Dune 2 vs Massive

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kriminal wrote:10 years? Blimey, time flies....
Does that make Massive Vintage, :hihi: - and will there be a VA'VA' of it :clown:

Igro wrote:So yeah, i'm gonna buy a new synth. These two in consideration. I absolutely love how easy you can setup modulation in Massive. Very fast workflow. But CPU is quite high (but the quality is top notch though. But then, Dune 2 quality is the same with lower CPU load). What factors can persuade me to buy Dune 2 instead? :) One thing i like in Dune 2 is the amount of effects, they are really nice.
Personally and generally speaking. I find Massive to be useful for harder sounds and Dune2 useful for more mellow/melodic sounds. Both can be used for both hard and mellow sounds of course, but that's how I feel the difference in their character.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote:
Igro wrote:So yeah, i'm gonna buy a new synth. These two in consideration. I absolutely love how easy you can setup modulation in Massive. Very fast workflow. But CPU is quite high (but the quality is top notch though. But then, Dune 2 quality is the same with lower CPU load). What factors can persuade me to buy Dune 2 instead? :) One thing i like in Dune 2 is the amount of effects, they are really nice.
Personally and generally speaking. I find Massive to be useful for harder sounds and Dune2 useful for more mellow/melodic sounds. Both can be used for both hard and mellow sounds of course, but that's how I feel the difference in their character.

/C
I've heard about Massive's harder sounds so many times already, but nobody tells why it's so. is it because it has harsher (or more harmonic) wavetables?

I think it's a combination of things such as filters, effects and how the synth does its modulation.
I think it's just a "character" thing. A Minimoog tends to create a certain type of sound, a DX7 a certain kind, etc. Most synths have a wide range but they are usually drawn to a certain type of sounds.

I guess that's why we all buy so many damn synths! The synth that does it all hasn't been made yet :D

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

PietW. wrote:
cytospur wrote:You can load your own wavetables in D2.
:tu:

The wavetables in Massive come from galbanum. Those are about 1000 waveforms. In dune2 I can load 25,000 waveforms of galbanum.
Interesting. :) Are you sure every single one of them come from Galbanum? I couldn't find any information about that through Google.

And @ Igro, PietW said around 1000 waveforms, not wavetables. :wink: Each wavetable can hold a bunch of waveforms to be scanned through by different of modulation sources. It's been discussed at least since 2006 on the Native Instruments forums to allow for user wavetables in Massive, and nothing has happened so far so it seems unlikely to me it'll happen.

Igro wrote:
PietW. wrote:

The wavetables in Massive come from galbanum. Those are about 1000 waveforms. In dune2 I can load 25,000 waveforms of galbanum.
So i can buy more wavetables for Massive then? You said that there are about 1000 of them (and there not that many inside massive)
OK. 1000 are too much but with over 80 wavetables are much waveforms. But Wavetables I can not buy for Massive.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

V-GER wrote:
PietW. wrote:

Interesting. :) Are you sure every single one of them come from Galbanum? I couldn't find any information about that through Google.

And @ Igro, PietW said around 1000 waveforms, not wavetables. :wink: Each wavetable can hold a bunch of waveforms to be scanned through by different of modulation sources. It's been discussed at least since 2006 on the Native Instruments forums to allow for user wavetables in Massive, and nothing has happened so far so it seems unlikely to me it'll happen.

On the site of galbanum is to read the waveforms were provided. Which waveforms is not to read.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

Two totally different beasts. Massive is still tops for me. DUNE2 reminds of my MicroKorg. BTW - there was a thread about loading wavetables into Massive on the NI forum. I never did it, and I know they said be careful because you can wipe out the ones it comes with. But, I think it can be done.

Massive is better for hard-hitting rhythmic sounds with a digital edge. Dune 2 is better for hybrid-style sounds and has some of the best unison features I've ever seen/heard on a synth. Overall, I think Dune 2 has the edge, because it's coding is probably more efficient, but Massive has a really fun workflow. Setting up rhythmic sounds is great fun with those step sequencers and "performer" sequencers - even though I rarely end up using those sounds :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:Massive is better for hard-hitting rhythmic sounds with a digital edge. Dune 2 is better for hybrid-style sounds and has some of the best unison features I've ever seen/heard on a synth. Overall, I think Dune 2 has the edge, because it's coding is probably more efficient, but Massive has a really fun workflow. Setting up rhythmic sounds is great fun with those step sequencers and "performer" sequencers - even though I rarely end up using those sounds :)
I noticed Massive has so called Spectrum Intensity, so the harsh waves become mellow instantly. So i don't see any issue for creating mellow pads. I think the notion "harsh" came from exploring presets only.

Decision is made. Massive. I just work faster with it. (too pity the CPU load though)

"better for hard hitting sounds" <> "always harsh"

There are tricks you can do to soften Massive's sound, but for pads I prefer other synths, because I can get a more delicate and nuanced tone, and I really like to have a mod matrix to make complex pitch variations. Massive's modulation system can really limit you and there's no matrix to fall back on.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Get the 7Skies and Adam Szabo preset pack and then tell me Massive can't do mellow creamy stuff.

Massive pads?

18:04 welcome to the pleasure dome, one preset, no layers in this nor in any other parts.
27:57 liked this one most in this demo, because while randomly fumbling on a keyboard magic happened at 28:43
I've just put this in comments section under video, so you can click there on a time link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVFFQ5Qs0yM
Soundbanks for Serum, Bazille, Diva, lush-101, Zebra2, Monark... Here

Tried Dune 2 and I like it but not enough to buy it. IMHO it sounds very compressed and I couldn't get it to sound punchy or aggressive, like Massive or Spire. While I like its modulation capabilities I prefer the sound of oscollators in Zebra. So I will skip it.

In a world of similar sounding VST, Massive has a unique sound to me, Dune is part of the other samey bunch (Again to me)
Duh

Return to “Instruments”