DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

Credit where it is due, in my most recent track Dune2 made an appearance in the intro. It surprised me a very nice percussive sound. I was trying for something else and it just appeared and I was pleased with what I heard. Dune 2 is obviously very capable.... but as individuals we just have preferences and that is normal.

It takes time to find what synth is good for what, especially when you have a 15 + synth inventory it is going to take quite a few tunes to learn and know each in what could even be determined as reasonable depth.

I think this approach is healthy and good for textural variation. Of course we all have different means. The last track I made had in excess of 100 tracks in the DAW. That means nothing of quality I know, but we live in very fortunate times when it comes to music making. We are extremely fortunate.

You can see SSL consoles that this track could not have been made on ! We would have been paying $1,500.00 + a day. A track might have cost $8,000.00 to make. (And in no way does is this meant to demean the experience and knowldge of the recording, mix and mastering engineers who manned (and womanned) the studios, their skill and experience actually often irreplacable in fact.)

(not forgetting the many talented record producers)

But for creativity, we can have it all now for very little outlay.

We can have virtually every major softsynth that exists for $4,000.00 and get 5-10 years or more out of them. Knowing you are not paying mad $$$ is much more enjoyable and fun and you can explore the depths of your creativity over time at your own pace. Life enhancing stuff.

We have it good, very good !

I'm down to 4 synths, a drum seq, two delays and two reverbs. Three eq's and three compressors, and a filter plugin and I'm happier then I've ever been.

Dune2 is one of them.

Whatever rocks your world !

Synthman2000 wrote:Credit where it is due, in my most recent track Dune2 made an appearance in the intro. It surprised me a very nice percussive sound. I was trying for something else and it just appeared and I was pleased with what I heard. Dune 2 is obviously very capable.... but as individuals we just have preferences and that is normal.

It takes time to find what synth is good for what, especially when you have a 15 + synth inventory it is going to take quite a few tunes to learn and know each in what could even be determined as reasonable depth.

I think this approach is healthy and good for textural variation. Of course we all have different means. The last track I made had in excess of 100 tracks in the DAW. That means nothing of quality I know, but we live in very fortunate times when it comes to music making. We are extremely fortunate.

You can see SSL consoles that this track could not have been made on ! We would have been paying $1,500.00 + a day. A track might have cost $8,000.00 to make. (And in no way does is this meant to demean the experience and knowldge of the recording, mix and mastering engineers who manned (and womanned) the studios, their skill and experience actually often irreplacable in fact.)

(not forgetting the many talented record producers)

But for creativity, we can have it all now for very little outlay.

We can have virtually every major softsynth that exists for $4,000.00 and get 5-10 years or more out of them. Knowing you are not paying mad $$$ is much more enjoyable and fun and you can explore the depths of your creativity over time at your own pace. Life enhancing stuff.

We have it good, very good !
I agree 100%. We are so lucky, we are spoiled. When I first started recording in 1977, I had a 4 channel Teac A3440 reel to reel (go look it up folks) and if I wanted to do more than 4 tracks I had to stop at 3, bounce the 3 to track 4, then go on. Of course each time you did this, the sound degraded more and more.

Synths, keyboards?

I had a Hohner Stringvox, a Moog Sonic Six, and shortly after an ARP AXXE that set me back about $2300. Add the tape recorder, mixer and other stuff and it was close to 5 grand before I blinked an eye.

Today, 5 grand is more than enough to do studio quality work as long as you have some talent.

Yeah, we're real spoiled.

Sure, these days are good if you want a cheap entree in music creation.
People can do professional productions on smartphones and tablets these days with some awesome apps which seems to be the next step for even less money since they mostly just 1/10 of the price of desktop tools and often offer the same or even you get the same tools for 1/10 and no piracy (iOS at least).
But this "everything for a dollar" mentality might be not so good at all. When consumers are the market where the money goes there might be no place for "pro" tools anymore.
We will see how it goes.
I don't care which OS, which device or software i have to use as long as it makes me happy and i can do what i want and can afford it.

Cinebient wrote:People can do professional productions on smartphones and tablets these days with some awesome apps which seems to be the next step for even less money since they mostly just 1/10 of the price of desktop tools and often offer the same or even you get the same tools for 1/10 and no piracy (iOS at least).
Well you could also write a novel on a smartphone, the question is whether this is a good way to do it. Certainly mobile platforms have become impressive in terms of CPU and graphic features, the limiting factor will always be the interface though. Working on a large monitor (let alone multiple monitors) plus MIDI gear etc is just something completely different from working on a smartphone.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Working with a smarter brain is quite often underestimated :wink:
No auto tune...

