u-he Bazille Release Date Announced!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bazille

Hey pdxindy, I know I will probably get chastised for this on this forum of all places, but thought you would be a good person to ask. Is there a good reason to get Bazille if I already have ACE? What can I do with Bazille that I can't do with ACE? It sounds like the additional filter types might be the difference here? I think ACE was supposed to be modeled after the SH-09. Bazille sounds a little more like the System (edit) 700 maybe? A little more dirty? Asking for an honest and unbiased opinion if possible, because ACE seems to be able to do most of what Bazille can do, am I wrong?

Come to think about it, it probably has more to do with HOW you use it. The lay out of the instrument itself being the major difference inspiration wise. I'm going to wind up buying this aren't I?

Dasheesh wrote:Hey pdxindy, I know I will probably get chastised for this on this forum of all places, but thought you would be a good person to ask. Is there a good reason to get Bazille if I already have ACE? What can I do with Bazille that I can't do with ACE? It sounds like the additional filter types might be the difference here? I think ACE was supposed to be modeled after the SH-09. Bazille sounds a little more like the System (edit) 700 maybe? A little more dirty? Asking for an honest and unbiased opinion if possible, because ACE seems to be able to do most of what Bazille can do, am I wrong?
ACE = VA synthesis
Bazille = FM/Phase distortion synthesis

Dasheesh wrote:Hey pdxindy, I know I will probably get chastised for this on this forum of all places, but thought you would be a good person to ask. Is there a good reason to get Bazille if I already have ACE? What can I do with Bazille that I can't do with ACE? It sounds like the additional filter types might be the difference here? I think ACE was supposed to be modeled after the SH-09. Bazille sounds a little more like the System (edit) 700 maybe? A little more dirty? Asking for an honest and unbiased opinion if possible, because ACE seems to be able to do most of what Bazille can do, am I wrong?
They simply sound different. Even simple VA sounds seem to be sounding quite different (I assume the filters are different internally) so yeah, you can't exactly substitute one for the other even with simple sounds.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Thank you. The examples I'm hearing seem to indicate ACE is rounder, smoother, phatter. Bazille seems dirtier, sparklier, and mind expanding. I think I might be in. Thanks again.

The quick answer to your question is ACE cannot come close to the range of sounds possible with Bazille.

Bazille is basically an FM (plus) synth and has very different Osc's from ACE. One Bazille Osc has a lot more timbral variety than an ACE Osc. ACE can do some fine FM stuff too, and also has OSC Sync... and a few other tricks up its sleeve.

The new Bazille filter is distinctly different from the ACE filter, and IMO the best software filter I've ever used. It is startling in its character and musicality.

Both synths sound quite different from each other.

Beyond that, Bazille is just more. More of everything. Bazille has Lag Generators, Inverters, Rectifiers, Quantizer. ACE has none of those. Bazille has 2 Mod Mappers, 2 Ramps, 4 Multiples and 4 Envelopes. The Bazille Envelopes can be re-triggered by the LFO's, Ramps or the Sequencer. And there is that Sequencer which is a uniquely versatile tool that can be modulated at audio rate and used as a sound source.

In terms of modular flexibility, ACE is a compact little terminator, but Bazille is f'in godzilla! 8)

After currency conversion... Bazille is momentarily a little cheaper than Ace.

This is the same example I posted a few posts above. It is 1 Osc, and the Osc is a simple sine wave and only Osc volume is modulated. All the rest of the sound shaping is coming from the filter by feeding the LP12 filter output back into the input and also modulating cutoff via the BP output (multiplied by a re-triggered envelope) plus some noise mod and then the LP24 out to the main output.

You can wire the ACE filter up in similar (but not quite so flexible) ways, but it does not sound like this. The Bazille filter is something special! I'd guess it is the fruit of all that research and learning from making the Diva filters and applied to the modular Bazille concept.

http://draigathar.org/sounds/B38.mp3

another example similar to the previous one in the wiring... the filter is so expressive!

http://draigathar.org/sounds/B39.mp3

pdxindy wrote:
The quick answer to your question is ACE cannot come close to the range of sounds possible with Bazille.

Bazille is basically an FM (plus) synth and has very different Osc's from ACE. One Bazille Osc has a lot more timbral variety than an ACE Osc. ACE can do some fine FM stuff too, and also has OSC Sync... and a few other tricks up its sleeve.

The new Bazille filter is distinctly different from the ACE filter, and IMO the best software filter I've ever used. It is startling in its character and musicality.

Both synths sound quite different from each other.

Beyond that, Bazille is just more. More of everything. Bazille has Lag Generators, Inverters, Rectifiers, Quantizer. ACE has none of those. Bazille has 2 Mod Mappers, 2 Ramps, 4 Multiples and 4 Envelopes. The Bazille Envelopes can be re-triggered by the LFO's, Ramps or the Sequencer. And there is that Sequencer which is a uniquely versatile tool that can be modulated at audio rate and used as a sound source.

In terms of modular flexibility, ACE is a compact little terminator, but Bazille is f'in godzilla! 8)
SOLD. :tu:

pdxindy wrote:This is the same example I posted a few posts above. It is 1 Osc, and the Osc is a simple sine wave and only Osc volume is modulated. All the rest of the sound shaping is coming from the filter by feeding the LP12 filter output back into the input and also modulating cutoff via the BP output (multiplied by a re-triggered envelope) plus some noise mod and then the LP24 out to the main output.
Thats is a great sound pdxindy... Im intrigued I tried to replicate but really couldn't get close... (mainly got alot of garbled noise, despite lots of tuning of cutoff point, and mod input)
when you say retriggered envelope, are you using the sequencer?
also are you using self resonance on the filter?, I cannot really get anything very interesting coming back thru the LP12 feed back.

thetechnobear wrote:
pdxindy wrote:This is the same example I posted a few posts above. It is 1 Osc, and the Osc is a simple sine wave and only Osc volume is modulated. All the rest of the sound shaping is coming from the filter by feeding the LP12 filter output back into the input and also modulating cutoff via the BP output (multiplied by a re-triggered envelope) plus some noise mod and then the LP24 out to the main output.
Thats is a great sound pdxindy... Im intrigued I tried to replicate but really couldn't get close... (mainly got alot of garbled noise, despite lots of tuning of cutoff point, and mod input)
when you say retriggered envelope, are you using the sequencer?
also are you using self resonance on the filter?, I cannot really get anything very interesting coming back thru the LP12 feed back.
Thanks!

The envelope is re-triggered by the LFO and the LFO speed is modulated.

If you put the LP12 output directly back to the input, it will likely be too strong. I first send the LP12 output into a multiple so that you then have a separate gain control for it. Also, the filter gain is important to adjust. On the above sound, I have some resonance on the filter, but even a tiny tweak there can make a huge difference because of the feedback. So gain is everything... the Osc gain, feedback gain, and their combined gain, plus the cutoff modulation and resonance levels...

It takes some patient tweaking but once you get a bit more familiar, it is easier to guess good starting points.

Is there a good reason to get Bazille if I already have ACE?
you can't go wrong having both since u-he take care that soundwise every single product bring something different to the table. :tu:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

... and they're not really the same... to be fair.
Eternitysound VST Banks

Return to “Instruments”