DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

Teksonik wrote:.... I get what you're asking for but like I said it may not be possible due to the Unison Engine Architecture so here's a least a workaround to get some pretty awesome detune capability if you know what you're doing. No, it's not what you're asking for but I was just trying to help your dumb ass. A mistake I shall not make again...... :wink:
Hahaha, what the hell?!

I'd like to teach you some manners in person, but lucky for you, I probably won't have that chance. :wink:

Ghost Dog wrote: I'd like to teach you some manners in person, but lucky for you, I probably won't have that chance. :wink:
You must have manners to teach them...... :wink:

I live in Las Vegas and flights are landing every minute from all over the world. Hop on one and PM me when you get here. You can make it a one way ticket.......... :lol:

Look, I get what you're asking for but:

A: It's not currently possible in DUNE 2.

B: It may never be possible.

So we work with what we've got and hope for the future. For the record I'm not against your request in the least bit. I simply have the feeling it may not be possible just like when I asked for Per Layer Arps a long time ago....not possible due to the Unison Engine architecture. Ok fair enough. If it can't be done it can't be done.

Anyway my point was / is there are several ways to get some nice detuning effects right now so we work with what we have. Hopefully your feature request will be added to DUNE 3 along with the requests of all the other users. Only time will tell.......
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:So we work with what we've got and hope for the future. For the record I'm not against your request in the least bit. I simply have the feeling it may not be possible just like when I asked for Per Layer Arps a long time ago....not possible due to the Unison Engine architecture. Ok fair enough. If it can't be done it can't be done.
It can be done, I think, after looking at it again, it's just a bigger task. Instead of a fixed arp per layer I'd prefer multiple arps though, just like there's multiple LFOs and multiple MSEGs. The end result may be similar, but it fits the current architecture more and allows routing e.g. two layers to Arp #1 and two other layers to Arp #2, etc. - more flexible :)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

is it just me or is the 8 layer system too annoying? i bought the WORLD OF CINEMATIC xp and it sounds just awesome! i try to learn the patchbuilds and it is so much clicking in each layer with all the windows, i dunno, omnisphere 2 never annoys me like this with complex patches...
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Richard_Synapse wrote:
Teksonik wrote:So we work with what we've got and hope for the future. For the record I'm not against your request in the least bit. I simply have the feeling it may not be possible just like when I asked for Per Layer Arps a long time ago....not possible due to the Unison Engine architecture. Ok fair enough. If it can't be done it can't be done.
It can be done, I think, after looking at it again, it's just a bigger task. Instead of a fixed arp per layer I'd prefer multiple arps though, just like there's multiple LFOs and multiple MSEGs. The end result may be similar, but it fits the current architecture more and allows routing e.g. two layers to Arp #1 and two other layers to Arp #2, etc. - more flexible :)

Richard

Multiple Arps would work. I love to set different speeds and directions for Arps and of course if each Arp has the Sequencer capability of the Current Arp that opens up a lot of possibilities. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Caine123 wrote:is it just me or is the 8 layer system too annoying?
It's just you........ :wink:

The 8 Voice (Layer) System can be complex but once you learn how to use DUNE 2 properly it's anything but annoying. I find the 8 Layers quite enjoyable to use and they are what give DUNE 2 it's signature sound.

Dune 2 is a best

Teksonik wrote:
It's just you........ :wink:

The 8 Voice (Layer) System can be complex but once you learn how to use DUNE 2 properly it's anything but annoying. I find the 8 Layers quite enjoyable to use and they are what give DUNE 2 it's signature sound.
I think it would have made more sense for them to not refer to the layers as 'Unison Voices', I think that's where some of the confusion comes in for some users just starting to get to know the synth, but once you realise it is actually just separate layers (that just happen to have a detune unison like control for them) then it all makes sense and is easy.
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

Annoying? Man it's one of its best strength actually, a very powerful way to create complex patches / sounds. It’s everything but annoying really! That's like saying the layer system in Photoshop is annoying, while it is its best and most mighty feature and way to create complex work.