Richard_Synapse wrote:
Cinebient wrote:People can do professional productions on smartphones and tablets these days with some awesome apps which seems to be the next step for even less money since they mostly just 1/10 of the price of desktop tools and often offer the same or even you get the same tools for 1/10 and no piracy (iOS at least).
Well you could also write a novel on a smartphone, the question is whether this is a good way to do it. Certainly mobile platforms have become impressive in terms of CPU and graphic features, the limiting factor will always be the interface though. Working on a large monitor (let alone multiple monitors) plus MIDI gear etc is just something completely different from working on a smartphone.

Richard
I agree but especially the GUI's are more innovative there mostly and really optimized. A lot desktop plug-ins even are not ready for high resolution screens.
Of course it's more useful on tablets as smartphones.
In days where there are no really innovations in sounds the GUI is the most interesting part for me. Of course i don't use a multi-monitor set-up which is another thing.
However, i use both and see plus and contra there.
Like i said, i think even most apps are just too cheap and makes desktop plug-ins looks too expensive often (even if they are not).
Still waiting for the first Synapse Audio app :D

Cinebient wrote:I agree but especially the GUI's are more innovative there mostly and really optimized. A lot desktop plug-ins even are not ready for high resolution screens.
Of course it's more useful on tablets as smartphones.
That's true, apps are typically vectorized or 3D, so they will run on any resolution which is a nice feature. On desktops a fixed resolution is much more common, at least when it comes to plugins. A fixed resolution is fine when it is high enough (and can be scaled down), but often this is not the case, so many plugins ultimately need an update here.
Cinebient wrote:Still waiting for the first Synapse Audio app :D
Maybe after DUNE 3 :)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard_Synapse wrote:

Richard
I was hoping for another analogue emulation after the success of The Legend :cry:

EnGee wrote:
Richard_Synapse wrote:

Richard
I was hoping for another analogue emulation after the success of The Legend :cry:
How many more of them do we need? :?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
EnGee wrote:
Richard_Synapse wrote:

Richard
As many as possible! If you like "The Legend", then you would be looking for more ;)

recursive one wrote:
EnGee wrote:
Richard_Synapse wrote:

Richard

The thing about the IOS devices is that they are perfectly usable. You just plug a usb keyboard into them and then use a high end audio mixer, but they will still sound like an IOS device at this point where they have that digital glitch to the sound with a lot of high overtones and not a lot of depth. young people grew up on iphone sound though and don't really care one way or the other about the sound anymore as long as they can get high hit a button and look cool though. It sound "normal" now. It's great fun though. I traveled and made tracks a lot with the ipad one when it was released. Had a blast and felt very creative as it's such a hands on device. It is a different beast all together though. You play an IOS device more like an organ.

As far as analog emulations, if you are not going to care, then don't bother. We need new instruments.

Dasheesh wrote:The thing about the IOS devices is that they are perfectly usable. You just plug a usb keyboard into them and then use a high end audio mixer, but they will still sound like an IOS device at this point where they have that digital glitch to the sound with a lot of high overtones and not a lot of depth. young people grew up on iphone sound though and don't really care one way or the other about the sound anymore as long as they can get high hit a button and look cool though. It sound "normal" now. It's great fun though. I traveled and made tracks a lot with the ipad one when it was released. Had a blast and felt very creative as it's such a hands on device. It is a different beast all together though. You play an IOS device more like an organ.

As far as analog emulations, if you are not going to care, then don't bother. We need new instruments.
I disagree (in some points). The sound quality of some apps are on par with the latest and greatest on desktop. F.e. the coming Zeeon synth sounds good like The Legend and Repro-1 for me without emulating exactly a specific model but will include circuit modeling from different famous filters, OSC, FX etc. plus a modern modulation matrix.
It could even be my new favorite for vintage sound since i already find Dagger the best sounding mono synth pre FX and this is polyphonic Dagger on steroids.
Others like ArpOdyssei and Model 15 are already sounds good (but not as good as Zeeon i think).
FX are not so good on iOS yet but synths will catch up (or already are on par).
But it´s all bit off topic, sorry.
Dune 2 is already fantastic and Dune 3 will be even better then :D (but please please add tuning support).

Return to “Instruments”