DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

fmr wrote:
Cinebient wrote: (also i still get much more if i resell them later too).
This is a myth!
I accept of course if you think everything i say is garbage but it´s just my experience i made in reality rather than things i heard or read somewhere.
I don´t say it´s a fact for everyone of course. It´s just my personal experience while i am/was using all these different tools, OS and devices in the last few years.

Richard_Synapse wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I doubt it, there are certain physical limitations to conventional processors and there is nothing yet to replace them anytime soon. Maybe 30 years from now...
Sure there is limitations, but I don't believe in stagnation of CPU performance until it actually happens for a sustained period of time. There's a number of ways to gain performance even after hitting physical limitations, e.g. by optimizing the processors as such, by simply adding more cores, by introducing more clever technologies like SSE/AVX etc.

Richard
I didn't say there was stagnation. I was referring to your expectation of a 10-fold performance increase. I think we have to go back quite some time to determine the most powerful processor at the time that had 1/10th of the performance of modern top processors.

I don't know how it works in terms of programming, but I suppose there are also limits to splitting processes into various threads in order to make use of more cores.

fmr wrote:
This is a myth!
I still got a shitload of money for a 1-core, pretty deprecated Macbook, when i sold it for a relative, and it was sold like an hour after i listed it on eBay. So, i'd say Cinebient surely has a point there. Macs definitely have a great resale value. Whether it makes sense to buy such a dated device, and pay so much for it, is another thing. :P

chk071 wrote:
fmr wrote:
This is a myth!
I still got a shitload of money for a 1-core, pretty deprecated Macbook, when i sold it for a relative, and it was sold like an hour after i listed it on eBay. So, i'd say Cinebient surely has a point there. Macs definitely have a great resale value. Whether it makes sense to buy such a dated device, and pay so much for it, is another thing. :P
Well, I use Macs since the time of the Mac SE30, and the last time I got an offer for a Mac (it was a Power Mac 1.25 mirror door - the last model that was still able to boot from OS 9), I got like € 400,00 - and this from a real Macoid, one of those that keeps saying Macs have great resale value :roll:

That's why I never resold a Mac. The last one I get rind of (a Power Mac G4 400) I simply gave it away to a young guy that was startng in music. All the others I kept to myself.

So, I told him "no thanks" and kept the Mac up to today. I still have, and I can still boot on OS 9 and remember the old days. So, I am talking for my own personal experience. Every time I see those ads trying to seel iPhones and iPads, and I see the prices asked, I can't stop laugh... I guess that, if people really buy them at those prices, they simply know nothing about what they are buying.

All this Apple bullshit is surrounded by myths and mist. And I know what I'm talking about since I am an Apple user since the times when Apple as still a small company.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
chk071 wrote:
fmr wrote:
This is a myth!
Well, I use Macs since the time of the Mac SE30, and the last time I got an offer for a Mac (it was a Power Mac 1.25 mirror door - the last model that was still able to boot from OS 9), I got like € 400,00 - and this from a real Macoid, one of those that keeps saying Macs have great resale value :roll:

That's why I never resold a Mac. The last one I get rind of (a Power Mac G4 400) I simply gave it away to a young guy that was startng in music. All the others I kept to myself.

So, I told him "no thanks" and kept the Mac up to today. I still have, and I can still boot on OS 9 and remember the old days. So, I am talking for my own personal experience. Every time I see those ads trying to seel iPhones and iPads, and I see the prices asked, I can't stop laugh... I guess that, if people really buy them at those prices, they simply know nothing about what they are buying.

All this Apple bullshit is surrounded by myths and mist. And I know what I'm talking about since I am an Apple user since the times when Apple as still a small company.
You know, everyone in the www knows what he/she is talking about and the rest of the world knows it better.
Can we agree that we mostly not agree based on personal experience, preferences, different prices of different locations we are at, things can change very fast and and and.
As we know, we can use what we want and value or a good workflow is not the same for everyone.
I believe you what you say....for you...but believe me that i have another experience based on my own little life :D
Let´s get back to more important things and enjoy the life (before it´s over).
Like i said in another thread, i still much prefer my notebook and desktop plug-ins but those mobile apps are a great entree for a lot people who makes first steps in creating their own music and it´s also great to some which get tired and want to get away from sitting in front of big monitors and using a mouse for input.
Let´s try again to get back to topic (my fault too, i know) since those discussions anyway are endless and no one is right or wrong.....Dune 2 is great! :D
Have a nice day.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I didn't say there was stagnation. I was referring to your expectation of a 10-fold performance increase. I think we have to go back quite some time to determine the most powerful processor at the time that had 1/10th of the performance of modern top processors.
I'd say about 15 years, when the Pentium was standard. Clock frequency was much lower, there was only a single core, etc. When Intel releases a new CPU that is only e.g. 10% faster than the previous one, it sometimes feels as if there is little progress, but over a longer time span the progress has always been substantial so far. Certainly great innovations will be needed though for another tenfold increase.
fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't know how it works in terms of programming, but I suppose there are also limits to splitting processes into various threads in order to make use of more cores.
This used to be a problem when the thread switching was somewhat slow, but since the Sandy Bridge generation this is no longer an issue. Thread switching happens on the order of microseconds, rather than milliseconds which would be a problem for real-time audio applications.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

