DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

Could the MSEGs be enhanced in some way in the future? Take, for example, the graphic multipoint envelopes on Image-Line's Harmor, that allow different kinds of curves and shapes to join the points..or allow to set the points as the beginning of the decay and release stages...or have the ability to 'snap' points to the grid, 'slide' points, the ability to draw by hand the shape of the envelope with a 'step' mode...I don't know...I think there's room for improvement in this area.

Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Thu May 15, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Yorrrrrr wrote:Could the MSEGs be enhanced in some way?
Pretty sure there will be some enhancements over time. At least I hope so, like you.

Yorrrrrr wrote:Could the MSEGs be enhanced in some way? Take, for example, the graphic multipoint envelopes on Image-Line's Harmor, that allow different kinds of curves and shapes to join them..

grab the line between points and move it around for diff curves

Furthermore you can set MSEGs to trigger exclusively on key release (Set Mode to "Note off" instead of "Note On"). This allows you to do pretty much anything in the release stage.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Kriminal wrote:
Yorrrrrr wrote:Could the MSEGs be enhanced in some way? Take, for example, the graphic multipoint envelopes on Image-Line's Harmor, that allow different kinds of curves and shapes to join them..

The only curve shape I manage to make look like a hockey stick, with the bend close to the one of the points, which one depends on direction of the line and direction of the pull.

Richard_Synapse wrote:Furthermore you can set MSEGs to trigger exclusively on key release (Set Mode to "Note off" instead of "Note On"). This allows you to do pretty much anything in the release stage.

Richard
Yes, indeed. I did not notice that haha :dog: But..in that case, I guess I would have to use 2 MSEGs...one 'Key on' for the attack and decay stages, and one 'key off' for the release stage, to mimic the envelope I posted above.

I'm starting to grasp the concept on these MSEGs. It's just that I'm used to Harmor style envelopes, which are amazingly powerful.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Thu May 15, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

dentnile wrote:
Kriminal wrote:

The only curve shape I manage to make look like a hockey stick, with the bend close to the one of the points, which one depends on direction of the line and direction of the pull.

the curve is relative to the position of the points. It can only curve in a certain way. If they are on a similar lever you will get that effect.Try moving the points up/down and then moving the curves around

I'm 99.9% sure the stepping isn't coming from my controller. All other synths in my collection (and I have dozens) have no audible stepping with pitchbending or MIDI modulation*. You can hear Diva in my audio example, no audible stepping with the pitchbend. That was recorded in the same environment.

The stepping also happens when you use pressure to modulate stuff. I was modulating sync freq with after touch and it was responding terribly. It sounds like it's sampling MIDI modulation about 6 times a second and then interpolating. That isn't really fast enough and I like the idea of being able to increase this! :)

Having a variable samplerate for MIDI modulation is also a nice idea in general, because you can use it to get sample+hold effects and chip-style modulation. That would actually turn this problem into a positive and it's a feature I'd like to see on more synths.

* the exception to this rule is of course, when you set such a wide range to be modulated, that the MIDI resolution of 128 values becomes audible. This isn't a synth design problem but a MIDI spec one.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Teksonik wrote:I also get the stepping when using the pitch bend on DUNE 2's gui as well as when using my Axiom contoller but I never use a pitch bend wheel slowly enough to notice any stepping and rarely use a bend range more than +2 -2 probably due to the fact that I'm primarily a guitar player at this point so bending up/down a whole tone is natural. I can't think of a case where I'd need to slowly increase or decrease pitch enough to notice the stepping but I see Rich has offered a solution so everybody should find a setting they like............. :)
Actually, it's quick modulation that fails at the moment. Slow ramps of pitch or any other modulation will get smoothed over by Dune's interpolation, and the relatively low samplerate can catch the contour. It's when you need a quick modulation, like a sync sweep controlled by midi, that the system currently falls down, IMO.

I rarely use pitchbends of an octave or more, but for other modulation types, I like to push it as far as I can go :party:

Also, for clarity, I haven't had a problem with stepping in Dune 2's knobs, GUI or internal modulation. It's just the MIDI modulation.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Here's a final example. Both of these sounds are Dune 2. The first one is me moving the sync knob on a basic sawtooth patch. The second one is me modulating the sync frequency with aftertouch via the mod matrix. The difference is day and night :)

https://soundcloud.com/sendy/dunesteps-2

I can confirm the issue with Aftertouch to Sync Freq here. Sounds like Rich is working on a solution...... :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Knob movements via mouse (or MIDI controller) have their own smoothing, that should be fine. Aftertouch smoothing needs some work it seems, will be fixed soon.

Regarding PB/MW, forgot to add a good buffer size is important, something like 256-512 samples should be ideal, and give a swift and smooth response already. For those who want yet more smoothing we'll probably add an option as I wrote earlier :)

Richard

I will ask again .
Dune 2 demo ...when the gui is showing ...windows taskmanager is showing a constant 99 ´% cpu usage ..
Only when gui is showing ...
Runnning on win xp sp 3
anyone else ..
Developer ???
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

What are your system specs (processor, audio card/driver), and which host software do you use ?

Richard

Is following possible with Dune2?

Simple delay of one beat. Initial sound 100% left, one bar (1/1) delayed signal 100% right.
I experimented with PingPong delay, but first delayed signal is always on same side as inital signal (feedback=zero).

Chris

Return to “Instruments”