Who is upgrading to ST 3 and why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Full disclosure - I'm selling/trading my IK account, but have been checking out the videos trying to suss out if I'm making a mistake.

I'm not impressed by the fact that it has a new sound library. In my opinion, the ones now are pretty good. It is 2014 after all, and I feel we're good with sounds. There definitely is some value with the new effects - but overall I don't see this as a big upgrade. Mind you the introductory price is, I think, reflective of that.

64 bit is a plus, but for me, I've been using my sampletank as a sound module - sampling what I needed, when I needed it - so it never really bothered me.

In my opinion, I think ST3 has really stayed in its comfort zone, more keeping up with the times, rather than really standing out.

Things that I think they should have added are, in no particular order:
linux support with jack support.
Flexible routing/multiband for creative FXs making.
Multistage envelopes that you could use to modulate effects.
Resampling a layered instrument to create a new instrument.
Built in recorder for stand alone mode.

I reiterate that the effects and the 64 bit do add value - I'm not convinced about the sound library. I'm on the fence of pulling my sale to upgrade - but I think that's GAS talking.

What do you folks think?

nope. demos (even with Rudess) sounded a bit GM to me.
Already got kontakt which has a ton of good sounding free stuff.

I will upgrade, when they have a %50 off sale.

Why ? Because it has taken what seems like a century to update and I'm pretty sure with all the amazing gear already out it will be a huge anti climax.
Last edited by topaz on Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think 3 IKM threads on the first page of the Instrument forum are totally boring.

Take Beano for GAS.

I haven't completely decided but I am way to the side of staying clear of IKM.

Just too many things don't set well so rather than complain about them, I'll walk away.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

I'm gonna wait for various reasons.

One of them is that I would like to see for sure what it means that ST3 is compatible with older libs.

If that is like Kontakt 5 is compatible with Kontakt 2, means that these old libs will have no dedicated GUI, just like they always were, and why then bother upgrading?

Sampleconstruct wrote:I think 3 IKM threads on the first page of the Instrument forum are totally boring.
if you create 3 IK threads in front of a mirror, the c̶a̶n̶d̶y̶m̶a̶n̶ mods appear

I will when the company responds to my support ticket and helps me figure out why st 2.5 won't install on my PC.

i'm upgrading. why? i liked what i hear in the demos (the pianos sounded like crap but i'm spoiled with Pianoteq, which i own, so no biggie), and i'd like to use a more modern interface with the old sounds. i haven't really waded through the XL, Tron, Miroslav and Xpansions yet, and those sounds continue to amaze me. there's really no way i can lose - i either get sounds that are on the same level as ST2.x, or better sounds. with better FX, better UI, new features and whatnot.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I love the "powered by ST" products, but I haven't used them since I went x64. Being able to get those back in x64 format, plus thousands of new sounds, MIDI files, arps and FX for just a $90 (at Sweetwater) upgrade is, IMHO, a no brainer.

I've paid much more for a lot less. And I know I'm not alone.

cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Bought the upgrade, love the samples. Even though I use Kontakt 95% of the time now, the idea of being able to use STank again appeals to me as I do like their instrument sampling. And for the price of a single library in Kontakt? Yeah, seems worth the risk.

ever since i got DimPro for $19 and Rapture for free, i've had no use for any other sample based instruments...flame on :x
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:ever since i got DimPro for $19 and Rapture for free, i've had no use for any other sample based instruments...flame on :x
Interesting, owning DimPro and constantly being disappointed in the samples available for it is one of the main reasons I finally broke down and bought ST2 and Garritan in the first place.

gamecat666 wrote:nope. demos (even with Rudess) sounded a bit GM to me.
Already got kontakt which has a ton of good sounding free stuff.
Rudess did just about everything that could be done to expose the flaws in a library like this. Why let a sound breathe when you can just throw everything you can at it ?? He made the basses sound totally cheesy with his runs, and that pitch bend on the muted trumpet ?? Dude might as well have scraped his nails down a blackboard

Personally, i don't expect a 33gig variety library, that covers so many bases, to beat dedicated libraries that are more focused. I didn't hear anything in basses that would stop me going to trillian (though i aint gonna take rudess' examples as gospel). I also doubt that the drums will beat the stuff i have for articulations, round robin etc. but the other stuff could work for me. I don't own kontakt, and the only other general sounds i have are from logic's exs24 included library. These sounds will beat those f'sure

to answer the original question : i went for it because :

1) i get to keep using miroslav and sampletron in 64bit
2) i get a, seemingly, decent set of bread 'n' butter sounds
3) price. At the 67 euros i paid, it would have to be real shite for me to feel i wasted the money.
4) no real risk. if i really hated it (and improved my orchestration chops enough to justify A better library than miroslav), i would easily be able to recoup my investment (and turn a profit)

Believe me, if you told me yesterday i would be waiting in line for an st3 license, i'd probably still be laughing. As it is, i got presented with the kind of no-brainer that a product at the end of it's life might cost, never mind a pre-release, flagship product

Couldn't NOT buy it. I mean....i'm stupid, but i aint no idiot :ud: :P

Sampleconstruct wrote:I think 3 IKM threads on the first page of the Instrument forum are totally boring.
I think it's more like a need to grab popcorn and watch the shows BTL! :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”