DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

fisherKing wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
fisherKing wrote:try telling your landlord the rent will get paid when you get around to it...
actually, he is very understanding and is fine when I am a week or two late with rent :tu:
and if we all lived in a universe where that happened...it would be a very different life. most people have to pay rent on time. the bottom line...if something has a 30day limit, that's the deal. deal with it, or get on to the next thing... simple. 8)
the universe is a big place... and it is mutable... :ud:

When rent is not paid on time, there is a legal process that must be adhered to though.
i.e. notices and intents are first exhausted and then mediation determines the time of lock out.
In most cases, communication with the landlord about other factors is key to extending times.

A demo like this, simply locks you out without consideration of other factors.

Honestly, I tried this demo.
And while I find I liked it's sound well enough, was done with it after about a half an hour of demo.

BBFG# wrote:When rent is not paid on time, there is a legal process that must be adhered to though.
i.e. notices and intents are first exhausted and then mediation determines the time of lock out.
In most cases, communication with the landlord about other factors is key to extending times.

So a dev should consider everyones individual circumstances or consider that something unforseen might happen that messes with the 30 day limitwhen putting a limit on a demo version? Wow...

30 days is plenty. I find it hard to believe you cant find a few hours in a 30 day period of your chosing to demo a synth...

Ultimately, you dont have to buy it. You know how the demo works too. I think its very generous, given that some companies dont offer demo versions at all, or insist on the demo using a dongle.

Kriminal wrote:
BBFG# wrote:When rent is not paid on time, there is a legal process that must be adhered to though.
So a dev should consider everyones individual circumstances or consider that something unforseen might happen that messes with the 30 day limitwhen putting a limit on a demo version? Wow...
30 days is plenty. I find it hard to believe you cant find a few hours in a 30 day period of your chosing to demo a synth...
Ultimately, you dont have to buy it. You know how the demo works too. I think its very generous, given that some companies dont offer demo versions at all, or insist on the demo using a dongle.
Not by any means. I was only pointing out that the analogy to rent was flawed from the start.

Perhaps a more appropriate analogy would be on the terms of a car on a test drive. Where your attention and limits are set accordingly. Granted, if you don't buy on this test, you can come back later and test it again. So that would show a reasoning closer to the buyers point of view than the sellers need to close you on it as quickly as possible. Even creating an urgency to do so. Kind of puts the developer in a different light of sales trickery though.

Not telling any developer what to do or defending their philosophy here. Merely pointing out how it can work against them as much as it works for them.

Like I said, for me, a half hour was more than enough to figure out I didn't want it. Not because it isn't good, because it seems to be a good synth. But simply because it didn't 'click' with me as doing something my other synths did not.

Knowing that the demo won't work the next time I open it, just to see if my opinion has changed will of course, mean simply deleting it off my system instead of giving it another chance. So in this case, they lose a sale. And I suspect they won't care if they did or not.

Is anybody using DUNE 2....demo or full version....in Windows 7 64 bit, Cubase 7.0.7. 64 bit ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

BBFG# wrote: Not by any means. I was only pointing out that the analogy to rent was flawed from the start.

Perhaps a more appropriate analogy would be on the terms of a car on a test drive. Where your attention and limits are set accordingly. Granted, if you don't buy on this test, you can come back later and test it again. So that would show a reasoning closer to the buyers point of view than the sellers need to close you on it as quickly as possible. Even creating an urgency to do so. Kind of puts the developer in a different light of sales trickery though.

Not telling any developer what to do or defending their philosophy here. Merely pointing out how it can work against them as much as it works for them.

Like I said, for me, a half hour was more than enough to figure out I didn't want it. Not because it isn't good, because it seems to be a good synth. But simply because it didn't 'click' with me as doing something my other synths did not.

Knowing that the demo won't work the next time I open it, just to see if my opinion has changed will of course, mean simply deleting it off my system instead of giving it another chance. So in this case, they lose a sale. And I suspect they won't care if they did or not.
you're missing the whole point: you either deal with the constraints of a situation...or don't. if you can't work with a 30-day demo, it's your issue...not the developers. you can live in the real world, or imagine one that more suits your needs. whatever makes you happy...

fisherKing wrote:
BBFG# wrote: Not by any means. I was only pointing out that the analogy to rent was flawed from the start.

you're missing the whole point: you either deal with the constraints of a situation...or don't. if you can't work with a 30-day demo, it's your issue...not the developers. you can live in the real world, or imagine one that more suits your needs. whatever makes you happy...
Wy are you being so harsh? I think he has a point. I also let the demo expire without trying it that much, because, after the first two days, I has other things to do. Of course it's the developers prerrogative to create demos the way they feel best fit their interests, but us, users/customers, are also entitled to have an opinion. I, for example, do prefer demos that have some some limitations but never expire.

In the end, if the majority thinks like me and BBFG#, the developer ends loosing and the demo is not fulfilling its purpose
Fernando (FMR)

yeah, maybe i'm taking this all too seriously. anyway, i love dune2, and look forward to working with it a lot...great-sounding synth!

fisherKing wrote:

I think in normal cases a 30 day demo is fine, but I know for myself that there have been times I've loaded up a demo and then some crazy life event happened and it all went kerflooie. Think 30 days is a long time? Then you haven't had a newborn. :help: They're like some crazy time vampire that traps you in some sort of stasis while the world around you keeps going and 3 months later you peek out of your cave to find your demo time is up and you've forgotten what a synthesizer is and you smell like spoiled human breast milk.

That's why I think it's to a dev's advantage to maybe do a 30 day demo where you can just use the software as if you own it, then on the 30th day you get a message telling you it's about to be up. On day 31 and beyond, the software still works but with obtrusive things like bursts of silence. This way you don't get the benefit of the full unencumbered demo, but you can still come back to it and evaluate it for future purchase.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

30 days of unrestricted use is extremely generous, considering there's plugins which have a 10 minutes time limit every time you load it, or feature some noise every 10 seconds. As been said, mainly your own mistake when you activate the demo when you know you'll be pretty busy the next month. No dev can be held responsible for your own time management. :P

Teksonik wrote:Is anybody using DUNE 2....demo or full version....in Windows 7 64 bit, Cubase 7.0.7. 64 bit ?
Again.......Some one has reported issues with "ASIO Spikes" at the Synapse forums so I wonder if anyone else has this same setup.......
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

chk071 wrote:30 days of unrestricted use is extremely generous, considering there's plugins which have a 10 minutes time limit every time you load it, or feature some noise every 10 seconds. As been said, mainly your own mistake when you activate the demo when you know you'll be pretty busy the next month. No dev can be held responsible for your own time management. :P
I actually prefer the ten minute each session demo over a specified amount of days. And in relationship to Synplant, which gives you 'x' amount of days but only counts them down with each opening, that is optimal. Then at least, you get 30 actual days of the instrument, regardless of how long it takes you to reach them.

I agree that would be cooler. But IMO, 30 days is still plenty to check something out. Everyone should be able to find a little time on the weekends or whatever.

fisherKing wrote: you're missing the whole point: you either deal with the constraints of a situation...or don't. if you can't work with a 30-day demo, it's your issue...not the developers. you can live in the real world, or imagine one that more suits your needs. whatever makes you happy...
I can't speak for anyone else, but just because I point something out that is not ideal for me, does not automatically mean I consider there to be an issue or any blame to be assigned or that I am directly attempting to change it.

I like to test a synth without coming to a quick conclusion. I also like to have conversations without quick conclusions of who is right or wrong cause often nobody is.

Return to “Instruments”