Who is upgrading to ST 3 and why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think this thread is more focused on user opinions - rather than the tit-for-tat that at least the one other thread results time and again. I'm hoping Peter actually doesn't show up here to distract from the main discussion.

I totally am in awe of Jordan's ability - but I do agree that going nuts on keys isn't the best way to highlight the product. Again - I don't think the library is the big deal - the old sounds were great, in my opinion.

I just wish you could do more.

BBFG# wrote:
layzer wrote:ever since i got DimPro for $19 and Rapture for free, i've had no use for any other sample based instruments...flame on :x
Interesting, owning DimPro and constantly being disappointed in the samples available for it is one of the main reasons I finally broke down and bought ST2 and Garritan in the first place.
dispite your disappointment in it, it remains one of the most popular sample/wavetable based softsynths ever made.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I too have all the cakewalk synths but ST has a lot to offer that dim pro does not. The tron and orchestral stuff in Miro and S Tron are very cool and the ethnic stuff is fair I would rather get RA or Silk to do that sort of thing but for what I paid I got a steal considering I got the total studio bundle with amplitube for less than $100 and they gave me EZ drummer free with that purchase. Just picked up poly KB player for $8.74 at JRR with the code "group" that is a total no brainer considering it will play any preset created on that synth. My wish lists are more guitar oriented but ahead of ST3 on the list for keys is OPX player, VB3, Korg legacy Col. via 61 micro key controller, NI Komplete, Arturia keyboard controller, GForce Minimonsta, AAS modeling collection, Uhe Zebra and Diva, East West CCC and then maybe I upgrade to ST3. On the guitar side I am lusting for an Ibanez prestige a couple of powered 15" cabs, midi guitar software forget the name, Revalver 4, HD500, GP10 and of course the ultimate an AxeFX.

layzer wrote:
BBFG# wrote:
layzer wrote:ever since i got DimPro for $19 and Rapture for free, i've had no use for any other sample based instruments...flame on :x
Interesting, owning DimPro and constantly being disappointed in the samples available for it is one of the main reasons I finally broke down and bought ST2 and Garritan in the first place.
dispite your disappointment in it, it remains one of the most popular sample/wavetable based softsynths ever made.
Well considering it's yours for life once you buy it (or in my case, got it with Sonar) it certainly becomes ubiquitous. It should be one of the best, but sadly the samples available make it one of the worst. Not even in the same class as IK. Especially now that ST3 is near.

Let's see. I've got Kontakt 5, Halion 5, Vengeance Phalanx Premium Version, Ableton Sampler, Image Line Direct Wave (which by the way is a hell of a lot cooler than I thought previously) and last but not least good ol' ancient Sampletank 2.5 which I don't even have installed. Uninstalled it a day or two after buying it. Always found it to have a bizarre workflow and crummy interface. Don't think I'll be upgrading.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

I will upgrade, because I like it, ST3 is a very good product. Disappointed because I remember they promised a "very special treatment" for early users (the ones who bought it 10 years ago, boxed), but no news at all about that. And because of the bloody VAT, of course (20€). For the rest, this rompler has infinite possibilities, lots of fun playing with it: 16 multi parts, internal midi sequences, quasi-synth editing manipulation, very nice/professional multi effects, the stretch engine (works well when importing your own samples) and of course thousands of sounds, plus the various SR "xpansions" and samplemoog, sampletron, sonic synth, miroslav etc. we all bought thanks to the "bargain-no brainer-crazy 5 for 1" sales. Last but not least: the factory library is customizable. Besides I loke the simple C/R license protection system and the fact it should be rather CPU friendly.
Last edited by mhog on Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orbit-50 wrote:Let's see. I've got Kontakt 5, Halion 5, Vengeance Phalanx Premium Version, Ableton Sampler, Image Line Direct Wave (which by the way is a hell of a lot cooler than I thought previously) and last but not least good ol' ancient Sampletank 2.5 which I don't even have installed. Uninstalled it a day or two after buying it. Always found it to have a bizarre workflow and crummy interface. Don't think I'll be upgrading.

.-.
Same here - never like the workflow and the samples were just ok

probably not. I've reached the point where I have nearly all the sounds I want. 5 years ago I would have bought it.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
gamecat666 wrote:nope. demos (even with Rudess) sounded a bit GM to me.
Rudess did just about everything that could be done to expose the flaws in a library like this. Why let a sound breathe when you can just throw everything you can at it ?? He made the basses sound totally cheesy with his runs, and that pitch bend on the muted trumpet ?? Dude might as well have scraped his nails down a blackboard
good point actually, it would be interesting to hear demos from others.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Rudess did just about everything that could be done to expose the flaws in a library like this. Why let a sound breathe when you can just throw everything you can at it ?? He made the basses sound totally cheesy with his runs, and that pitch bend on the muted trumpet ?? Dude might as well have scraped his nails down a blackboard
I totally agree. While Rudess is obviously a very talented keyboard player, he does seem to often go overboard, and plays stuff so fast that you can't hear the full potential of the instrument. And as the OP says, ST2 already sounds very good indeed, and I still haven't heard anything in the Rudess demoes that made me want to buy ST3.

So I'll just be waiting for the free 64 bit player version... when hell freezes over, probably.

You guys are indeed a curious bunch.

You've spent the last x many years asking when it will be released, with growing frustration.

Now that's it's imminent you're no longer interested.

Head scratching really...
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeYaHx-lkHE

Not impressed.

Even if I was using 64bit, I'd give it a miss.

No doubt IKMM will find a sneaky way of sneaking some sneaky advertisements into the GUI to encourage everyone to purchase expansions.

Nope. I'm not purchasing.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Mushy Mushy wrote:Now that's it's imminent you're no longer interested.
Yes, kinda like trying to capture the wife's attention at just the right moment for sex... "shoulda asked me yesterday, cuz I was really hot for some"... ST3 upgrades, that is...
You need to limit that rez, bro.

kbaccki wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:Now that's it's imminent you're no longer interested.
Yes, kinda like trying to capture the wife's attention at just the right moment for sex... "shoulda asked me yesterday, cuz I was really hot for some"... ST3 upgrades, that is...
You're saying it's a case of too little too late then?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Not gonna bother.

Sorry, but I find the ST3 audio demos underwhelming. This release would be more aptly named "Sampletank 2.9" because everything I heard sounds like what I already have in Total Workstation 2 -the only difference being some new effects I don't need. Couple that with already having all the bases I care about covered via Komplete, Superior Drummer and a gaggle of great freeware and skipping ST3 is a no-brainer for me. :shrug: YMMV.
Windows 7 Home Premium * Intel Core i5-3330 * 3.00 GHz * 8 GB RAM * Acoustica Mixcraft 7 * Native Instruments Komplete 10 * Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.3* Assorted Freeware

Return to “Instruments”