DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

I meant, if i was the developer of a synth.

Markus808 wrote:Yeah, Dune 2 has a great basic sound & the effects are awesome!

One question/suggestion to the developer(s): I've realized that if you press the sustain pedal on an arp sound, the arpeggio stops and only the preset itself is played. In my opinion it would be better that the arpeggio continued!

Is there a possibility to keep the arpeggio going with the sustain pedal pressed, or could you change this in the plugin?

Thanks in advance
Markus808
as a new owner of Dune 2 (bought during Christmas sales) - I wanted to re-explore this for Dune 2 to check whether it is my understanding of how the VST works or a genuine limitation

I can't either find a way to sustain Arps - and don't understand why would be designed this way - for my method of playing/workflow it makes it very very difficult to use

(1) how are you mean to change filters etc on the fly whilst playing Arps - if you use both hands for your chords etc - as soon as you say take the left hand off -that part of the Arp stops

(2) it seems to me very difficult to "perfect jump" every time - from chord to chord - this may be my playing skills - but if you don't jump completely perfectly you get a small gap from Arp trigger to arp trigger

surely if you play 6 notes - press sustain pedal - those 6 notes should sustain

if you held those 6 notes down the Arp would continue

so why not with sustain pedal ?

has this made me regret my purchase - yes

Buckster wrote: surely if you play 6 notes - press sustain pedal - those 6 notes should sustain
I agree, and even free syths like Synth1 can do it.

Orbit-50 wrote:
AnX wrote:Someone will always find an excuse to slag something off..
Obviously. I just finished pushing old ladies in front of oncoming traffic. Now what's left to do? This. :roll:
AnX wrote:He made the skin, his tiny logo doesnt affect its performance in any way.....
Show me where I said that it affected performance. Did you actually read what I wrote before you decided to troll my opinion? Real super hero you are.
AnX wrote:Look at that Synaspe logo...they must ave a massive ego!

They're the developers just in case you weren't aware. You might want to go another route if you're trying to make some kind of point with that statement. It didn't work. You should ask for some help next time.
AnX wrote:Seriously, get a life. Its a musical instrument, dont stare at it, make some noise.
In the future, I'll try real hard to change my perceptions to what some random little internet troll wants me too, or thinks I should perceive.
I wouldn't take it too personally. I've noticed most of his comments are on the offensive, over a wide variety of topics. Easily irritated / quick to try and put people in their place.

Bump...
Just played with Dune 2 lately a lot again and it is again my favorite synth tool at the moment while i still explore it a bit more every day/week/month....
I will make another little (amateurish) patch bank which focus (but not only) on the FM OSC´s and audio rate modulation stuff. Kind of FM bells and bell pads and some crazy and weird FX trough audio rate modulations.
I find still that Dune 2 is very unique here since i don´t know any synth which lets me use and OSC with 32 detuned unison voices as modulator.
I mean i would need 32 detuned modules modulating the same source if i want to do similar stuff in a modular.....or so :D
Here is a crappy little improving on 6 of the patches. Every patch just use one of the 8 possible layers and even just one OSC mostly.
The FM OSC plus the filters can give me better results than i thought for a "simple" 3 OP FM.
I just started to dive deeper into it.
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/d ... nk-preview
Maybe i try to make also just a little bells, chimes, mallets patch bank for it.
Sure you can do that maybe better with famous FM synths but the unison engine on the FM is just awesome. I love Dune 2 and can´t wait to see what a version 3 could do.

Cinebient wrote:Bump...
The FM OSC plus the filters can give me better results than i thought for a "simple" 3 OP FM.
Maybe i try to make also just a little bells, chimes, mallets patch bank for it.
Sure you can do that maybe better with famous FM synths but the unison engine on the FM is just awesome. I love Dune 2 and can´t wait to see what a version 3 could do.
It packs a lot of synth features into its layout, it's more versatile than it looks, I am looking forward to what version 3 will offer above what it already does, which is great already.

projectdan wrote:
It packs a lot of synth features into its layout, it's more versatile than it looks, I am looking forward to what version 3 will offer above what it already does, which is great already.
I agree. And due to it´s very awesome modulation matrix which updates at audio rate i like it even more than some modulars for a few things.
I also can´t wait for the new cinematic sound bank. EDM and trance is just a fraction of what Dune 2 can do :D