What i would love to see in Dune 3 would be a kind of patch morphing (ala´Alchemy, and no...Kore2 is dead and won´t do it for me) and XY pads. Or better XYZ pads where i also can use pressure (f.e. via force touch trackpads etc.).
Sound wise most desktop plug-ins are fantastic and won´t make any big jumps but for performance there is much place left.

chk071 wrote:I still got a shitload of money for a 1-core, pretty deprecated Macbook, when i sold it for a relative, and it was sold like an hour after i listed it on eBay. So, i'd say Cinebient surely has a point there. Macs definitely have a great resale value. Whether it makes sense to buy such a dated device, and pay so much for it, is another thing. :P
Yes they seem to do better than PCs. Since the prices are so high to begin with, however, the loss in absolute terms is probably the same or higher after a couple of years.

Richard

Can we get spectral filter in Dune 3 ? Similar like Spectral synth with filter offset (LP from +6 to 24), frequency and resonance. If in Dune 3 will be option to have two filters, I can imagine to experiment with two Spectral filters.
And step modulator - something like MSEG but instead lines are steps. Or allow change line in to step in MSEG.

Oberheim 8000 wrote:Can we get spectral filter in Dune 3 ? Similar like Spectral synth with filter offset (LP from +6 to 24), frequency and resonance. If in Dune 3 will be option to have two filters, I can imagine to experiment with two Spectral filters.
Just to clarify, you mean the Linplug synth Spectral correct?

Richard

Richard_Synapse wrote:
chk071 wrote:I still got a shitload of money for a 1-core, pretty deprecated Macbook, when i sold it for a relative, and it was sold like an hour after i listed it on eBay. So, i'd say Cinebient surely has a point there. Macs definitely have a great resale value. Whether it makes sense to buy such a dated device, and pay so much for it, is another thing. :P
Yes they seem to do better than PCs. Since the prices are so high to begin with, however, the loss in absolute terms is probably the same or higher after a couple of years.

Richard
True that.

Richard_Synapse wrote:
Oberheim 8000 wrote:Can we get spectral filter in Dune 3 ? Similar like Spectral synth with filter offset (LP from +6 to 24), frequency and resonance. If in Dune 3 will be option to have two filters, I can imagine to experiment with two Spectral filters.
Just to clarify, you mean the Linplug synth Spectral correct?

Richard
Yes

chk071 wrote:
Richard_Synapse wrote:

Richard
True that.
But (at least for me) i get an awesome customer service from Apple if i have trouble or a faulty device, wherever i bought it.
With some other brands it is a nightmare and asking for support or easy replace of a device is very annoying.
At least my experience. :D

Cinebient wrote:But (at least for me) i get an awesome customer service from Apple if i have trouble or a faulty device, wherever i bought it.
With some other brands it is a nightmare and asking for support or easy replace of a device is very annoying.
True, I only needed their support once and it was great (and frankly unexpected for such a big company) :)

Richard

Cinebient wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Richard_Synapse wrote:

Richard
True that.
But (at least for me) i get an awesome customer service from Apple if i have trouble or a faulty device, wherever i bought it.
Depends on where you buy, i guess... i rarely had bigger issues replacing, or having something in my computers repaired. I once had the case that the company where i bought the PC couldn't replicate the issue, because i had blue screens, or black screens every 4 months when starting the PC, and, of course, those didn't appear in the 2 weeks they had the computer. ;) Apart from that, no problem really. Especially the bigger stores like Amazon are very accomodating and quick to handle warranty and support. And the many smaller issues you can usually solve with a Google search.

No offense, but, i guess i'd be a little pissed off anyway, if i paid Apple prices, and wouldn't get good support then. Recently ordered a Macbook for a relative BTW. And shaked my head in disbelief about... 300 € for 128 GB additional SSD disk space. :dog: Seriously, that's quite hard to take, but, it's not my money in the end.

Return to “Instruments”