DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

Okay, 2 pieces of info in this post. The first is a write-up on how to convert a Serum wavetable to a WT file. It's really stupidly easy and I tested it in Dune 2 and it works fine. The 2nd piece of info is a little review of Dune 2, which another member asked me to do as a favor. So don't shoot the messenger. :lol:

Let's start with the Audio Term stuff. Here's the step by step instructions on how to convert a Serum wavetable to a Dune 2 wavetable.

Step 1 - Make sure the Serum wavetable you want to convert is in the Serum wavetable folder in your Audio Term folder. I have no idea how to change paths in this software so you'll need to move all files you want to convert to the default path which should be marked as Serum in your Windows explorer or whatever file system MAC uses.

Step 2 - Start up Audio Term.

Step 3 - Click on KTERM.

Step 4 - Click on DISK.

Step 5 - Click on F_TYPE

Step 6 - Click on ->10. That's the Serum file type. After you do that, you'll see all the Serum files come up. Yours should be among them.

Step 7 - Click on the file you want to load and then click LOAD. You'll see a graphical representation of the file.

Step 8 - Click on DISK.

Step 9 - Click on F_TYPE.

Step 10 - Click on ->9 which is the Dune 2 file type.

Step 11 - Click on SAVE.

Step 12 - Type in the name you want to save the file under.

Step 13 - Hit ENTER or click on RET.

Step 14 - Move the file from the Audio Term Dune 2 file directory to the wavetables folder in your Dune 2 path.

That's it. EZ-PZ.

Okay, item 2 up for bids. My "for what it's worth" review of Dune 2. This isn't going to be ridiculously in depth but it's going to cover what I feel are the main things. Please understand that this is just my opinion. Don't make any buying decisions off of what follows. Download the demo and decide for yourself based on your own experience.

Let's begin.

Interface

I love it. It's big enough so you can read everything crystal clear. They don't try to shove everything on one screen. There are multiple tabs. Lots of them. Some people don't like this system. I do. If you don't, you probably won't like this GUI. It's my personal favorite kind.

Oscillators

Initially, I was disappointed here. I felt they were trying to do too much and didn't do any one method (VA, WT, FM) really well. I still feel that, with the exception of WT, the other 2 could have been expanded on. But what I've discovered is that because of the overall architecture, this limitation is a minor point.

As to the sound of the oscillators, it's excellent. Very clean or gritty or whatever it is you're going for. And of course the detune and density make up for a lot of shortcomings. No complaints here.

Filters

This is where I am very picky and compare everything to the MS-20. The filters in Dune 2 are good. They're not great. No self oscillation and the range is slightly limited. There is not a lot of difference between the LP filter types. At least nothing that stands out. There is a decent selection but nothing earth shattering. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the Dune 2 filters an 8.

FX

I always felt like FX were something a synth maker threw on as an afterthought. For the most part, built in synth FX are meh. Dune 2's are actually one of the better ones. Nice variety and nice clean sound. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Dune 2's FX are some of the best I've heard. Of course this isn't saying much as synth FX in general just aren't that good. Still, I give these a solid 8. But use your own FX if you want really great FX. You won't get it from any synth.

Voice Architecture

This is the ball game. This is where this synth just blows away so many other synths. It wasn't until I dug into this section that I truly understood what this synth was capable of.

You have 8 voices. Each one can be programmed as if it were a different synth patch. That translates to either some ridiculously fat stacked sounds or some ridiculously complex sounds that you can't get from many other synths. Maybe Zebra 2 can do this sort of stuff but even it is limited to some extent. You'd really have to go modular to do the things that this synth can do.

The downside to this is that programming your "dream" patch can take a good hour, or more. You'll need to do a lot of soloing of voices during the programming stage in order to make sure each voice is just the way you want it.

See, each voice can have its own oscillators, filters and envelopes. Plus, each voice can be modulated individually via the mod matrix, which I will go over last. The only thing that's global (kind of a disappointment) is the FX. Would have been great to be able to program them per voice but I guess you can't have everything.

In short, this voice architecture is the core and the key to Dune's unique sound.

Modulation Matrix

You have 32 slots where you can designate Source (mod wheel, LFO, etc), Amt (+100 to -100), Destination (tons) and Voice (1-8 or all).

Going into the mod matrix in detail would take a book, so I won't. Suffice it to say, it's powerful as hell. There are a few parameters you can't modulate such as oscillator density. I think they really dropped the ball here. What a great way to evolve a thin sound to a great big fat one. But, oh well. Like I said, you can't have everything.

