DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

Krakatau wrote:
ok..my bad if it sounded as a negative comment (at a critical moment...sorry i did not realise),because i didn't intended it that way
i 'm totally confident of the flexibility of this instrument (i simply wouldn't have bought it !) but do you really mean that you could connect voices through mod matrix to virtually create bigger FM algorithm ?
It's not negative, it's just something that you're not yet aware of, but when you find out, it's a bit of a shock, because it's so damn cool.
Choose 8 voices with 16 poly.
Click on osc1 change to FM module. Do the same for osc2. (you need to turn this operator on by changing the 0 above it to 1 or more, as osc2 is off by default)
Now click on the voice selection 1. Not the voice solo one above, but the one below that one. (right side) Now click on copy. Then select voice 2, and press paste. Repeat for all 8 voices.
You now have 16 FM modules. Then you can individually set them different by just selecting any of those voice buttons.
I'm not in my daw right now, so can't look to see what exactly the voice selection is called. Select different voice numbers and tweak the two FM modules, then repeat with a different voice number.
Then mix them with different filter and envelope settings too.
Then use the mod matrix to modulate even more.
It's freeking amazing once you get the hang of it.
It's also a cpu eater if you stack too many voices though.
edit:
Just remember to have both FM modules at first, turned on. The second module will be set to 0 oscillators by initialize default. You need to change that to 1 or above for it to actually be turned on. It's at the top left above the osc/wave settings. Then do the copy and paste thing.

and you can add some superwave (not only supersaw but any wave can have up to 32 osc ) and wavetable into the equation
the result is several thousands of oscillator running

I wouldn't buy Dune 2 for it's FM capabilities. It's nice that it's in there, and it adds a lot to the synth, but you aren't going to be able to dig into FM with it like you would with a dedicated FM synth. I see it as a way to add grit, punch and texture, or to do simple EP/bell/Megadrive layers.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:I see it as a way to add grit, punch and texture, or to do simple EP/bell/Megadrive layers.
What else is FM good for ? :hihi:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Cytospur was working on connecting operators from different layers in a way to make more complex Algorithms but I'll let him explain how in detail......... :)

EDIT: Ooops I see he has already done so on the previous page............
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Guys, I'm curious to know...what are your feelings about the MSEGs? I just can't seem to use them correctly. I wish I had a normal MOD envelope with knobs.. :(
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Mon May 12, 2014 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yorrrrrr wrote:Guys, I'm curious to know...what are your feelings about the MSEGs? I just can't seem to use them correctly. I wish I had a normal MOD envelope with knobs.. :(
It would be nice to save the MSEGs in case we wanted to use them for other presets.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Concerning FM two things I'm missing: Feedback and zero freq carriers.

Chris-S wrote:Concerning FM two things I'm missing: Feedback and zero freq carriers.
Concerning Feedback: what about the "FBK" knob?

Depending on the algorithm this seems to be used for different operators (either A or B). Maybe you are missing feedback for the carrier? So far it only seems to work for the modulators A or B.

The impact of the Feedback really seems to depend on the setting of the operators like e.g. "AMT" or "Ratio". The biggest impact should be noticed with the "AMT" knob of the operator used for feedback set to maxium (operator C always seems to be the carrier).

I guess it was already mentioned but there seems to be another way of doing FM in DUNE 2. In the mod matrix you could use one od the oscillators as a mod source (e.g. "Osc 2" as a source) and route it to the pitch of anothe oscillator (e.g. "Osc 1 Semi" or "Osc 1 Fine"). This way you could also use e.g. a wavetable for doing FM (or maybe better call it "cross modulation" in this case).

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon May 12, 2014 8:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Chris-S wrote:Concerning FM two things I'm missing: Feedback and zero freq carriers.
As the previous person said you can do FBK already using the FBK knob, but you can also do feedback using the output from osc1 or 2 to feedback to FM Amt A, B, and/or C using the mod matrix. You can even crossmodulate from osc1 to osc2 FM Amt A, B, and/or C and vice versa.

Also, you can have osc1 and osc2 set to FM with output from osc2 controlling FM-A amt of osc1. This gives you close to a 6-op serial chain of operators. Add on osc3 to modulate FM-A amt of osc2 and you have a 7-op chain. Now throw on all the possible feedback and cross-modulation routes, plus the 2 different FM algorithms and you have quite a beast! Then move on to the next voice out of 8 8)

Zero freq carriers - do you mean DC offset. I have a wavetable that I've made for that where I use an osc in the mod matrix to modulate WT position.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

Zero freq carriers - do you mean DC offset.
When you put a carrier to zero you can achieve a waveshaping effect.
The carrier-waveform is the transform-function in this case.

Do you have any links I can read up on please? Sounds interesting :)
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

Some words from me....

Sound is okay, GUI looks not bad but i don't like the small window in the middle... All in all the synth is okay but overpriced, muched overpriced and it's just another VA synth, we have enough on the market...

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

I had sent most of my wavetables to Richard and he seems to like most of them.

Possible that he will use some or a bunch of them, at least those who are based on my own waveforms or with waveforms created directly in Audio Term.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Teksonik wrote:
Sendy wrote:I see it as a way to add grit, punch and texture, or to do simple EP/bell/Megadrive layers.
What else is FM good for ? :hihi:
:hihi:

I like to use FM for those digital sounding blip and blop drum sounds :hihi:
It's also nice to add transients to stuff and Dune 2s implementation of FM is certainly enough for that!

Two of my favorite 100% FM tracks (If my ears don't lie to me, which they usually don't :hihi:):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyVgWuKtgjA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrIQuFf2uAI

I'm not 100% sure about the EP on the second one, but you get the idea.
The second track obviously also has some FX mangling going on later on.

Cheers
Dennis

Return to “Instruments”