Indeed as Arksun said, and well said to explain, it’s just layer system stack upon each other. Just like Photoshop. Sound layers, that’s it.

it’s for the preset designers. Truth is, in today’s digital daw environment there is ZERO reason to have a multitempral synth. It would be much more practical to have one layer done to a much higher degree of quality, but the EDM preset designers would be chit out of luck.

Dasheesh wrote:

it’s for the preset designers. Truth is, in today’s digital daw environment there is ZERO reason to have a multitempral synth. It would be much more practical to have one layer done to a much higher degree of quality, but the EDM preset designers would be chit out of luck.
i prefer less windows/clicking like avenger.... dune 2 sounds awesome but the mod matrix etc. is so fiddly
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Dasheesh wrote:

You know, in magic wonderland, devs could make their synths super high quality, you could play a thousand voices without a crackle or glitch, and everything would be in audio rate. On planet earth, you have to make those flagship VA's with hundreds of oscillators, and 10 layers with a compromise of sound quality and performance in mind. And EDM has absolutely nothing to do with it, no matter how much you insist on it. :party:

Actually, i have no idea how you even came up with the idea... i don't think Dune 2 was made with "EDM" in mind. Or any other synth, for that matter. You mentioned Spire as a EDM synth some times. Well, yeah, the majority of sounds they sell on their store if for EDM. But, i don't think i heard one EDM sound demo, when they initially released the synth. I think you have to distinguish what a synthesizer initially is, and what the majority of sounds for it is marketed for. And the EDM crowd isn't into bad synth either. So, basically, your argument has zero real world foundation.

Wow, so now we're blaming EDM on the synths that are made.

Why don't we put the blame for "bad" EDM where it belongs...on the mindless monkeys who make this crap.

@ CHK. I was sure you would be the first to respond to that bit of truth, but Caine beat you to it. There is a reason people love DUNE2. I am down to 4 instruments and a drum sequencer. One of those instruments is Dune2... because it's done to a high degree. It's the audio rate updating that makes it special. It's hard to find an instrument that lets you work the filter cutoff at audio rate. It's rare. You want to know why? EDM. It destroys everything it touches.

Now, there is only a few bitches I have with Dune2.... 8 part Multi was one of them. It's ridiculous. I have NEVER IN MY LIFE. Never in waldorf days, never in Virus days..... NEVER seen a multi built with more then 4 parts... the hardware couldn't even handle it and it's pointless. There is NO reason for it.

Further more... being that Dune 2 is one of 4 software instruments I use... I am VERY concerned about the Dune 3 build, and the words coming out of Synapse's mouth are not reassuring. He is bending to the EDM crowd to add feature upon feature at what cost? I will withhold judgement until judgment day, but there is only one way you are going to add all those features and that's if it sounds like DOO DOO.

Dasheesh wrote:@ CHK. I was sure you would be the first to respond to that bit of truth, but Caine beat you to it. There is a reason people love DUNE2. I am down to 4 instruments and a drum sequencer. One of those instruments is Dune2... because it's done to a high degree. It's the audio rate updating that makes it special. It's hard to find an instrument that lets you work the filter cutoff at audio rate. It's rare. You want to know why? EDM. It destroys everything it touches.
But that's absolute nonsense. The creator of the Virus synths, Christoph Kemper actually mentioned in an interview once that he made sure the modulation rate of the Virus is very high (i don't think it's audio rate, but, pretty high. I don't think audio rate would have been possible with the amount of processing power of the Virus' DSP anyway), and that synth has become a major synth for EDM. Of course they also want a lot of voices and unison for those genres. And the synths respectively will have to be compromised, if they should offer a lot of voices. And that's about everything that is to it. More voices=more compromise. No matter how much you demonize EDM here. :D

If you want less compromise, more "sound quality", go for a synth with a low voice count. Or wait until we have CPU's which can compute 50 Legends, Monarks and Divas at a time. Even though i wouldn't know why you'd want to, with so many classy unison monster VA's out there.

Return to “Instruments”