What you're able to do with the mod matrix is more than ample enough. I give it a solid 10.

ARP/MSEG

Between these two things, you can get some really funky rhythms out of this thing. They take a while to get used to (especially the MSEGs) if you've never used one before. Dune 2's ARP isn't the easiest to program. It is far from my favorite. But if you take the time to learn it, it can be quite versatile. To be fair, most ARPs are a programming nightmare. Either they're too complex (XILS 4) or they just don't do enough (take your pick of synths). Dune 2's kind of falls somewhere in the middle. But it's good enough to do what an ARP essentially is there to do.

This synth looks deceptively simple and weak. It is not. It's a beast when you dive into it. It is not easy to program. You really need to take your time with it. However, the presets it comes with are excellent. So if you're not into programming you'll at least have sounds to work with. It's not the most generous synth as far as patches go. I think there is only something like 400, which is very small by today's standards. I'm surprised to hear that there aren't many 3rd party banks out there, which kind of makes me wonder how popular this synth is.

Overall, on a scale of 1 to 10, I give this synth a solid 9. Considering I have only a handful of synths I'd give a 10 to, Zebra 2 being one of them, that's pretty darn good.

Anyway, I hope this review was somewhat helpful. If anybody has any specific questions on Dune 2, I'll be happy to answer them as honestly as I can.

Suffice it to say, I was initially very wrong about this synth.

It fooled me big time.

Wicked workaround for converting Serum wavetables to Dune 2. I shall definitely be trying this out. Also, I've got a set of banks with 300 or so presets for Dune 2 that I've been working on, so watch out for those.
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

Bring them on, more DUNE 2 soundbanks are definitely needed. Too few on the market.

I'll put up some demos tomorrow and design some graphics over the next couple of days.
So expect this to be happening sometime next week. You're quite right, there really isn't enough in terms of third party banks for Dune 2. Probably because it's a lot deeper than people think and more difficult to program, than say, something like Sylenth. I bought Serum at about the same time, but I've actually used Dune 2 more. Which would seem contra the general consensus. Although I have been getting into Serum a bit more of late. Dune 2 is every bit as good though and deserves a higher profile.
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

yemski wrote:I'll put up some demos tomorrow and design some graphics over the next couple of days.
So expect this to be happening sometime next week. You're quite right, there really isn't enough in terms of third party banks for Dune 2. Probably because it's a lot deeper than people think and more difficult to program, than say, something like Sylenth. I bought Serum at about the same time, but I've actually used Dune 2 more. Which would seem contra the general consensus. Although I have been getting into Serum a bit more of late. Dune 2 is every bit as good though and deserves a higher profile.
Excellent! Love your Albino sounds and just got the huge Predator bank as well.
Looking forward to feeding Dune2 some yummy Yemski sounds.

Thanks wagtunes

:tu:

Here's some demos of a forthcoming soundset I've created for Dune 2.
It comprises 240 patches, with 76 arps, 25, sequences, 50 pads, 40 leads and 49 basses. With an expected release sometime next week.
There are a wide variety of sounds suitable for EDM, IDM, Drum and Bass, Film scoring, game/media work and anything else you can imagine.
Check them out and tell me what you think

https://soundcloud.com/yemski/dune-2-sounds
Last edited by yemski on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

OMG, DUNE 2 sounding amazing. Can't wait for your soundbank.

wagtunes wrote:Step 1 - Make sure the Serum wavetable you want to convert is in the Serum wavetable folder in your Audio Term folder. I have no idea how to change paths in this software so you'll need to move all files you want to convert to the default path which should be marked as Serum in your Windows explorer or whatever file system MAC uses.

Step 3 - Click on KTERM.

Step 4 - Click on DISK.

Step 5 - Click on F_TYPE

Step 6 - Click on ->10. That's the Serum file type. After you do that, you'll see all the Serum files come up. Yours should be among them.

Step 7 - Click on the file you want to load and then click LOAD. You'll see a graphical representation of the file.

Step 8 - Click on DISK.

Step 11 - Click on SAVE.

Step 14 - Move the file from the Audio Term Dune 2 file directory to the wavetables folder in your Dune 2 path.

That's it. EZ-PZ.

i found that any Serum WT i put in the Serum folder was not seen by the program. I had to place it in the Samples folder.

