PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

DUNE 2 is finally available!

Listen to the Audio Demos here:
http://www.synapse-audio.com/dune2.html

Grab the free demo version here:
http://www.synapse-audio.com/download.html

Overview

The design goal of DUNE 2 was to increase both the sound quality and the versatility of the synthesizer as much as possible, compared to its predecessor. We're very happy with the result and hope you will be, too!

Oscillator concept

Dune 2 comes with two stereo oscillator stacks, each stack can emit up to 32 oscillators with adjustable Detune, Pan Spread and a variety of tuning modes. Each stack can be toggled between virtual-analog (VA), Wavetable (WT) and FM Synthesis.
A third oscillator can be used as a sub-oscillator.

Overall up to 65 oscillators are available per voice. Since Dune 2 also features 8x unison, up to 520 oscillators can be synthesized per note. Since Dune 2 is furthermore a polyphonic synthesizer with 16 voices, the overall maximum is 8320 oscillators playing simultaneously.

A stereo noise generator complements the oscillator section.

Filter

Dune 2 introduces zero-delay feedback filters, which more closely mimic the behavior of analog hardware. A drive parameter allows to adjust the saturation characteristic (important when using strong resonance). Most filters can reach self-oscillation and have proper resonant tuning.

A separate filter effect section offers special effects like Bitcrush, Ratecrush, Distortion, etc and can be used pre- or post-filter.

Graphical Envelopes

Dune 2 introduces four multiple segment envelope generators (MSEG). MSEGs can be used to draw precise custom envelopes, or they can be used in loop mode tempo sync'ed to the host, which allows to create rhythmic effects such as the well-known "trance gate" effect.

Unison

One of the most important changes in Dune 2 is the ability to edit all 8 unison voices directly, essentially turning Dune 2 into a multi-part synthesizer. This allows to stack completely different sounds, using different synthesis models (VA, FM, Wavetable), a different filter, etc.

Arpeggiator

The arpeggiator now offers the classic up/down/random etc modes in addition to its sequencer. The sequencer adds a slide feature and allows to import MIDI files. Polyphonic MIDI sequences can be played back as well.

Master Effects

Dune 2 features two master effect chains, each containing 9 effects. The new effects offer higher quality and more parameters than previously. Effect parameters can be modulated via the modulation matrix.

Patch Management

The patch management in Dune 2 is now based on files and folders, to simplify patch management. When launching Dune 2, all available banks will be scanned automatically. This greatly simplifies using third party content, as it is no longer necessary to explicitly load banks. Sound design becomes easier, as the file-based system allows to duplicate, remove, and rename patches, and to sort them in arbitrary categories. Additional standard functions like Initialize and Revert Patch speed up the workflow.

Audio-Rate Modulation

The new engine can be set to audio-rate modulation mode, allowing all synthesizer parameters (except the master effects) to be modulated at audio-rate. Audio-rate modulation is very CPU-intensive, but allows to develop new sounds with rapid modulations previously not possible. Furthermore it is useful for percussive sounds such as kick drums.

Multi-threaded processing

In order to achieve a higher sound quality, most DSP algorithms employed in Dune 2 are much more complex than in Dune 1. This also means a higher CPU load, at least in theory. In practice the optimized SSE vector code, as well as the multi-threaded engine lower the processor load substantially. A modern PC or Mac with an i5 quad core or better is required, however.

Final Note:

DUNE 2 is structurally different from DUNE 1 in many areas, and thus not compatible with it. Both run just fine in parallel, however. There is no need to uninstall DUNE 1 prior to installing DUNE 2.
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Superb! Thanks Richard!! Very Excited :party:
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Fri May 02, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Congrats :tu:

I really like the GUI, detailed, but not crowded, very hands on, and inviting:

Quick question, where did the old bp/lp or hp/lp filters go, were they renamed? What are the demo limitations? Only 64 presets for demo? Sounds awesome so far :tu: Blue Fantasy EDT with modwheel :o :o In love with this thing so far :D :D
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Fri May 02, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Not working with Cubase 7.5.20 64Bit (crash with the 64Bit version)
[edit]
Using jBridge and the 32Bit version is working. So it seems a bug with the 64Bit VST implementation.
Last edited by 4damind on Fri May 02, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mysticvibes wrote:Quick question, where did the old bp/lp or hp/lp filters go, were they renamed?
They are separated out in to filter and effect. It's a lot more flexible this way. You can change the order of the 'normal' filter and the 'effect' filter too by dragging!
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

Congrats to the release :tu:

I haven't really played with the demo, but I started an instance via remote desktop and here are a couple of feature requests:
- preset management for MSEGs (load + save MSEGs)
- ability to control LFO offset (phase)
- either additional ADSR envelopes OR the ability to associate ADSR phases to nodes in the MSEG (e.g. "this node is the sustain level", "here starts release" etc.)

Currently the very first mp3 demos seems to be to the glory of zen and deep meditation

:pray: :pray: :pray: ...if you see what i mean ?

i just wait to some other (?) examples that shall come very soon, without any doubt !!!!

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

cytospur wrote:
mysticvibes wrote:Quick question, where did the old bp/lp or hp/lp filters go, were they renamed?
They are separated out in to filter and effect. It's a lot more flexible this way. You can change the order of the 'normal' filter and the 'effect' filter too by dragging!
Yeah noticed those were renamed some I think. For instance I don't see LP/BP/HP Sweep from Dune 1, renamed to something else? A list of what was renamed would be helpful :D

Presets sound beautiful so far, Well Done to whomever made them. Congrats :party:
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Fri May 02, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:Presets sound beautiful so far, Well Done to whomever made them. Congrats :party:
Where can i listen ?, the mp3 page shows 2 Demo (Dejavu sound) but no links ?

Anyway i like deep meditation music a lot ...

:pray: :pray:

:tu:

Like i said GUI looks very Reason to me.

Sound is...wow..I think i've finally have replacement for all viruses up until Virus TI - yes that good. Everything is well done including synth engine and FX..Note that i am not whining about GUI it's very intuitive it's just cartoon looking to me but that's not anything bad. Sound is spectacular, rich, creamy whatever. Top notch.

forget it...attached image doesn't seems to appear

Last edited by Krakatau on Fri May 02, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Congrats,

is there no Mac VST version, or on the demo page the Mac Download Mac OS X Au Demo, has just been mislabeled?

thanks
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Fri May 02, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

kmonkey wrote:Like i said GUI looks very Reason to me.

Sound is...wow..I think i've finally have replacement for all viruses up until Virus TI - yes that good. Everything is well done including synth engine and FX..Note that i am not whining about GUI it's very intuitive it's just cartoon looking to me but that's not anything bad. Sound is spectacular, rich, creamy whatever. Top notch.
I understand what you are saying with regards to the GUI, but now that I have worked with it for a while (beta), I must say that I love the lay-out. As a sound designer it's very much fun to work with Dune 2.

And the sound... I totally agree with your statement! :tu:
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

Krakatau wrote:
mysticvibes wrote:Presets sound beautiful so far, Well Done to whomever made them. Congrats :party:
Where can i listen ?, the mp3 page shows 2 Demo (Dejavu sound) but no links ?

Anyway i like deep meditation music a lot ...

:pray: :pray:

:tu:
Here's a small Demo of some keys keys and pads thrown in a song I'm working on :hyper: :party:
https://soundcloud.com/immortal-telemere/dune-2-sounds

TTU Youtube

Return to “Instruments”