One-Synth-Challenge 64: Swierk by Saltline (Voting Done: Z.Prime Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
drzewo Swierk

I think I may need to completely restart my project.
9/8 time, D Phrygian mode just ain't workin for me

Trying something new: I'm not going to do any traditional recorded tracking. I've got a live rig of 6 instances of Swierk positioned to roll with a couple arpeggiators as a live performance setup in Cantabile Solo. All my mastering effects are in that rig and I'm going to record directly to my stereo master. Could be a disaster, but it's gonna be fun!
Swierk has a great retro 70's sound, but there's something about it's frequency response that sounds off. Seems to need a weird EQ? Or is that just me?

Pulse Width Modulation wrote:Trying something new: I'm not going to do any traditional recorded tracking. I've got a live rig of 6 instances of Swierk positioned to roll with a couple arpeggiators as a live performance setup in Cantabile Solo. All my mastering effects are in that rig and I'm going to record directly to my stereo master. Could be a disaster, but it's gonna be fun!
Swierk has a great retro 70's sound, but there's something about it's frequency response that sounds off. Seems to need a weird EQ? Or is that just me?
Yeah, it's off, lacking a bunch on the high end. I tried an overall master EQ, but that didn't end up so great, so I applied individual EQ boosts to the high end on each instrument's track as appropriate, much more than I typically do, but got pretty good results. The lack of high end was so extreme in most cases that ReaEQ wouldn't boost enough to fix the problem for me. I tried a few other freeware EQ's and had really good success. Melda MEqualizer worked pretty well (nice analyzer, but colors the sound more than I'd like) , but I ended up settling on RS-Met EasyQ, which I hadn't used before but I highly recommend - it's fairly clean/transparent sounding, able to boost a lot, the interface is fast, and it's really low CPU (only drawback for me is lack of a built-in freq analyzer).

Pulse Width Modulation wrote:Trying something new: ... Could be a disaster, but it's gonna be fun!
Sounds like a lotta fun. Look forward to hearing the result.

Also agree about the freq response - looking at the EQ I had to do to get the right sounds I see quite a bit of high end boost on many tracks! Didn't twig that it was something in the synth design :-(

Overall though, I am quite pleased with the results - still a couple of niggles I would like to nail before settling for the final version ...

Hoping to see a flurry of activity soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers all,

Rob (aka doctorbob)

I think that the most powerfull thing of Swierk is ...
... His 3th Envelope.

With some crazy experiments I have made it work like a Oscilator :D . is somewhat unstable but works more or less .

Great synth.

KVR OSC Swierk Challenge

DAW: Reaper v4.67pre7/x64

https://soundcloud.com/bblunt-productio ... rk-contest

KVR OSC Swierk Challenge

Synth: Swierk (x35)

Title: I Swear

DAW: Reaper v4.67pre7/x64

Effects: ReaComp, ReaXcomp, ReaGate, JS:LOSER/TransientController, JS: SStillwell/eventhorizon2, ReaEQ, JS: LOSER/TimeDelayer, LOSER/waveShapingDstr, JS: Liteon/bassmanager, JS: Guitar/amp-model, JS: SstillWell/4x4, MAutoPan, MBand Pass, Classic Reverb, TAL Dub Delay, Twin Delay, Voxengo SPAN, Aradaz Maximizer5, Terry West CS12m, Tessla SE.

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/phantomignition/quarks-on-parade

Ableton Live 9

Swierk x 13

Ableton EQ Eight x 9, Ableton Simple Delay x 4, Ableton Utility x 3, Ableton Auto Pan x 2, epicVerb x 2

Fun fun fun.
Last edited by phantomignition on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My first entry

https://soundcloud.com/fairplay/aatw

made with

12 x Swierk
9 x ReaEQ
7 x ReaComp
3 x ReaVerbate
4 x ReaDelay
3 x ReaJS lowpass filter
1 x TDR VOS SlickEQ

Title means "Arpeggios All the Way"

Reaper source here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzx_v4 ... sp=sharing

Okay - noob question time: does anyone know how to add a control lane for the pitch bend wheel on Swierk in Reaper? I can't seem to find the automation envelope that controls it.

BK1 wrote:Okay - noob question time: does anyone know how to add a control lane for the pitch bend wheel on Swierk in Reaper? I can't seem to find the automation envelope that controls it.
Add a ReaControlMIDI instance on the same track, before the Swierk instance. Check the box to enable the Control Change section. Then, add an automation lane for the "Pitch Wheel" of the ReaControlMIDI. Yeah, it's sorta convoluted and annoying... but works fine.

Exellent! Thank you very much!

Just out of curiosity, is that how dubstep artists get that cool sequence that rises in pitch and then cuts off right before a bass drop?

BK1 wrote:Just out of curiosity, is that how dubstep artists get that cool sequence that rises in pitch and then cuts off right before a bass drop?
Sure, that's one way to do it. The neat thing about reaper is that you can make a track with just reacontrolmidi and route it to a bunch of other tracks, so you can pretty easily get a huge riser out of a lot of stuff.

z.prime wrote:
BK1 wrote:Okay - noob question time: does anyone know how to add a control lane for the pitch bend wheel on Swierk in Reaper? I can't seem to find the automation envelope that controls it.
Add a ReaControlMIDI instance on the same track, before the Swierk instance. Check the box to enable the Control Change section. Then, add an automation lane for the "Pitch Wheel" of the ReaControlMIDI. Yeah, it's sorta convoluted and annoying... but works fine.
A bit less convoluted is to open the MIDI editor for the track you want to add pitch automation and add an automation lane there. It appears to me that you can't make that a visible lane in the arrange view (without the workaround z.prime mentioned); however, it is visible and editable in the in-line MIDI editor as well.

Return to “Instruments”