After Step7, you have to press 'analyze' then 'apply' to be able to save...is this correct? I ask because although i can then save as a Dune WT, i looks nothing like the original file does...

Kriminal wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Step 1 - Make sure the Serum wavetable you want to convert is in the Serum wavetable folder in your Audio Term folder. I have no idea how to change paths in this software so you'll need to move all files you want to convert to the default path which should be marked as Serum in your Windows explorer or whatever file system MAC uses.

Step 3 - Click on KTERM.

Step 4 - Click on DISK.

Step 5 - Click on F_TYPE

Step 8 - Click on DISK.

Step 11 - Click on SAVE.

That's it. EZ-PZ.

i found that any Serum WT i put in the Serum folder was not seen by the program. I had to place it in the Samples folder.

After Step7, you have to press 'analyze' then 'apply' to be able to save...is this correct? I ask because although i can then save as a Dune WT, i looks nothing like the original file does...
Not sure. I'll have to retest.

Yorrrrrr wrote:OMG, DUNE 2 sounding amazing. Can't wait for your soundbank.
Thanks for the props.

Astralp wrote:I've finally got Dune 2 this week and I'm absolutely blown away by it. I'm working on a preset collection and here's some improvisations with a few of the presets I have so far. These are just playing the presets using aftertouch/Mod Wheel and Pitch Wheel assignments with no further processing or gui tweaking etc..

These are Mellow Ones, Guitarish, Choralish and Stringish etc...

https://soundcloud.com/astralp/dune-2-mellow-presets

Rhythmic presets and get more electronic after the 1st one.

https://soundcloud.com/astralp/dune-2-rhythmic-presets

Good work. I especially liked the Arp stuff. It put me in my mind of the sort of sounds you'd hear driving away in an 80's action thriller or Sci-Fi film. Bit of a Tangerine Dream Vibe going on there. Cool stuff.

Audio-Term was written for Terratec Komplexer and was not meant as conversion tool. I only implemented other formats because some users wanted to work with their old Komplexer wavetables in other (newer) synths. Using AT for Serum -> Dune2 conversion or something similar won't work. This is also mentioned in the 3 - page pdf file.
The wavetables generated by the KTERM wavetable generator can be used with the following products (other products may also work):

Terratec Komplexer (direct *.WT format support)
ImageLine Harmor (import *.WT file as image to Harmor)
Vemberaudio Surge (direct *.WT format support)
VAZ Modular /2010 (direct format support)
Wusik Wusikstation (use loop position modulation on a KTERM wavetable)
Camel Audio Alchemy (import KTERM wavetable as *.WAV)
Native Instruments Reaktor (use loop position modulation on a KTERM wavetable)
Waldorf Blofeld (direct *.SYX format support)
Ensoniq Eps16+ (direct *.EFE format support)
Ensoniq ASR series (direct *.EFE format support)
PPG WaveGenerator (direct *.wts format support)
Synapse Audio Dune2 (direct *.WT format support)
Xfer Serum (direct format support)

Due to different wavetable implementations, direct format support is limited to files
generated by Audio-Term. Do not alter/overwrite KTERM wavetable files in another
editor.
Maybe this text is still to long or my - indeed poor - english is that bad... :?:

Here again a quote, which tells you something about the concept and usage of the KTERM wavetable generator:

AT consists of different sections, KTERM<> is the one for creating "classic" wavetables for Dune2, serum, Komplexer and some other products.

KTERM<> is an additive synth: 33 slots with 64 bipolar sine partials each. It's an emulation of the Terratec Komplexer wavetable osc, all other formats are derived from that model.

I chose this model because it has the right ratio of data amount and quality. Further many products beside Komplexer can use the results (converting wavetables which make full use of proprietary features of a certain product is much more difficult than converting normal audio data for different samplers).

AT has an automated file recognition and sorting system. It can distinguish a Komplexer *.WT file from a Dune2 *.WT file or from a Surge *.WT file... . Different file types are stored in different directories to keep track of which *.WT file belongs to a certain synth. Damaged and/or unknown formats are moved to a special 'recycle bin' folder (button RECBIN<> in the start page, here you get also information about the error).

Further the sound data folders can be individually moved to an abritrary location (because some synths require their files stored to a developer-defined location). This moving can be done using UTILITY<> and then selcting the PATHS<> page.

