DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

carrieres wrote:
quantum7 wrote:How are the other 200-some presets as opposed to the demo presets? I have little time to program from scratch....and I'm not the greatest programmer anyway....therefore great presets as starting points are my friends. :)
the presets are awesome
and you can buy a new bank here : http://www.roblee-music.com/
LOL just bought this too (it's on sale). dune2 is already taking over my life, sigh... 8)
but totally inspiring. and rob lee always makes great soundsets.

my GF is wondering if she's gonna see me AT ALL this weekend... :roll:

fluffy_little_something wrote:
quantum7 wrote:How are the other 200-some presets as opposed to the demo presets? I have little time to program from scratch....and I'm not the greatest programmer anyway....therefore great presets as starting points are my friends. :)
Those are the kind of things I don't really understand. Since it is a demo version that is supposed to wow the potential customer and saving/using presets is not possible anyway, why on earth do they not include all factory presets in the demo version? :dog: It is a big file already, so it can't be because of the file size.

Prob to put off the wa**z teams...maybe....

Somebody played around a bit with Dune 2 and made a video.

http://youtu.be/eVFQ0G9Fj74

I like how it sounds.

More testing. The filters are pretty nice this time. Also the filter fx are very usable, especially the light distortion. I just cranked filter drive to the max, resonance to the max, light distortion to the max and still get very usable stuff, actually quite beautiful distorted resonance. The arp section with slide and tie can make it very TB like. The Acid Lowpass filter is something, but the Clean Multimode lp's are great too. Filters were the weakest link of v1 and this time it's much better.

What I'm missing are simple on/off buttons. Oscillators could use them, the mixer is ok, but would be faster to a/b with an on/off rather than drag the slider up and down. Same thing with the filter fx, drop down menu or amount is slower to use. FX section has them luckily.

What I'm not immediately praising is the osc density section. It's not that easy to make a decent supersaw. I don't know if it's phasey, chorusy, boxy or what, but it's easier to make it sound bad than good. I wasn't too fond of it in v1 and it's still not a complete winner. This time I've managed to do some ok trancy arps with combining density and unison, but it takes tweaking. The new filters help here a lot. Anyway, supersaw is just one use for it, so there's tons of other uses for it also. I'm yet to explore the different modes extensively.

I'm also struggling a bit with the envelope's, especially release. Longer release times tend to sound phasey, boomy and ringy (or something). The release tails don't sound amazing when overlapping.

So far I think I can get better modern trance sounds with other synths (well, atleast with less tweaking), but for serious sound sculpting and sound design, this is one hell of a tool.

How can that be? :roll:
When i click on the dune2demo.dmg i see the window above.
The INSTALL DUNE 2 DEMO.pkg installs only the Plug-Ins AU VST,
not the Content. It's not relevant which Daw/host i use.
When i try to open the Plug-In it says: Error content not found…etc.
Since the developers don't answer in any way i surely will skip Dune. :x
What is the exact error message you get?

The content is not installed into the same directories as the .vst/.component are, but automatically copied to the user's directory by the installer:
~/Music/Synapse Audio/DUNE 2/... (also please note that this is not the same folder as the root "/Music" directory, but a folder placed in your user's Home directory).

Please check if you see the content at there.
Last edited by intro on Sat May 03, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am not into unison, voice stacking etc., but to me the options in the osc sections and the unison section seem a bit overlapping and redundant.

Another thing I don't like about the demo version is that one can't save the patches made while demoing. Other developers are more intelligent and generous in this respect, allowing people to save them, but not load them into the demo version. This is much more of an incentive to actually buy the synth, because during that month one can make a lot of nice sounds one would like to continue to use after buying.

The unison in Dune is a bit deeper than most synths. They are more like voices and the slots in the mod matrix can be targeted per voice(s), which makes it open to a lot of different uses.

Altho I do agree, they can be a bit difficult to distinguish if you don't go deeper than stacking voices and detuning them.

Now that the density section has it's own options, it may be a bit hard to understand at first.

(Edit. Actually the unison section is what make Dune unique, that's where the name derives from as far as I understand).

It's JP8xxx on steroids, beats all digital super saw synths like sylenth, spire and other lego bricks.
Soundbanks for Serum, Bazille, Diva, lush-101, Zebra2, Monark... Here

raymondwave wrote:The unison in Dune is a bit deeper than most synths. They are more like voices and the slots in the mod matrix can be targeted per voice(s), which makes it open to a lot of different uses.

Altho I do agree, they can be a bit difficult to distinguish if you don't go deeper than stacking voices and detuning them.

Now that the density section has it's own options, it may be a bit hard to understand at first.

(Edit. Actually the unison section is what make Dune unique, that's where the name derives from as far as I understand).

Thanks, I guess I would have to dive in there to understand the difference :)

The osc density thingy reminds me of the JP6K :)

Why is the keyboard on DUNE starting at C0 and not C1?
This is something I already found very confusing in Dune 1.

Chris

very good interface for blind guys like me, why not moving arp down to keyboard , fx bus etc?

Chris-S wrote:

Chris
Maybe it would help if there were two dedicated octave up and down buttons like on my hardware controller...
I never use that virtual keyboard, but I like the fact that it is velocity sensitive :)

Another potential pitfall: With large oscillator densities (say, over 10), if you're using an asymmetrical waveform (so either a pulse wave, or a sync-modified wave), you're getting a quite loud pop due to sudden DC offset buildup. You can correct that with a highpass filter in the filter FX, but it's something to be wary of.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

intro wrote:What is the exact error message you get?

The content is not installed into the same directories as the .vst/.component are, but automatically copied to the user's directory by the installer:
~/Music/Synapse Audio/DUNE 2/... (also please note that this is not the same folder as the root "/Music" directory, but a folder placed in your user's Home directory).

Please check if you see the content at there.
Indeed the Content folder was placed in the right spot as you stated above,
anyway it doesn't work! :? The Plug-In gives then 3 Error messages.

Thanks but I now uninstalled this crap. :(
Plug-Ins Instruments that don't have an easy installation find no place on my machine.
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Chris-S wrote:

Chris
Maybe it would help if there were two dedicated octave up and down buttons like on my hardware controller...
I never use that virtual keyboard, but I like the fact that it is velocity sensitive :)
wow! ..and even more confusing: do you recognize that dune2 keyboard only have 4 full octaves? very confusing because my hardware keyboard have way more.. :roll:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Return to “Instruments”