :hihi: It's like people singing falsetto in the studio (needing zillions of takes or even using tricks) and not being able to do it live...

I guess we just have to develop the discipline to make sure we're editing the right voice or "All" if we want unless or until someone comes up with a better solution......... :?
I think the editing is good as it is, just one or two undo steps would be fine.

There are plugins with undo/redo, it can't be impossible to do. Atleast FXPansion Geist and Waves Element have undo.

raymondwave wrote:I think the editing is good as it is, just one or two undo steps would be fine.
If the editing was truly good you wouldn't need Undo.......... :wink:

But I agree an Undo button would be nice................. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

v1o wrote:
Kriminal wrote:I fail to see the point of a kybd (and PB/MW) on the gui. Everyone must have a controller...unless you're a non-musician
There's lots of people who compose entirely on the piano roll. And do so quite successfully. In fact the piano roll is powerful tool you can write parts impossible to play on a keyboard.
im sure they sound fantastic...

raymondwave wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
raymondwave wrote:Getting a full cycle as in V1 was something i asked for during beta, but was fobbed off.... apparently 15% is the same as 85% :roll:
I've never thought about this subject nor do I know if the half cycle is really a problem, but 15% and 85% sound different, atleast in v1. Just seems a bit weird this decision.

It does indeed, but i gave up in the end, they werent interested, and its too late to change it now.

heres another one, this time i loaded the song into the Sampler first and played it 3 octaves down(slower) and rendered and edited, as you seem to get better samples that way

i used Bing Crosby - White Christmas

http://soundcloud.com/kriminal-dave2/kriminal-dune2-wx

you can download the WT and sfs here: https://app.box.com/s/d1gj1qf3usd4rmrjhu53

Works much better with the ESI Juli@ card (as expected).

(Previously used it with EMU 0404 PCI.)

In a complex synth with features like sync and ringmod, having a full range of PWM duty cycle values is marginally better, since you can break the symmetry which causes 10% and 90% pulses to sound the same, by the interactions with other waveforms.

Or to put it another way, you can do shit with teh PWMz0rz, innit?
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

raymondwave wrote:
I guess we just have to develop the discipline to make sure we're editing the right voice or "All" if we want unless or until someone comes up with a better solution......... :?
I think the editing is good as it is, just one or two undo steps would be fine.

There are plugins with undo/redo, it can't be impossible to do. Atleast FXPansion Geist and Waves Element have undo.
The U-he synths have undo also...

I think any complex synth (like Dune 2) can really from undo...

I'm trying the demo now, sounds very nice! Some of the presets seem kind of boring.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Sendy wrote:In a complex synth with features like sync and ringmod, having a full range of PWM duty cycle values is marginally better, since you can break the symmetry which causes 10% and 90% pulses to sound the same, by the interactions with other waveforms.

Or to put it another way, you can do shit with teh PWMz0rz, innit?
In Diva, 10% and 90% can sound very different...

raymondwave wrote:I guess they could also have added a wavetable that did a full cycle. I don't think I'm going to miss it tho, now that I figured out you need to put it at 75 % for it to cycle symmetrically.
Yep should sound the same. If you draw a couple pulses on paper, you'll see that 25% and 75% is the same, just sign-flipped. Only when pulses get asymmetric (as in some analog synths), there may be audible differences between narrow and broad pulses.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard_Synapse wrote:
raymondwave wrote:I guess they could also have added a wavetable that did a full cycle. I don't think I'm going to miss it tho, now that I figured out you need to put it at 75 % for it to cycle symmetrically.
Yep should sound the same. If you draw a couple pulses on paper, you'll see that 25% and 75% is the same, just sign-flipped. Only when pulses get asymmetric (as in some analog synths), there may be audible differences between narrow and broad pulses.

Richard
That's true in the case of a single oscillator on it's own, but not when you have ringmod and/or sync available.

For example, using amplitude modulation to make a pulse wave gate another waveform gives you all these waveforms. (Really, I'm just looking for an excuse to trot out this chart, because I spent an hour on it ages ago, lol)

Don't get me wrong, Dune is fine without it, obviously, but some synth nerds like me might appreciate it (or a wavetable approximating it at least).
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Richard_Synapse wrote:Yep should sound the same. If you draw a couple pulses on paper, you'll see that 25% and 75% is the same, just sign-flipped. Only when pulses get asymmetric (as in some analog synths), there may be audible differences between narrow and broad pulses.
I actually tried with Dune v1 and 15 % vs 85 % sound very much different :).

Also, I don't know if v1 pwm goes narrower than v2, but it sounds like it when you modulate with lfo with full 100 in matrix.

Not saying this is a huge problem (atleast yet), just testing things.
Last edited by raymondwave on Fri May 09, 2014 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”