Cinebient wrote:
projectdan wrote:
I agree. And due to it´s very awesome modulation matrix which updates at audio rate i like it even more than some modulars for a few things.
I also can´t wait for the new cinematic sound bank. EDM and trance is just a fraction of what Dune 2 can do :D
I very much like the MSEGs too. I wish there was an option as in Serum for its LFOs, whereby you could load various files in for steps/stages and other aspects of modulation. I'd say the same for Logic's Alchemy MSEGs & the Spire Steppers. They're all essentially doing something quite similar, if not identical. Serum's might be the most flexible, or at least the easiest to use, though you do sacrifice traditional LFO's unless precisely replicated. However, the other three will thus have more Modulation Sources & Targets in total. There are up to four LFOs in Serum that generally act as MSEGs.
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

A few more Dune 2 sounds...
Here f.e. 2 bell patches played solo one after one:
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/d ... s-low-high
...and some percussions...3 patches here played with just a mono voice one after one and a bit of modwheel:
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/d ... ercussions

Cinebient wrote:
I wish the modulation matrix did not require scrolling

Also, I am spoiled now by synths that allow right click assign modulation and drag-n-drop. Dune 2 modulation is all still manually applied with menus.

pdxindy wrote:
Cinebient wrote:

Also, I am spoiled now by synths that allow right click assign modulation and drag-n-drop. Dune 2 modulation is all still manually applied with menus.
That's true. I also wish a next version will have improvements here but otherwise it is the most versatile and powerful mod-matrix of any synth i own (beside modulars which doesn't need that of course) or aware of.

Cinebient wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Cinebient wrote:

That's true. I also wish a next version will have improvements here but otherwise it is the most versatile and powerful mod-matrix of any synth i own (beside modulars which doesn't need that of course) or aware of.
I'd add that Alchemy 2's Mod Matrix in Logic is also quite versatile and powerful, and it might have even more Sources & Targets overall, particularly if you take into account the Performance Matrix. However, the downside is that it's not like a command and control center whereby all the various modulations are centralized in one view on one screen. Rather, it's in one location screen-to-screen. This could actually be viewed as an upside, though it's sorted by Target so it can get a bit more convoluted.

For all intents and purposes it is extremely flexible, and it also has the MSEGs & the ARPs/Sequencers split out as separate Sources. Interestingly, it refers to the MSEGs as Envelopes (it's all in the name) whereas they're LFOs in Serum (based on Xfer's LFO Tool.) They can be Synced or Triggered, so it's the same functionality more or less.

Alchemy 2's Browser is seriously superior, and this applies across Dune 2, Spire, and Serum. Hive's is close.
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

musiclover55547 wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Cinebient wrote:

I'd add that Alchemy 2's Mod Matrix in Logic is also quite versatile and powerful, and it might have even more Sources & Targets overall, particularly if you take into account the Performance Matrix. However, the downside is that it's not like a command and control center whereby all the various modulations are centralized in one view on one screen. Rather, it's in one location screen-to-screen. This could actually be viewed as an upside, though it's sorted by Target so it can get a bit more convoluted.

For all intents and purposes it is extremely flexible, and it also has the MSEGs & the ARPs/Sequencers split out as separate Sources. Interestingly, it refers to the MSEGs as Envelopes (it's all in the name) whereas they're LFOs in Serum (based on Xfer's LFO Tool.) They can be Synced or Triggered, so it's the same functionality more or less.

Alchemy 2's Browser is seriously superior, and this applies across Dune 2, Spire, and Serum. Hive's is close.
I like Alchemy and especially the morphing between snapshots.
But what i miss are OSC as modulation sources.
Also updating modulation at audio rate is not there. Even the LFO's sounding just like terrible noise if you drive them very fast.
Here Dune 2 is great!
Of course i have a few wishes for Dune 3.....if there will be version 3 in the future.

pdxindy wrote:
Cinebient wrote:

Its prob quicker, and less error prone that way.

You would have to make sure you have the correct layer selected before chosing a global LFO or MSEG etc.

I've been holding out for a sale on Dune 2 for a few months, but apparently no easter sale this year.
(I have and love The Legend and based on the demo would like to own Dune 2 as well).

Return to “Instruments”