Regarding the proprietary wavetable formats (Surge, WaveGenerator, Dune2, EPS/ASR, Blofeld): AT can only load it's own files. This is a required limitation, because the formats are VERY different (in data type, size, content, number of slots). All of these formats hold special synthesis data for reloading and instant playback in the browser pages. In some cases this additional dataset is encoded in the wavetable data itself (Blofeld, Komplexer). In other cases it's appended. Editing these files outside Audio-Term will destroy these data, so don't try that if you want to reload them later in AT.

Regarding the GUI: The lower button row holds the main pages and the playback buttons. The upper row holds the functions of a page and further sub pages / input options ( in that case the button name has an <> appendix)

The KTERM main pages:

SYSTEM<>

Here you can access the playback volume and playback speed of a wavetable. you also can empty all loaded data in RAM using FLUSH.

DISK<>

Depending on the file type you have different options. For all files you can switch the pages, search for a file name (FIND<>), rename and delete a file. You further can switch between the directories of the different file types using F_TYPE<> and call the windows explorer to get direct and full access to the current directory.

Further options depend on the file type. Wavetable files can be loaded directly, samples have to be analysed first. Single cycle waves are loaded from the assembling page ASSEM<> (see below).

VIEW<>

Here you can have a look on the ram data in different modes (waveform and spectral data). Some eye candy...

SLICE<>

This is the slice editor. You have access to the 64 bipolar partials (log scaling). WDRAW<> is a sub menu to draw the content as wave. The drawing then is analyzed and resynthesized. TOOLS<> hold some makro options for the partials (like normalizing or inverting). You should try the buttons and see what happens - the app won't get broken. ;) If you don't like the result you see/hear, press UNDO - it keeps track of the last 512 changes of the partial data.

ASSEM<>

Here the single cycles and wavetables in the different directories are used as 'library' to assemble new wavetables. Select source and destination slice with the SRC and DST buttons and transfer the data with SRC>DST.

ENV<>

On this page you also have access to the partials (bipolar, log scale), this time not 64 of a slice but a single partial over 33 slices of a wavetable. This is the envelope of a partial. The selected one has a fat line, all others are represented by thin lines. Very similar to the harmonic envelopes of the Fairlight CMI. On complex sounds this can look annoying. In this circumstance you can use VIEW to focus on the selcted envelope.

TEF<>

This is a special page which holds a lot of sub functions regarding

- polarity of the partials (PLOAR<>),

- amplitude scaling (SCALE<>),

- slice reordering (ORDER<>),

- a filter (FILTER<> - basically an additional "filter" slice with 64 partials, an envelope for shifting and access to the 'library' on disk to import spectral data)

- a formant shifter (SHIFT<>),

- a generator for filling the table with symmetry-modulated waves (SYMOD<>),

- and the interpolation function (IPOL<>).

The latter is very flexible - the goal is alwas to create a fully filled table from waves on arbitrary positions - even from a single wave. There are two interpolation algorithms: IPOL simply fills empty slices. STRETCH+IPOL fills the table by scaling the time base, which can be important especially for analyzed samples.

Two further additions:

OPTIMIZE button:

KTERM has an internal resolution of +-127 steps, but the dynamic of a 64 partial additive engine is much larger. Too large to use it without artificial limiting, a saw would be 50 times the amplitude if a single sine. OPTIMIZE adapts the partials to the limited waveform amplitude. In most cases this can be done automatically, but sometimes manual correction is required to get the best results out of the limted dynamic range.

POL_LOCK button:

KTERM uses bipolar sine waves, which improves the quality especially on sample resynthesis (otherwise everything would have a 'sawtooth touch'). POL_LOCK tracks each of the 64 envelopes and corrects polarity jumps. In most cases this is usefull as it makes the spectral evolution over time more stable, but it changes the sound slightly. So whenever this button appears, you should try if it sounds better with or without POL_LOCK.
By the way this "messy looking" and "stupid behaving" program fits my personal needs and the technical circumstances of my setup, where AT is running with some extensions as shell on a special computer with a screen control interface. Honestly speaking I regret that I made it available to the public. I spent lots of money and years of work with nearly no support only to get such comments while payed developers sit back and say "we don't see a need at all / there's no money in it / we've got no free resources"? I had to learn DSP math and coding because there was no such application when I needed it. I'm sorry that the results aren't to everyones liking, but your are still free to use AT or wait for an official product or to build something better yourself.

OK, so it wont do what i needed. Thanks for explaining. I was misinformed

Hey fellow DUNE 2 enthusiasts, just came by to tell you version 2.5 is out now!!

http://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtopi ... 08#p112608

Return to “Instruments”