Vember Audio - Please update Surge

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So now we have Virsyn and Waldorf developing 64 bit versions of their plugins it looks like Surge is going to be one of the few I have remaining that I use a lot that are stuck in 32 bit (on Mac). To make matters worse I find Surge is also one of the few that doesn't work well bridged, for example in Reaper I can't load its presets and in JBridge it is also quite unstable. I know it is 64 bit on Windows and has been for some years so how about taking some time out from BitWig and doing an update for Mac users too?

The guy from Vember did a lot for Bitwig studio. Very possible he's done with Surge and on to bigger and better things, as they say. Have you emailed him?

This synth still seems to be absolutely top notch, even it is quite aged now. It's almost a replacement for my Korg radias! Also aliasing seems to be very low, much lower than lot of another synths.

If the developer would rethink a bit and make a proper 64bit version of it ( and maybe adding cross-osc-sync and cross-osc-sync/ringmod), I would buy this synth.

But it seems development totally stopped, maybe because of Bitwig.

aMUSEd wrote:So now we have Virsyn and Waldorf developing 64 bit versions of their plugins it looks like Surge is going to be one of the few I have remaining that I use a lot that are stuck in 32 bit (on Mac). To make matters worse I find Surge is also one of the few that doesn't work well bridged, for example in Reaper I can't load its presets and in JBridge it is also quite unstable. I know it is 64 bit on Windows and has been for some years so how about taking some time out from BitWig and doing an update for Mac users too?
Platform: Windows 2000, Windows XP x32, Mac OS X, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP x64, Windows Server 2003 x64, VST/AU Windows/OS X

This product is so old- that there's no mention of Vista nor Win7. It's not likely to get any further attention for Mac or otherwise. :ud:

Just install a 32-bit host/DAW if you want to work with 32-bit plugins!!

IMO 64-bit is totally overrated! I'm perfectly happy with my 32-bit OS and hope to be using that until my final days!

I put a thread up about Surge a year or two ago, because I really wanted to get my hands on it, but I could never get the demo to work on my mac (which is quite old at this stage).

I tried contacting Cleas several times (through Vember), but got no response. The Vember audio forums are all but dead now it seems.

I got a few responses from members here at KVR saying that he was working for bitwig.

As much as I hate to say it - I consider Surge vaporware at this stage. Shame... :(
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote: As much as I hate to say it - I consider Surge vaporware at this stage. Shame... :(
vaporware? Surge actually exists.

Maybe you mean abandonware?

yes, he does.

Real pity. It's a great synth. I used the original waldorf microwave wavetables in mine and got some great tones out of it.
And as someone else has mentioned, it aliases very little...

It's still on sale. Why wouldn't he improve it a little ? When he set Shortcircuit free, that was because he didn't want to develop it any further. He didn't the same for Surge... so maybe there's some hope.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

stanlea wrote:It's still on sale. Why wouldn't he improve it a little ? When he set Shortcircuit free, that was because he didn't want to develop it any further. He didn't the same for Surge... so maybe there's some hope.
It's been stagnant for years - I can't see it happening myself. I presume if he's not responding to emails or the Vember audio forum for a few years, it's pretty much gone (I hope I'm wrong of course). :(
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

zxant wrote: 

IMO 64-bit is totally overrated! I'm perfectly happy with my 32-bit OS and hope to be using that until my final days!

haha, wow someone else that actually gets it.
winxp x32 still sounds great to me.

makes me lmao all the kids now days with their little 64bit macbooks with 16gb ram
running 5mb plugins that use 500000gb sample libraries.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

stanlea wrote:It's still on sale. Why wouldn't he improve it a little ? When he set Shortcircuit free, that was because he didn't want to develop it any further. He didn't the same for Surge... so maybe there's some hope.
Yeah. Still use it here a lot too.

even seeing surge mention a couple of times by one of my favorites artists what i wish and would love to see it is an update on shortcircuit v1, just a darker theme as an option and a possibility to increase the size of fonts, just that , it´s one of my favorite vst´s (if not the favorite) but it hurts my poor eyes!! i tried shorcircuit 2, but...but..(maybe i need to spend more time with it), seems a step away from the simplicity of v1, the gui seems huge, the fonts are great here and the colors too with the possibility to do some skining, ( would love that on v1), maybe i would ad an option to turn of the v2 browser so the gui could be smaller, most hosts have browsers anyway.... well just some thoughts on one cool vst :)
Last edited by donquixote on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

zxant wrote: 

Fair enough, and your own decision. But claiming that 64-bit would be overrated is wrong, because it isn't. It has more than a few advantages over 32-bit, and also, it's time to move on at some point. Otherwise we could still happily live in caves, and run 16-bit software on our 386 computers (no modern OS still runs 16-bit programs btw).

Return to “Instruments”